whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No shirts anymore though. I’d rather pay them more and they buy their own. I think there’s a shirt curse. Usually the end of an employee once you start with all that kind of commitment. The trucks all match and are lettered, so that’s enough in my mind, really. I might order some eventually, but that’s generally my feelings on that.

I'm just glad I'm 61 and not 17 and just breaking into this industry. But wow what a trip! If I had to do it all over again knowing what I know now...**** I'm not even going to finish that statement.

We had a holiday appreciation dinner for my guys and their families last night. Filet mignon and Christmas bonuses. Expensive night! One of my guys has 9 kids. The "kids table" was a zoo.

Do you guys pay cash for your bonuses? I hate to pay the extra 23% workers comp on it.

Jeff, what are you paying for workers comp in californiay these days? We used to pay state fund around 50%

I'm just glad I'm 61 and not 17 and just breaking into this industry. But wow what a trip! If I had to do it all over again knowing what I know now...**** I'm not even going to finish that statement.
Some of us younger guys would love to hear some of your lessons! Please do tell...

Some of us younger guys would love to hear some of your lessons! Please do tell...
Put your price out there there and stick with it. When things are good you will get it...when they are bad nobody works much anyway. Never get into a race to the bottom. Invest most of what you make back into your company...it takes a while but it pays off. Jeff is right...consider pursuing commercial work. I learned way too late how much residential sucks. Take good care of your GOOD employees. They have saved my ass. Don't get caught up in dealing with one banker. Most of them are assholes but spread it out. Take full advantage of section 179...it will be your saving grace. Try to get into PHC...it could well end up being 60% of your income. Be very careful about hiring too much family...really think that over. Don't let emotions dictate your decisions.

We had a holiday appreciation dinner for my guys and their families last night. Filet mignon and Christmas bonuses. Expensive night! One of my guys has 9 kids. The "kids table" was a zoo.

Do you guys pay cash for your bonuses? I hate to pay the extra 23% workers comp on it.

Jeff, what are you paying for workers comp in californiay these days? We used to pay state fund around 50%
Still the same Mike,, I can't wait to leave this state.
Jeff

Put your price out there there and stick with it. When things are good you will get it...when they are bad nobody works much anyway. Never get into a race to the bottom. Invest most of what you make back into your company...it takes a while but it pays off. Jeff is right...consider pursuing commercial work. I learned way too late how much residential sucks. Take good care of your GOOD employees. They have saved my ass. Don't get caught up in dealing with one banker. Most of them are assholes but spread it out. Take full advantage of section 179...it will be your saving grace. Try to get into PHC...it could well end up being 60% of your income. Be very careful about hiring too much family...really think that over. Don't let emotions dictate your decisions.

Sage words, have come too, or am working on most of those conclusions.

Sticking with “your price” is always challenging, but standing firm on that now. Have had a few chuckles with some residential undercutting lately, one had quoted a fairly unpleasant long day for a firebreak & powerline job, went higher knowing it would be a slog, but with 4WD trucks, loader & a fit, strong team, we’d do it easier & faster. Got accepted, contacted client night before, “have found another arborist to do job” was response. Wasn’t terribly disappointed, sod of a job, sod of a client.

Knew who it was do the undercutting, had a laugh to myself, 2WD truck, no machine & short hobbits on the ground. Took them three days, with all the larger wood still sitting beside firebreak looking a right mess, no budging the client from his $1,800 quote despite how many days it took them….

Meanwhile we picked up a fun, technical two day job around the corner, with a great client who plied us with food & beers at end of each day.

Starting to research cranes. As of now, I’m thinking a rear mount would be ideal (similar idea as a rear mount bucket truck; closer to the tree and better weight distribution). Does anyone have a preference between crane brands? (National, Terex, Manitex)?

Starting to research cranes. As of now, I’m thinking a rear mount would be ideal (similar idea as a rear mount bucket truck; closer to the tree and better weight distribution). Does anyone have a preference between crane brands? (National, Terex, Manitex)?

We used to have the crane guru on site. Pretty sure he taught most crane operators in your state. Lol… maybe you could try and pm him?😊

National all the way

Wisdom. Thanks!

How do you get into more commercial work? Does that include utility clearance?

We do not do utility work, but all commercial. HOA's, golf course's, school districts, municipal work, military base's, shopping centers, industrial complex's, etc,,
Jeff
SO how do you get more opportunities to bid on that kind of work? What steps does a company take to increase their percentage of commercial work and decrease residential?

Latest posts

Back