Well, BROKE in my splitter today...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I found my weak spot. The angle I used to tie my push block onto my beam doesnt like to stay welded on, this is the second time its broke. I am going to switch things around and attach a wedge to the cylinder and weld my push block onto the beam. I noticed with the block attached to the cylinder if the end you were pushing on wasnt square with the block, it would try to square up, and I think thats why it keeps breaking.

My Stihl dealer sells Iron and Oak splitters and I know I can buy a wedge to fit my 8" beam as they have one, as long as its not to expensive.

I'd beef it up and leave it where it is. Don't you like having the split wood go off the end of the splitter? If you switch, won't your wood be falling right at your feet? Plus, you can't add a 4-way.

Falling at your feet

I like the design with the wedge on the ram I hate to have to walk to the end of the splitter to pick up the piece to split again or to toss out of the way. Northerntool.com has splitting wedges if you dealer wants to much. The price of steel and metel is up so im sure their prices will be to.

I got sick of my 4-way riding up so I cut it apart and welded the cross wedges right to my upright wedge. It's pernament, baby. Having a homemade splitter, I'm usually fixing a weak spot, and that usually uncovers the next one. I still haven't made a permanent fix for my ram attaching to the beam. I changed the bolts to a grade 5, that helped but it's still loose.

I have a different method

I like to do the slider with bolts. Bunches of 'em. Make your plate like 2 inches wider than the beam. Then find a piece of steel just a hair thicker than the web of the beam. Then another piece that will stick under the lip of the beam. Clamp everything and head for the drill press. Use atleast 6 or 7 grade 8 bolts per side. 3/8 or bigger. This has the advantage of being removable. The problem with welding is that you can't get a bead where you really want one. Down in that skinny crevice.
-Pat

CaseyForrest said:
I found my weak spot. The angle I used to tie my push block onto my beam doesnt like to stay welded on, this is the second time its broke. I am going to switch things around and attach a wedge to the cylinder and weld my push block onto the beam. I noticed with the block attached to the cylinder if the end you were pushing on wasnt square with the block, it would try to square up, and I think thats why it keeps breaking.

My Stihl dealer sells Iron and Oak splitters and I know I can buy a wedge to fit my 8" beam as they have one, as long as its not to expensive.

Yep, problem is you cant run a bead where you need it. As far as either wedge on the beam, or on the ram. I was actually going to build it with the wedge on the ram originally, but got lazy and just wanted it together so welded it to the beam...Murphys Law?

I agree, untill I get a table built off the side,(which may come sooner than I expected), I would prefer the wood fall at my feet, instead of off the end where I have to walk around and pick it up. Despite what it seems like alot of you have read or heard, you can have a 4 way mounted on a ram driven wedge, but only one that is used horizontally. 4 way isnt that big a deal to me, yet.

I don't split anything too gnarly, that stuff goes in the future bonfire pile. But speaking of getting a piece of wood stuck, I've used a chain wrapped around my pushblock and the wood and used the hydraulics to pull the wood back off the wedge.

Getting logs stuck huh? I get them kinda wedged since my splitter I have been using the last few years is only rated about 20 tons. At my place if it is wood it means it will absolutely get split and sold. The knots often get stuck but it's got a log dejammer on it so just reverse the cylinder and it pushes the log right off. I will attach a picture from their website. Might be a little hard to see but simply back the cylinder up and the stuck log catches on sides which keep the log front moving up with the cylinder. Very simple and would be extremely easy to do to an existing splitter. I would guess I have split over 250 cords of wood with this machine and have never spent more than 30 seconds getting a log unstuck.

Back