Webbing slings, how do you carry them

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geordie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm interested in making some loops of webbing to use for various purposes up in the tree. I've found that girth hitching a loop of webbing around a long heavy branch gives me a handle to hold so I can control where I drop it when I'm working above things I don't want to damage. I know people carry slings for doing the zipline technique. Do you just biner them to your harness or do you carry up a small bag of them?

-Geordie

I do a lot of my small rigging (100lbs ish) with them
I biner them to my harness but its annoying cause they always get caught on branches/stubs and what not since they're a loop.
I think a small bag would be the way to go

I usually carry four with a biner each.

I often use two slings with biners to catch stuff that is way heavier that I'd want to one handed saw and catch with the other hand. Use the slings and biners to catch the piece then put the saw away and unhook and toss the piece. Yes, the slings are girth hitched.

Biners and slings.jpg

I carry many webbing loops with me into a tree. To keep from them snagging on stuff compact them using Daisy Chain style knots. If you are making your own I prefer the Beer Knot maintaining about 80% of webbing breaking strength.

Go to your local goodwill store if you have one. I use a small national wildlife foundation duffle for slings. It's probably 12" x 7" x 7" duffle with 2 front pockets and a water bottle holder (that ripped though so now my water is inside the duffle with the slings) boat clipped to my saddle by the shoulder handle of the duffle so it hangs down about 2 feet from my waist. I've found all my gear bags at goodwill and I have some nice ones. Usually .99 to 4.99 per bag here.

I keep mine on a biner on my equipment loops. I twist my 4.5' loops 15 times and then attach both ends of the loops to a biner. This keeps them twisted fairly tightly and provide no open loop for them to easily snag on something. This method also shortens them to less than 1.5'

Tying or trapping sling to krab has some warnings:
Sling can't rotate freely to even wear, nor in some cases to pull evenly on each leg.
Also the trap/binding; can make it look like sling is secured on krab, but can shear thru trap/binding and come off:
mytreelessons.com/rl/images/krab_loading_captive.png
Here in this old pic i show usage, and kinda brake my own rules, but notice even then:
skinny sling harder to not notice when kicks leg of sling hi/over to inside krab/err
Has 2 turns that must 'undo' for this fault
Turns must come off in opposite directions!
Err would sit much higher than sling, when lays across captive eye:
mytreelessons.com/Foins.JPG

i love slings as a reusable, multi-purpose modular component.
Can swing sling/krab around branch standing on and catch krab thru sling/pull / already choked(all 1 handed); clip to rig line in other hand, pretty much in 1 motion.
Always kept DBY in end of line, usually clip to belt with STEEL krab for throwing weight too.
Slings, krabs etc. used to be extra stuff would only call to be sent up if needed.
Biggest learning jump was taking them up with me, and finding the ready usages for them waiting / not waiting for them to be sent up!!!

Over the shoulder for standard rock climbing length slings. It's way faster than fussing with a knot and gear loops on your saddle.

51rSWPLlloL._SY300_.jpg

The Weaver throw line bag is wonderful. I fold mine up so they fit lengthwise in here, Easy to get one out without the rest coming out, and nothing to get caught anywhere. I also use one of these on hot days to hold a 2-liter bottle of water. Fits like a glove.

Speedline varied sling usage: i re-maid this where you can slow it down/backtrack/stop.
Multi-purpose sling usage;
easy to miss is one great strategy of using sling arraignment to force last piece over slowly, hitting line softer, can also draw a limb around sideways, then speedline
then carry from softer bend of 2 points with this heaviest piece, rather than 1.

mytreelessons.com/speedline_daveSpencer.swf

edit:
another Animated.Gif i've been wanting to figure out how to enlarge and control;
for both (for me) go so fast skip over their author's work and embedded nuances too quickly.

mytreelessons.com/pyramid_theory.swf
Not really tree work except the bustin'butt , risking life, with simplest tools against gargantuan odds in hot sun with brain as best tool part.....

actually working on controlling a loaded object's frameRate and timeLine position;
to then fold in that level functionality (when needed) to main interface(already has adjustable zoom:
mytreelessons.com/rope-n-saw.swf

Use them for steps or footing, use them to handle branches, to install redirects, to drag tarps, to speedline, to lengthen a lanyard, to create capturing prusiks for rigging advantages; there are numerous uses...
I always loop and twist mine onto a biner so they're compact but ready to go. Fifteen years, they never get caught on anything. If I know I'll be using shoulder length runners again shortly, I simply carry them on the shoulder across the chest.
Good luck!

Latest posts

Back