Western cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
<p>I recently was asked about western timber falling practices and though I'd share the info so that eastern fallers can compare notes.<p/>

<p>1- Partial cut "slim and trim": This is a method usually used in commercial thin jobs on second or third growth ground. The trees are felled and the majority of the tree cut to log lengths, except leaving the last bit of brushy top. The brushy tops are yarded in separately during the clean-up phase, because most commercial thin jobs have a slash disposal disclosure in the contract. The tops are dealt with at the landing either by salvage buyers or the landing crew and mechanically piled to be burned later. Fallers are usually paid fell and buck scale on these jobs, except for "gunny-baggers", cutters who sub-contract the cutting exclusively and bid the jobs either by day rate or a set price for the entire unit.<p/>
<p>- Tree length- Trees are felled and left tree length to be yarded by equipment, except one log length is taken off of any butt over 22" or 24", and two log lengths taken off of any butt over 32". This is because most delimber or dangle-head processors can't handle wood over 22" or 24" on the big end. Fallers are usually paid day-rate in this scenario and these cuts are always clear cuts. Some companies pay per incentive on tree length jobs, paying so much per tree and scale on any logs cut.<p/>
<p>- Full Manufacture- This is used in either thinning or clear-cut jobs. Trees are fell and bucked and all tops chased out to 8'10" logs and 5" in diameter on the small end ( some companies go 4 3/4" ). All the slash is left in the brush, so the unit can be broadcast burned or slash-planted later. Fallers are usually paid in sliding scale, making so much per MBF, with the cut-offs being at average diameters. ( I.E. $14/mbf for anything under 12" average on the small end, $11.00/mbf for anything 12" to 24", and $9.00/mbf for anything over 24" ). Companies pay for hydraulic jack use ( + $2/mbf ), while contractors bid the use of jacks into the job price. Day rate cutters are expected to use jacks where needed irregardless the wood price.<p/>
<p>Slab-outs, pistol butts, and other defects are expected to be bucked out. Fallers are usually docked for leaving long logs, wood that goes out of the unit, and sweep that isn't bucked out. If a faller is unsure of a defect then they're expected to leave the log two log lengths long and flag it for the chaser at the landing to deal with. Then the faller only gets half scale for the long log.<p/>
<p>Maybe some of you eastern cutters can fill in the gaps??<p/>

Jacob,

That does'nt sound all that different from here on the Eastcoast,except around here alot of use timber harvesters are doing log length skidding instead of tree length.I personally like doing log length cause it does'nt damage the timberstand nearly as much as skidding full tree lengths,less bumping and scraping on trees that are not marked for the harvest..Makes the landowners more happy when they see their lot or tract is not all scarred up.

Later Rob.

Hey Jacob,

As far as what I do and have seen around the New England States evrything is ground based cable/grapple skidding,not too much high lead around here as a matter of fact I have never seen anyone doing that out this way..there is the occasional helicopter logging operations but not too many of those..Nice picture by the way the good ole' humbolt notch I use thatmyself quite often especially on hillsides,the people around here dont understand why I do it but hey atleast I do :) ..

Rob.

Latest posts

Back