Wedge tip for bore cutting backleaners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. How High value is a tree that is 15" on the stump ....I,ve fell trees that had $ 15,000.00 .worth of logs in them in the water along side the ship ... From some of Cody's pics he may have double that dollar figure The Doug fir in Burvols avatar had at least several thousand dollars worth of wood in it .... I am positive that Gologit , Randy Mac Jacob J Coastal Faller , Oregon Faller , ect.ect.ect.ect. has me beat by double the dollar figure !!!!!! Just how high a dollar figure are we talking about with a hardwood tree 15" diameter on the stump ............. I would scoop those little poles off the stump . have them go where I wanted , never pull any wood , and never use a wedge .........
. Any one who says he is going to drop tree just said Hey everyone , watch me drop and break this tree ..........If you had to go to college to learn how to put a tree on the ground it could be observed there is very little grey matter activity between the ears .........
. People on here need to learn that you don,t drop a tree ... and if they keep saying they do they need to be put on DONT TALK FOR A WHILE ......
.University of Maine , Why not just move back to England ,,,,, give me a break , or get a clue ....

I didn't go to school to "learn how to put a tree on the ground", I learned that from a guy thats been cutting wood for 30 years and has made a living cutting 10-20" poles. In the NE we don't cut trees that have the volume like you do outwest, so the quality of the tree is much more important, so they way you FALL it really does matter. If you think your going to run around and drop a bunch of 10" oaks and have them hit the ground without a wedge I think there is very little grey matter activity between your ears. You'll end up with a bunch of trees hung up all over the place. I've been outwest, you guys don't have the understory to deal with like we do, and when your dropping those $15000 trees you don't have to worry about them hitting the ground because once there moving, there going to fall. Regardless in the NE hand falling is no longer as popular as it once was, today everything is mechanized. Production is maximized with a feller buncher, grapple skidder, and a stroke or pull through delimber. In the last couple of years most guys don't even cut pulp, they have all started to buy chippers and the only thing they buck out in the yard(which is done with the delimber) is sawlogs. I'm not doubting your abilities at all, but theres a big difference between cutting big trees, and cutting small trees and in the NE we don't grow big trees so you have to use different cutting techniques to get the tree to the ground. I've never hung a tree greater than 24" DBH, and I've back cut every single one of them.

Ya Hammer ; that would be fun ...90 % of the cutting up here is single jacking . With the right guy it is fun to double up .. Do you grind a 45degree angle on the back of your cutters ?? the makes for a smoother bore ...
. Fred , No arguement here .........its cool !!! Do you use a full wrap handle bar on your 7900 Dolmar ...????

No I do not, but I have been giving it some thought. It would eliminate some back barring and keep me on the safe side more often. But then again running away every now and then is fun.:dizzy:

Last edited:
I didn't go to school to "learn how to put a tree on the ground", I learned that from a guy thats been cutting wood for 30 years and has made a living cutting 10-20" poles. In the NE we don't cut trees that have the volume like you do outwest, so the quality of the tree is much more important, so they way you FALL it really does matter. If you think your going to run around and drop a bunch of 10" oaks and have them hit the ground without a wedge I think there is very little grey matter activity between your ears. You'll end up with a bunch of trees hung up all over the place. I've been outwest, you guys don't have the understory to deal with like we do, and when your dropping those $15000 trees you don't have to worry about them hitting the ground because once there moving, there going to fall. Regardless in the NE hand falling is no longer as popular as it once was, today everything is mechanized. Production is maximized with a feller buncher, grapple skidder, and a stroke or pull through delimber. In the last couple of years most guys don't even cut pulp, they have all started to buy chippers and the only thing they buck out in the yard(which is done with the delimber) is sawlogs. I'm not doubting your abilities at all, but theres a big difference between cutting big trees, and cutting small trees and in the NE we don't grow big trees so you have to use different cutting techniques to get the tree to the ground. I've never hung a tree greater than 24" DBH, and I've back cut every single one of them.

Sure, but we don't go out of our way to show off the crappy wood. It exists out west too, don't be fooled. I have cut in the jungle out here. Timber that won't even go down through the Dogwood and Massive Vine Maple. We just choose to pay homage to the nice wood out west, and it doesn't have to be big hammer stuff to be nice....slick and straight means something too.

burvol

I know what ya mean, every place has there crappy stuff. You just got to do what you have to do to get the job done, might not be the most enjoyable, or fastest, but you got to do it.

Hutch ; I grew up in Maine and started logging there 2 age 11 . I started falling and bucking fir pulp and hardwood firewood , White cedar fencing when I was 12 yrs old ....grew up with a chainsaw and a pulp hook in my hands . litterly . Logged with farm tractahs , jitta bugs , dozahs , hosses . And eventually skiddahs ........In Alaska I,ve fell timber from the tip of Southeast to the Fairbanks area ....... I aint the tramp bushler for nothin ya know .......
. Try facing some trees well beyond center .... On good ground that works well alot of time but you need to be ready to hog off the back cut ....... A faller named Butch from somewhere around Ronan, Montana .taught me that trick . only alot of time he wouldn,t put any face cut in other than the horizontal cut then rip off the back ..........Some guys actually called that a Montana face ..... It,s how Lonnie Serret got killed on Long Island . Plus a number of other things ............ It is more commonly called match cutting .... You don,t pull wood ..... I use it ALOT with the small stuff . 16" dia and smaller .. It,s fast but ya gotta be able to run .. if you can,t run for your life ... don,t do it ..

A bear proof suit equals a large caliber revolver ////....

Lol I think he is talking about the euro style safety equipment and space helmet.
I have actually heard them claim they could survive a bear attack because of all the chainsaw safety gear.
Talk about a false sense of security :dizzy:

I know what cut your talking about. And yes, I have used it several times. I really hate having to chase trees down hill. It's a pretty easy cut to make, take's maybe a couple more minutes to set up.

Lol I think he is talking about the euro style safety equipment and space helmet.
I have actually heard them claim they could survive a bear attack because of all the chainsaw safety gear.

Hmmmm...any volunteers? We'll need video, too. And the name of their next of kin.

how did we get on the bear thing anyway ..

... Where I,m cutting right now there are a fair amount of trees that are pretty straight . By cutting beyond half I can get them to go where I want without wedging much if at all .... Alot of times that is what a step dutchman is .. It has warmed up here , yesterday it was around 20 above for a little while ......Warmest it,s been since early November ... I need to figure out how to put pics on photobucket from my LG Script phone ............

... Where I,m cutting right now there are a fair amount of trees that are pretty straight . By cutting beyond half I can get them to go where I want without wedging much if at all .... Alot of times that is what a step dutchman is .. It has warmed up here , yesterday it was around 20 above for a little while ......Warmest it,s been since early November ... I need to figure out how to put pics on photobucket from my LG Script phone ............

Sorry was talking about the Montana face comment run like hell snap cut thingy. That is needing a bear proof suit right there lol.

When you look up and only can see the hump of a bear and it is almost eye level , I,m 5'9" ...

.Since sometimes all you can see is 10 yards or less thru the brush .....I,ve burned hundreds of gallons of gas thru saws with a big pistol on my wedge/fuel belt ................

.Ya learn to fuel first , then oil ... Several times I,ve had to get the cap on and start the saw to keep a bear away ........They are real curious , and not scared .. But they don,t like a running saw .... Most bears are not eye level .. But I,ve bumped into a number of them .that are ...........

When you look up and only can see the hump of a bear and it is almost eye level , I,m 5'9" ...

.Since sometimes all you can see is 10 yards or less thru the brush .....I,ve burned hundreds of gallons of gas thru saws with a big pistol on my wedge/fuel belt ................

.Ya learn to fuel first , then oil ... Several times I,ve had to get the cap on and start the saw to keep a bear away ........They are real curious , and not scared .. But they don,t like a running saw .... Most bears are not eye level .. But I,ve bumped into a number of them .that are ...........

I have bumped into a few here that meet that specification of eye level. Black bears though in the 6 hundy pound range.

I mean when they have all 4 feet on the ground and the ground is flat and level . The hump is eye level ..... Brown bears .. with 8 and 9 " wide front pads ..

I have seen black bear with their back at eye level on flat ground here. There front tracks are wider than my hand spread as wide as I can get it. There scat as large as a dinner plate. 6 to 7 hundred pound black bears are not uncommon where I hunt.

I have not ever been around any big bears.
They killed the last one in CA back in the 50s.
But we have an over abundance of the little ones. The have a presence all their own. They will get out of your way if they feel like it. They don't like a running saw either and usually will slip out ahead of you.
But at night the dirty scoundrels will tear up all kinds of stuff just to chew some candy wrappers in the trash.
Powerful they are, they tear up everything between them and what they think might be food.
Everything I have ever heard is that the big bears are much more aggressive and dangerous.

Latest posts

Back