whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blah, blah, blah (no offense). All I know is that I've never heard that little voice inside (as with the other equipment I've purchased) that screams "oh, man, if I only had a 50k stump grinder to run into the dirt and rocks, I'd really be able to rake in the dough". Lol. Just saying.

Nice day down by the river.
pety8ene.jpg
zuty2any.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdqdl......you are right their is a flaw and I indicated as so in my post. Like so many other threads on this site.....one's statement of opinion is taken as fact and thus the criticizing begins. Again, I am just saying, in my experience and my opinion.....I am happy with my stump grinders and I believe them to be a big part of my business. I know for a fact, after merging my business with another, not everyone has the same experience.

For me, I take the cost of the machine and double it and divide by the expected useful life of the machine (say 2000 hours) to come up with my cost per hour. Add operating costs, labor and overhead plus profit and I have what I charge per hour. This formula works for me.

Well...I failed to read that into your post. I wasn't criticizing so much as continuing the dialog. I think that a conversation about how to price out equipment is in order here. I kinda like your simple method of pricing a machine out. I haven't come across the "double the price" method, but that probably comes close to repairs, downtime, etc.

BTW: there is a reason that I have not sunk a lot of money into a bigger, better stump grinder. Mostly because I have not yet figured out if it is worth the trouble.

I'm cutting stumps in sandy loam soil , most of the time the only time I hit stone it was put there for landscaping , ie large landscape stone . I would imagine harder soil or marl would be much harder on a cutter , most guys here do the entire deal tree and stump . When I worked in PA the soil was red shale , even machines like the irrigation pipe pullers were getting torn up all different game , but then I would suppose you price accordingly here it's about 3.00 an inch . I just price it in with the tree .

Looks like a box blade to me. 6' Land Pride, I would guess. Probably about a 30hp Kubota tractor?

I'm guessing you drive that tractor around a lot, or those tires have had a rough life grading gravel & such. Your tires look a lot like mine: not much tread left. I don't worry about it. They do less turf damage when the lugs are worn off.

Looks like a box blade to me. 6' Land Pride, I would guess. Probably about a 30hp Kubota tractor?

I'm guessing you drive that tractor around a lot, or those tires have had a rough life grading gravel & such. Your tires look a lot like mine: not much tread left. I don't worry about it. They do less turf damage when the lugs are worn off.

Can't see all that on my phone. I would've guessed that tractor to be in the 40 HP plus range (from the other pic I saw). 30 is too small for tree work IMO. What does a box blade do (why Google it when I have you around. Lol)? I hear you on the tires, mine are worn down too, def helps with lawn damage. I dread the day I have to replace them for just that reason.

Can't see all that on my phone. I would've guessed that tractor to be in the 40 HP plus range (from the other pic I saw). 30 is too small for tree work IMO. What does a box blade do (why Google it when I have you around. Lol)? I hear you on the tires, mine are worn down too, def helps with lawn damage. I dread the day I have to replace them for just that reason.
You can get caps pretty cheap

You can get caps pretty cheap

Interesting. I didn't realize you could recap tractor tires? The point was the treads are what screw up lawns when new (like brain guy mentioned). When I got my tractor, I priced out new agricultural tires (the aggressive ones, like farm tractors have), but someone pointed out that they would torture lawns, so I didn't bother. I think they said $1100 or so for those. Not too terrible. The in between ones are called R4's or something like that. That's what I have.. perfect when worn.

Yea There's a website where my dad buys backhoe tires , I think it's called agritire they sell all different treads styles and they ware delivered . I run caps on my bobcat and you can choose a style and if you send the old ones back they charge less . Throw back on the pallet and they come back and grab em

I dunno but I know I gotta dry out a little bit. I suppose I can't live like this much longer and of course there is the risk of long term effects. But it sure is fun racing around the countryside all liquored up capping rounds out the window with my post traumatic uncle in law at 2 am... and it pays well enough. My wife is starting to get PISSED and I guess I should start my YMCA regimen health kick before I have a heart attack or need bail money.

And I started plowing my neighborhood's roads because the township seems to have stopped. I am not going to even ask for the 50 bucks they were offering though I might stop by to let them know I was doing it but its right next to the police station.

I went from a 34 hp to a 45 hp tractor. I miss the smaller tractor but the new has a grapple attachment and I absolutely love having that on the machine. I can now pick up larger logs. I don't know how many nice white oaks I cut in half because my 34 hp would not pick up an 25" 8' White Oak log.

I went from a 34 hp to a 45 hp tractor. I miss the smaller tractor but the new has a grapple attachment and I absolutely love having that on the machine. I can now pick up larger logs. I don't know how many nice white oaks I cut in half because my 34 hp would not pick up an 25" 8' White Oak log.
Well...I failed to read that into your post. I wasn't criticizing so much as continuing the dialog. I think that a conversation about how to price out equipment is in order here. I kinda like your simple method of pricing a machine out. I haven't come across the "double the price" method, but that probably comes close to repairs, downtime, etc.

BTW: there is a reason that I have not sunk a lot of money into a bigger, better stump grinder. Mostly because I have not yet figured out if it is worth the trouble.
Well, if anybody figures it out....I will be glad to listen. I used to try to figure everything out to the penny and usually lost money. Now I try to put a little pad in my formula so I am covered. There is a huge difference in pricing and costing.....

My bobcat is half the size and would prolly out pick most tractors that can be loaded and pulled with a 1 ton , and while your tractor is falling on its face with tires that are about ready to blow off there rims I am spinning around running circles like a diesel powered pixie ! Just saying

My bobcat is half the size and would prolly out pick most tractors that can be loaded and pulled with a 1 ton , and while your tractor is falling on its face with tires that are about ready to blow off there rims I am spinning around running circles like a diesel powered pixie ! Just saying

nysunuge.jpg

Latest posts

Back