Wedge tip for bore cutting backleaners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On small trees I cut a face and bore straight through the face the width of the bar, pound a wedge in from the back and cut the two holding straps. At least that way it is easier for me to gun the face cut.

Nothing better then watching a bunch of Arborist Attempt of a logging/Falling Contract..
They dont understand there is a big difference between us fallers and them.

SKILL KEEPS US FALLERS ALIVE , Ropes and winches keep them alive.

Nothing better then watching a bunch of Arborist Attempt of a logging/Falling Contract..

They are better than you fallers, and utility guys like me. I have huge respect for some fallers, I have learned much from them. See, the way I see it, when you are ISA certified, it can go straight to your head, and you may think you know it all. I have fell many, many trees, just with an axe, wedges and saw. No rope in every freaking tree, thats cheating, its like training wheels on your peddle bike. Some trees need a rope, but that ain't real falling, it just ain't.:chainsawguy:

I must be crazy, I have cut thousands of leaners and never once used a bore. I have used a bore to make ash trays,and in bucking to get a saw out or cut planks to make a bridge. I find the bore asking for trouble. If I suspect chair out come the strap binders never a problem.

/. DEayto , you need one of them sun balls , but I can,t figure out how to give one and they won,t let me rep ya again right now .. I must go find someother worthy individual ,.....:notrolls2::agree2::biggrinbounce2: .. We better be vewwy vewwy quiet tho ....
. This is Arborists site .......... Well all get tramped . walkin down the road kickin rocks MAD and talkin to our selves !!!!!

/. DEayto , you need one of them sun balls , but I can,t figure out how to give one and they won,t let me rep ya again right now .. I must go find someother worthy individual ,.....:notrolls2::agree2::biggrinbounce2: .. We better be vewwy vewwy quiet tho ....
. This is Arborists site .......... Well all get tramped . walkin down the road kickin rocks MAD and talkin to our selves !!!!!

I thought only we lonely foresters talked to ourselves?

Here is a tree that was bored into by helicopter fallers. You may want to discuss the technique.:):)

attachment.php

If you had wished to use ropes and winches, well, it would be a bit of a pack in. Not horribly steep, unless one is from the east of Montana, but a bit of a ways up the hill.

bore

Up here the CLP teaches the bore cut as the primary way to cut. Cut the face, if its a large tree bore the front from the middle, bore in from the side stick a wedge in, undercut beneath the wedge and drop the tree. Leaving the last bit of hold wood allows for a stand so the tree can't rock back on you and when your only dealing with 10-15" hardwoods of high value its the best way to go. No fiber pull, no excess that has to be trimmed off the but because the face is so shallow, and unbelievable control of direction so the tree doesn't get damaged on its way down. http://www.umaine.edu/universityforests/Collegiate_Game_of_Logging.htm

I thought only we lonely foresters talked to ourselves?

Here is a tree that was bored into by helicopter fallers. You may want to discuss the technique.:):)

attachment.php

If you had wished to use ropes and winches, well, it would be a bit of a pack in. Not horribly steep, unless one is from the east of Montana, but a bit of a ways up the hill.

His name isn't Larry or Mitch is it? The guy who drills the 1/4" holes in his aribox? If it is, I cut with him a few years ago.

10-15" hardwoods of high value

??????
Falling isn't yard work, is it.
Aint packin nothin extra into my strip.

Wouldn't dream of cutting some of our timber without bore cutting.

But those are just lil ol 35-40" red oaks on 70% slopes

2 days of sleet and snow, minor delay, bird ain't flyin I got time.

Nice box Burv, I have plans for one of my own,I'm thinking back of the bed behind tailgate, bottom slide out drawer with hinged lid for saw storage above. Drawer lid would make a slightly higher work bench than leaning over the tailgate, drawer for parts storage. Space for 3 saws. We'll see.

Last edited:
You guys may hardly ever bore cut out west, because the trees are different. I mean I would love to have a swath of straight conifers to cut. Back here we get alot of strange trees-double/triple stems, offset crowns etc. I'm sayin' it is good to know many techniques for many applications.

Gayer than a bag of ####s. I believe ole Joe Currie. He says "Burv they just don't know" when I asked him why you folks out east do the stuff you do.

I can never get enough of the 18-20" bars in production wood! That is rich. Thanks for the laughs.

I will say this: thanks to you west coast guys I now pack a 24 and depending on the contract I'll pack a 28.

I see alot of Amish around here doing scary things with a 20" bar:dizzy:

I'll just shut up. I deleted my mouth running again. Your welcome. I'll stick to logging, not prunning techniques in the NE.

I will say this: thanks to you west coast guys I now pack a 24 and depending on the contract I'll pack a 28.

I see alot of Amish around here doing scary things with a 20" bar:dizzy:

The really funny thing is, a 90cc powersaw really wakes up and pulls a long bar better with a load on it, not to mention the safety. Good for you!

Burv 10 ####in 4

If I had to double bore every tree I cut I wouldn't get #### done. Usually we are trying to send our trees sidehill, atleast at a 45. If the stem is too big to bor through with a 32" bar, that means you're going to be boring the underside over your head, again. And that sucks. And its tiring, and slow. Cause its steep. If you're running a 24" or a 20", you'll be facing and boring from both sides on EVERY tree. Aint no way to get nothing done.

Longer bars are faster and safer. Even on a 12" spruce with the GOL limbing stuff.

Ever buck off the top of a hardwood where you have a 35" stem sidehill with the butt 12' in the air on broken ground? KNow what happens when you get that topped? Glad I have a few extra inches, sometimes I wish I had a few extra feet.

Use the most appropriate (safety, and saving wood) and fastest technique available. Different strategies for different occasions. That means not open facing and bore cutting every tree.

Latest posts

Back