whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple nice takedowns today. Nothing exciting. Very chilly day in the 20's this morning.

Just heard back on 2 $20k+ jobs today. Grateful for a lot of work going into the winter. I'll be using my uniforest winch to move around the chipper in the snow. I was thinking of having a removable ski-like slider to put on the bottom of the jack stand so it doesn't dig into the dirt. Any of you guys use anything like that to move a chipper around with a winch?

View attachment 949939

Not sure if your chipper/s has one, but have the hydraulic jack stand (The Wahrleg) with the larger footplate (about 250 x 250mm) & extendable drawbar. Not standard on the 15" Bandit anymore, but two of the most useful features, adds a few hundred kilos, but well outweighed by how much better the chipper is behind bigger trucks.

Unfortunately don't get to drag it around in the snow, but certainly use it for skidding around in mud when it drags one of the trucks down & have to move it with machine. Have though about bolting a sleeper (200 x 75mm piece of timber) on for making a better skidded during some bogging episodes.

Finally got my custom equipment hauling body finished!

We're planning on using it to haul the mini skid and tow the dump trailer, perhaps with the tractor as well occasion. It has a diesel transfer tank and a large tool box. I'll be so happy to not lug around 5 gallon cans of diesel anymore. This has been in the works a while and will eliminate the need for an additional hauling truck since I can haul 2 machines and as many saws and ropes as you can throw a stick at!

1640122791669.png

Hows the center of gravity on that machine? Any chance of tipping over on side slopes?

There’s a high chance of flipping it over on side slopes. You raise and lower the upper boom and jib to help compensate. The tracks are also adjustable (we rarely use wide track, probably should use it more). The big thing is you can adjust the outriggers while traveling up and down slopes to keep the whole works from toppling over (unless you have a huge bush right in the way of your outrigger like that job). It’s not for the faint of heart, but you get used to it. Two and a half years later I can put these things just about anywhere.

Nice little bucket job today. Wood stayed. Cold enough to drop a lot of stuff right on the ground. Too cold for the MDS.

Bit the bullet and wired the payoff balance to Terex after work too. That’s the end of that one. View attachment 950759View attachment 950758
View attachment 950760View attachment 950762
View attachment 950764
Super cold today! The ground is finally getting nice and hard.

Congrats on getting it paid off! Nice Milestone for the end of the year

We had our last day of work of 2021. My equipment is nice and cozy for the holiday20211223_160928.jpg

Yeah, thanks. That truck was a beast to pay off. Most expensive thing I’ve paid off yet. Put 50k down on the total purchase price of $206,700, paid $2551 for four years, then finally $59700 payoff. Ouch. Would’ve been another two years of $2551 per month had I not done this… and no second lift. Winter gonna be a little lean, but now I’m ahead that much more.

Kicking the tree ass, baby. How we roll. Lol

Yeah, thanks. That truck was a beast to pay off. Most expensive thing I’ve paid off yet. Put 50k down on the total purchase price of $206,700, paid $2551 for four years, then finally $59700 payoff. Ouch. Would’ve been another two years of $2551 per month had I not done this… and no second lift. Winter gonna be a little lean, but now I’m ahead that much more.

Kicking the tree ass, baby. How we roll. Lol
Nice.

The Terex...Is that your elevator truck?

It's ok if you don't answer this- but what are your weekly and monthly goals for gross income with all that new equipment? Are you running 2 crews now with the extra lift?

These kinds of questions are helpful to me as I consider buying/financing new equipment.

Nice.

The Terex...Is that your elevator truck?

It's ok if you don't answer this- but what are your weekly and monthly goals for gross income with all that new equipment? Are you running 2 crews now with the extra lift?

These kinds of questions are helpful to me as I consider buying/financing new equipment.

Terex xt 60/70 (75’ work height elevator bucket), IH 7300 4x4 with lockers and Cummins 330hp … Allison 3500 rds. I think you can get a more stripped down truck for like 175k.

Not running two crews yet. Hopefully soon though. Would rather not talk about money like that here, just not a good idea.

One thing I will say is training a guy to run a lift is going to be a whole lot easier than climbing. Safer and more professional looking too. So many reasons the lift makes the most sense, really!

I would still never sell my bucket. They’re bad ass and when you can use them, productivity is through the roof. I guess we just have a lot of expensive tools for our work lol.

Terex xt 60/70 (75’ work height elevator bucket), IH 7300 4x4 with lockers and Cummins 330hp … Allison 3500 rds. I think you can get a more stripped down truck for like 175k.

Not running two crews yet. Hopefully soon though. Would rather not talk about money like that here, just not a good idea.
No worries. Understood.

What an awesome truck. Very tough to find something like that used right now.

My vehicles and equipment are more like tree vets. Aside from my trailers everything is basically 10-20 years old. There's always something getting repaired, sometimes multiple. I have a great Mennonite mechanic a few miles down the road who usually gets to my stuff asap.

I toy around with the idea of financing something new as we look to expand to 2 crews. It looks like it's worked quite well for you.

Latest posts

Back