whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I had my electrician disconnect the 3 copper landscape lamps that were in the way from the pine tree, sold an $800 winter job, and looked at 2 others which I know I will get. Measured the pine tree while I was there with the electrician... 66" DBH :rock:

First thing tomorrow gonna put the chipper in the driveway, then load up all my gear, hit that SOB HARD on Monday and Tuesday to get it brushed out and ready for the crane.... gotta get rid of 3 or 4 other trees in the process too.

I had a bit of a vision today. When you been round for a while like me you start to notice trends.

Manilla to synthetic. wood to fiberglass poles....wrap the tree to LD's....lanyard camming devices....self feeding chippers.. mini skids....the proliferation of stumpgrinders...

Hey back maybe 25 years ago just a few had a stumpgrinders. Tree guys, not being the sharpest tools in the sheds, were amazed at these machine operators. There were a few services that subbed out and made a ton of bucks.

Then the tree guy started to recognize that, hey, it is the machine that is amazing.....not the operator. Then everyone and their mother bought a stump grinder and devalued the process of stumpgrinding.

I see the same thing happening with crane removals. Everyone is amazed at the guy doing the crane removal. Guys buying them in droves, guys that do em think their schit don't stank. Schools popping up to teach it and guys going to learn. Guys making outrageous claims that crane removals were invented in their NE area.

Other tree guys not yet christened are boggled and amazed at the crano removal man. But it is the machine and process....not the guy.

Wait and see. It's gonna devalue as it becomes more and more commonplace.

Remember this one?...

http://www.vertikal.net/en/news/story/9102/

I see the same thing happening with crane removals. Everyone is amazed at the guy doing the crane removal. Guys buying them in droves, guys that do em think their schit don't stank. Schools popping up to teach it and guys going to learn. Guys making outrageous claims that crane removals were invented in their NE area.

But it is the machine and process....not the guy.

Wait and see. It's gonna devalue as it becomes more and more commonplace.

Remember this one?...

http://www.vertikal.net/en/news/story/9102/

tv. your article here proves your point wrong, man.

clearly its the "guy" who made the cut that brought that crane over. and as long as everyone can have use or get a crane someone who shouldn't be cutting is going to flip one.

it takes talent and skill to keep the crane shiny side up......

and unless you prove me wrong the true crane game came to be from up this way from what i understand.....

check out some old tcia ****. late 70's early 80's is when they started to get good use out of the crane.

just wait. you gonna ask me to come out there to cinci to better your crane game once that EAB truly starts to make the dead ash trees truly unclimbable. dead ash trees really make the ass pucker when it comes to climbing and it looking like that truth is going to come to fruition.

attachment.php

there she is! spammy!

Working on large prune job; 13 trees. Got about halfway through today. Had hoped to finish today or at least get a little further along and maybe finish in two hours tomorrow. Looks like I might have another full day out there. At least I got the most difficult trees done today. All rope climbing and had to rope every limb. Having to hit multiple TIPs on every tree. Just time consuming and tedious. Enjoyable day in the tree none the less.

Something weird that happened today. I had both ends of my shot line out of my cube and went to dump the little bit of sawdust and debris that had accumulated in there. I looked and saw all kinds of tiny little metal balls in the bottom of my cube. I pulled one out took a closer look and it turns out to be buckshot... Kind of weird. I guess someone showered me with buckshot while I was working one of my jobs and I didn't even notice...

yer joking right?

My point OD, is that so much crane work will be going on the schit gonna be devalued and accidents like that are gonna be more and more. Crane booms gonna have dents in em from with paint and logo's scratched off from clashing into each other. People gonna make less and less like stump grinding when the electricial and plumber guys buy a stumper on the side.

As for NE starting crane work in the late 70's and early 80's that is a major Joke....TCIA magazine wasn't even being published (it was the NAA) in 1970 when I did my first crane job with Shearer/Penn tree Co. in Princeton N.J....a tree company that would make Marquis look like the start up outfit it is. Shearer prob goes back before the 50's and ran about a dozen crews back then. Don't know where they are now.

No offense....just the black and white truth.

My point OD, is that so much crane work will be going on the schit gonna be devalued and accidents like that are gonna be more and more. Crane booms gonna have dents in em from with paint and logo's scratched off from clashing into each other. People gonna make less and less like stump grinding when the electricial and plumber guys buy a stumper on the side.

As for NE starting crane work in the late 70's and early 80's that is a major Joke....TCIA magazine wasn't even being published (it was the NAA) in 1970 when I did my first crane job with Shearer/Penn tree Co. in Princeton N.J....a tree company that would make Marquis look like the start up outfit it is. Shearer prob goes back before the 50's and ran about a dozen crews back then. Don't know where they are now.

No offense....just the black and white truth.

The name might be Shearon now though I don't really know.

When I was running my business up in Flemington NJ back in the 70's, Danno, my climber and gm's name was Daniel Murphy. Thought you might get a laugh out of that.

Reincarnation is no laughing matter... especially when you come back as the same exact thing.

Reincarnation is no laughing matter... especially when you come back as the same exact thing.

Murph was (is I am sure) a great guy, stoner, and top drawer tree guy. Kept trying to picture Philly Murph as him as they are about the same age but NJ Murph is a true blonde.

I can see this happening treevet.
Was at an auction yesterday and watched a tree company owner i know pick up a 25 ton manitex. This is a guy so small that's he's still using a chuck and duck to blow chips into the back of his pickup. Got to talking with him about his plans for it. Was really surprised when he told me that the crane will make him more money in treework than even a better chipper.
Talking with the boss this morning about that. He's running five cranes fulltime in treework right now, but he was telling me that he thinking of knocking one or two back-every tom, ####, and sally outfit in the area has picked up a crane in the last few years and he's having to run his crews further and further out to find jobs that he won't be underbid on by another outfit with a crane. Six years ago, he was the only outfit in three counties with a crane, now there are over a dozen in our county alone.
He says there still is a niche for specialty jobs with his bigger cranes, but if things don't change, he's planning to phase out his two smaller ones next year.

I can see this happening treevet.
Was at an auction yesterday and watched a tree company owner i know pick up a 25 ton manitex. This is a guy so small that's he's still using a chuck and duck to blow chips into the back of his pickup. Got to talking with him about his plans for it. Was really surprised when he told me that the crane will make him more money in treework than even a better chipper.
Talking with the boss this morning about that. He's running five cranes fulltime in treework right now, but he was telling me that he thinking of knocking one or two back-every tom, ####, and sally outfit in the area has picked up a crane in the last few years and he's having to run his crews further and further out to find jobs that he won't be underbid on by another outfit with a crane. Six years ago, he was the only outfit in three counties with a crane, now there are over a dozen in our county alone.
He says there still is a niche for specialty jobs with his bigger cranes, but if things don't change, he's planning to phase out his two smaller ones next year.

Very interesting stuff Beowulf.

Another interesting post I recently read on AS was someone (forgive my memory) saying that the electric company in their area had eliminated wire covering for crane tree removals.

They (electric) said it was because of liability concerns. Begs the question if the concerns are generated by more and more crane removals and the lack of certification or qualification ensuring the work would be not handled professionally leading to death or equipment damage (electric).

Another question might be that they are getting so many requests where a tree would previously be removed from inside the wires manually or bucketed and now are getting so many crane related wire covering requests that their (free) wire covering service is compromising their profitability.

Back