whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Art from smith cranes sent me a video and a bunch of pictures of a huge k boom they built last year (effer 2200 I think) thing was wild had like 6 outriggers, that thing can't even pick 10k+ at 110' radius having that kind of capacity without needing a counterweight truck makes it a very interesting crane to consider

Art from smith cranes sent me a video and a bunch of pictures of a huge k boom they built last year (effer 2200 I think) thing was wild had like 6 outriggers, that thing can't even pick 10k+ at 110' radius having that kind of capacity without needing a counterweight truck makes it a very interesting crane to consider
Whta is this 500 he speaks of , tis a mythical beast cloked in maze and wonderment , to be unleashed on an unknowing tree @ the dawn of thee 3rd harvest moon ... It is not crafted of human hands it has been forged by the god of lift and is commanded not my man oh no no its ower shalt be harnessed by thee gods themselves

Last edited:
I climb and rope trees by myself all the time but still think that only having one guy on a crane site is completly against the rules. What kind if idiot would do that? I am glad I don't have a crane.

does seem pretty dangerous. hope there is at least someone on the ground to over ride the controls if something goes wrong

Whta is this 500 he speaks of , tis a mythical beast cloked in maze and wonderment , to be unleashed on an unknowing tree @ the dawn of thee 3rd harvest moon ... It is not crafted of human hands it has been forged by the god of lift and is commanded not my man oh no no its ower shalt be harnessed by thee gods themselves

Copma 500 series model k-boom. Is what I mean by 500.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?djm4mv

AMAZING Liebherr Excavator Climbs To The Top - YouTube

They have built some amazing equipment, this guy has bigger balls then I do.

That's why I want to see matts crane in action, hard to imagine something on a truck frame picking that much

Double truck frame they had to do something to it to keep it from twisting. During the build they did a few days worth of welding on it. I don't think they called it a subframe.

And I will definitely try and help you in getting info on it. I just have no idea when yet, pictures are easy but videos of it in action are hard. I still don't even have my trucks lettered like others have said. They or I just don't sit still long enough. I even spent thousands on a vinyl cutter to do it myself but just haven't gotten a Saturday off in months. It's rare for us not to be out on Sundays.

You can give me a call if you like and I can try and point you in the right directions or give you info on it. Just PM and let me know.

I'll snap a picture of the load chart on the side of the truck with my cellphone.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?z3ubjp

I climb and rope trees by myself all the time but still think that only having one guy on a crane site is completly against the rules. What kind if idiot would do that? I am glad I don't have a crane.

It's the idea that you could do it. To explain its versatility. You would have to be pretty simple to do it.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?vsjwdz

Smith was the first place I started talking to when I decided to get a knuckle. I couldn't do the effer after looking my next choice would have been PM or Palfinger. Effer is a good crane something about it just bugged me.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?gpikea

I know a guy in West Chester who has a smaller K-boom, he used to cut and control picks like that. Crazy Sob, nothing would stop him.

Ya that is nuts. I usually have someone watching the pressure gauges for me at least. Gotta keep it in the green :) yellow or red gets sketchy. That's how I know I don't have to keep spiking around the tree and sawing the pressure gauge will go down when it releases from the rest of the tree. On big logs it's easy to leave a small patch of wood somewhere especially when your tired. Then when you boom up it will come off like a rocket ship. So ya more than one guy is good for a lot of reasons.

The gauges are easy to explain to new guys at least. Green good, red bad.
---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?zbpz3y

Took down a medium sized silver over 2 houses, a privacy fence and low voltage and cable wires, with high voltage in range of a mistake, and my 18 & 16 yr old sons running ground. It was somewhere between a greased pig chase and a monkey ####ing a football.

It took a long time, but it came down with no damage and no dulled saws. Did get bar oil in the fuel tank of the 385, thankfully not much, and it was near full of fuel. dump, add 1/4 tank and shake, dump, refill, no probs. Had a rope sent up with a square on the running end of my climb line, and a rope sent up on a cluster####, and a thrown chain on the 346 from torquing the bar beginning a cut. They're getting better though, and Dylan understands that he only gets to put bar oil in the fuel tank once in his life, and he's used that one up. At least he realized before it was started.

Tried out a bad ass climber today, I mean this guy is really good. Got him on the biggest job I had lined up and he is just an animal.. Very expensive though, don't know if I'll be able to afford to keep him..

One job is never enough to consider the true calibre of any climber. Just sayin... 25/hour for 8 hours at six days a week does add up quick!

My 1000th Post!

The Elm(?) only took two and a half days, not 3.5 as I had allotted. Here is a photo of the leaf structure so ID should be easy now:

7219285664_27b7b400ea_c.jpg

Day one was just to get a start on the free, dropping the easy stuff and most importantly an in-tree inspection as to it's structural integrity. This tree worried me and with good reason. The vines covered all the major junctions and when removed revieled a rotted main "Y", a division that weakened both sides of the tree. In the following video you can see the hollow fissures in the cut pieces once we got it down.

The tree was very spongy and wet, yet was brittle broke unexpectedly. Shock loading this thing was to be avoided and I tried to distribute the load in my rigging of the big drops. John Boy was masterful in roping them down with the Portawrap. In the end no damage or injuries although when I dropped my set pole it hit butt first then tipped over and hit JB in the head. All on video from my 3CCD helmet cam. Lucky he was wearing his hard hat. Then today he backed into the stump grinder wheel while it was spinning down. He felt it flipping his baggy pants and stopped short of a severe injury.

This is what the tree looked like after day one:

7219286386_d77a2d87d7_c.jpg

You can see my rigging line set between the two major leads with two 16,000 lb blocks. I tried to distribute the load between the two sections and have the load vectors pull them together to keep the rotted "Y" from splitting. It would have been a bad day if they split.

On day two we got it on the ground and hauled out the tops and limbs. Great video using three 3 chip cameras, one mounted on my helmet. Some hairy drops though. Now I know why I charged the big bucks for this one. The customer got other bids but no one could get the wood out or grind the stump. Getting this job was a walk over, I could have bid $1k more and still got the job.

Today was hauling the major trunk out and grinding the stump. It was huge but pulpy, so my Steiner whizzed through it. I sent Dave and Karl home with the loaded dump truck after lunch and JB and I stayed to grind out the stump. Today was a great day, all I did was drive the tractor. I didn't even get dirty.

[video=youtube;gpqszIlRX0M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpqszIlRX0M&list=UUaaT_qAfDa8u2flhJ7rV6Ig&index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

You'll have to go to my website if you want to see the awesome takedown, I'll have the video up there in a day or so. It takes three times as long (or more) when you use three cameras.

~ the Aerialist .

edit: those ramps are rated at 1500 # each, note how I moved them up to the tailgate, then up to the top board (engineered composite wood), to fill the truck. The grade alone on the front yard prohibited using a stump grinder or bobcat.

Last edited:
One job is never enough to consider the true calibre of any climber. Just sayin... 25/hour for 8 hours at six days a week does add up quick!

I agree, he knows his s##t but I can't swing that. Gonna let him finish out the week tomorrow then make him a counter offer. Even if he accepts I gotta run a backgound check on this guy, he just seams a little shady..

AA- glad to see you're still alive. Just a reminder, its considered unprofessional if you drop pole saws on your groundsman or grind his leg. Don't have time to watch the video until tonight but I can't wait.

I agree, he knows his s##t but I can't swing that. Gonna let him finish out the week tomorrow then make him a counter offer. Even if he accepts I gotta run a backgound check on this guy, he just seams a little shady..

Speaking of that, what was that site that you can pay and do background checks on? Scott, I think you posted that info but I can't find it?

Instant Checkmate - The internet's #1 source for Background Checks

They charge like 60 for 6 months, they will auto renew, sumtin to think about. I had to cancel to get them to stop charging me. It works tho, told me all I needed to know about the peeps I was shekin.

Thats how I found out a guy who was trying to come around was a convicted BANK ROBBER! Then I ran all the others, holychit. There is some bad people in this business.

The Elm, The grade alone on the front yard prohibited using a stump grinder or bobcat.

Doug, did ya get that ANSI book? Still not making everyone wear the stuff, even you. A bit of advice, you may not care, but you guys look ragtag, if you took some of that money you make and bought some shirts for those guys and made them leave the sleeves on, you guys wouldn't look so hackish. Do you really leave the ladder on the tree while you work it, if so, how many ladders have you gone thru? I asked you to post these in the vid forum. I will leave this for now, so everyone can see it, last time everyone got mad that I deleted it before they could see it. Other things in there that you need to know about, but I know these guys will let you know. After this, post them there.

Back