whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a guy with a 50K grinder and his in in the shop quite frequently. I do not know what his ROI is to date, but I have a feeling it isn't too much judging by his pricing. Fact is, they are expensive to operate, and you just cannot get good money to work them as a standalone stump guy. I have a bucket, a dingo, a bobcat, a chipper, a chip truck, a ton of saws and related tree gear, and my next purchase is going to be a crane. I think I will pretty much own everything else there is that is tree related before I buy a grinder. At least until my stump guy is no longer available....
I have owned a 665B and a 60tx unfortunately I lost both in the divorce , that being said I went out and bought a brand new 352 all loaded up and have owned it since new in 05' other then the engine being flawed I have not had many issues with it , with coat of rental that machine has paid for itself 2xs so far , now that I have it completely figured out I suppose I won't buy another for quite some time there's money to be made with them , my buddy does solely stumps owns a tow behind and a few walk along sides and he makes more money then me ! LOL it's all in the operator with them

I have a guy with a 50K grinder and his in in the shop quite frequently. I do not know what his ROI is to date, but I have a feeling it isn't too much judging by his pricing. Fact is, they are expensive to operate, and you just cannot get good money to work them as a standalone stump guy. I have a bucket, a dingo, a bobcat, a chipper, a chip truck, a ton of saws and related tree gear, and my next purchase is going to be a crane. I think I will pretty much own everything else there is that is tree related before I buy a grinder. At least until my stump guy is no longer available....
I have owned a 665B and a 60tx unfortunately I lost both in the divorce , that being said I went out and bought a brand new 352 all loaded up and have owned it since new in 05' other then the engine being flawed I have not had many issues with it , with coat of rental that machine has paid for itself 2xs so far , now that I have it completely figured out I suppose I won't buy another for quite some time there's money to be made with them , my buddy does solely stumps owns a tow behind and a few walk along sides and he makes more money then me ! LOL it's all in the operator with them

It comes down to the operator and maintenance,some guys are super ruff on grinders(grinding with dull teeth) and others take care of the equipment . Sharp teeth and greasing on a regular basis also a clean air filter will go a long way.

How's the bucket doing ducati ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doing great Chris, love the truck to death. Let me know when you're ready to sell the el!! Also, I asked earlier, but did that ticket from the GW bridge ever come? I want to pay it.

It comes down to the operator and maintenance,some guys are super ruff on grinders(grinding with dull teeth) and others take care of the equipment . Sharp teeth and greasing on a regular basis also a clean air filter will go a long way.

You're right. But how many hours do you realistically think you can get out of a machine like that 60tx you guys just got? Nowhere near what you can get out of a chipper, I'm sure of that much. My guy is ex military and a pilot, insane with the maintenance thing. He says they're still whipped at something like 1600 hours (if I remember correctly). Doesn't seem to enticing at 50k. That's why I just let him have at it. I guess it would be different if he wasn't so cheap and good. I can see where a company as busy as yours would have to own one though. Just my thoughts on the matter.

That's all very true. But it's a regional thing also. Especially with a stand alone stump grinding business. In some areas stumps just don't pay anything. Too many people doing it for almost nothing. I bought two new machines a couple years ago but the only reason I did was because some of ones here grinding for almost nothing starved out. If you go 100 miles east of here there are F'ers grinding 36" diameter stumps 12" deep for $40.00

No money in stumping in my neck. I often sub them out at cost just to get the job. Again, the guy I use charges prices I wouldn't get out of bed for, and he has a note on the machine, the brand new chevy 2500 that pulls the brand new 7k enclosed trailer it's housed/transported in. No thank you.

No money in stumping in my neck. I often sub them out at cost just to get the job. Again, the guy I use charges prices I wouldn't get out of bed for, and he has a note on the machine, the brand new chevy 2500 that pulls the brand new 7k enclosed trailer it's housed/transported in. No thank you.

I think there's money in it. My guy seems to really hustle and work on volume. I'm sure its nice to pull in $800 or more a day by yourself. I just couldn't imagine dealing with all the headaches that go along with it. I mean I get lazy enough about tree estimates. I couldn't imagine chasing calls about $200 stumps (and less) around all day.

You're right. But how many hours do you realistically think you can get out of a machine like that 60tx you guys just got? Nowhere near what you can get out of a chipper, I'm sure of that much. My guy is ex military and a pilot, insane with the maintenance thing. He says they're still whipped at something like 1600 hours (if I remember correctly). Doesn't seem to enticing at 50k. That's why I just let him have at it. I guess it would be different if he wasn't so cheap and good. I can see where a company as busy as yours would have to own one though. Just my thoughts on the matter.
No doubt that stump grinders take the most abuse out of tree equipment but I have seen guys blow through a grinder every 2yrs and to me that is insane. The new grinder we got I expect it to last 5/7 yrs . The sc 752 we have is 8 yrs and going strong .

I got 2200 hours on one of vermeers biggest grunder flops , the 352 you can get some time outta one you just gotta keep the teeth sharp and not take huge bites

1. I couldn't imagine chasing calls about $200 stumps (and less) around all day.
Yeah, in many cases a lot less. We got caught finishing up a job in Tyler, TX a few years ago without a grinder of any kind with us. We usually carry a 27HP handlebar machine with us all the time just in case but we were doing a trim only and I left it at the shop to get serviced with some other stuff. Anyway...the dude comes up with two 18" diameter stumps he wants ground and when I tell him we didn't know there was any stump work involved so we don't have a machine with us he starts to get the red ass about everything so I drive to a store down the street to look at a Tyler phone book and see who grinds stumps in Tyler. One guy didn't answer so I leave a message and the other started to freak out when I told him I was looking to get it done THAT DAY in fear he might miss out. He hauls ass over there looks and tells me $60.00 for both of them. I say get after it. Before he starts the other guy calls back (he is 30 miles east of Tyler) and says he is burning rubber my direction right now. I tell him I already have somebody else and he says "F it. I'm coming any way and I'll beat his price." I couldn't believe all this ****. He shows up just as the other cat is finishing up yelling he will beat any price. That whole deal reminded me of why I don't want to be in the stump grinding business.

I won't say they are money pits, but when something breaks you better dig deep into your piggy bank.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
What piece of equipment is not a money pit for that matter. Hell you break a plastic bumper on a pick up truck and it is $1000. You have to charge accordingly to cover your maintenance costs on ALL your equipment and try to maintain them properly. I have gotten 7 years out of my RG50 and SC852 and they both are work horses. I am not sure if have the numbers correct but we have put more into our chippers than our stump grinders over the years.....I do think the lower hp stump grinders are junk so if you have one of those....then yes, they may be money pits......

Latest posts

Back