whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never was able to find a good log buyer around here. You guys have a good guy that its worth it to haul logs to?
I am fortunate enough to have a mill that will buy walnut logs minimum 1$ per board foot up to four bucks. I have a guy ten miles from me that will pay .25 bd ft for ash or pine. And a mill that will pay the same for cottonwood. I have a few groves lined up loaded with cottonwoods to log out. It's not too bad of a pass time for winter money. The places I have lined up are going to get cleared out to be farmed in the future so it's advantageous for me to harvest trees and pile brush for the landowner.

Vermeer gave me a loaner to use while the 650 is in the shop for warranty issues. They told me to beat the **** out of it and tell them what I think.
bc959d0f0246b5eba8a9fe1e4fd8b76e.jpg
5478cfc30409096c67d0b8fd5d6ef9a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm impressed with that little thing lifting that log!

I got to spend all day deep in the timber. Me and one other guy. I love days like that. More of the same tomorrow.

Only pic for today. Plans changed. Finished the ROW job and was taken to a medium sugar maple, large beech, large dead ash, and two smallish elm removal. Still had my extra guys from flagging the morning job so did very little roping. Worst part was cutting up all the firewood. Love my 440 with a 20" bar for that. image.jpg

I'm impressed with that little thing lifting that log!

I got to spend all day deep in the timber. Me and one other guy. I love days like that. More of the same tomorrow.
That one log is a16' 18" oak log about 1300lbs. It has a 40hp Kubota gas engine. I tried talk them into swapping my 650 for it since its been in the shop twice for a drive pump leaking. The 650 only has 23hrs on it. If it happens again I'm demanding it.

If you want my opinion save your money and buy the 800, blows the other out of the water. Unless you do a lot of tight squeezes where you need the 36" clearance for gates its a no brainier. I think the sales rep was exaggerating the price he told me mid 30's for an 800

Did a few removals, worked on a truck...kind of a frustrating afternoon and then.....Boom!! Just booked my hotel in downtown Chicago for the Grateful Dead 50 year reunion this summer!

If you want my opinion save your money and buy the 800, blows the other out of the water. Unless you do a lot of tight squeezes where you need the 36" clearance for gates its a no brainier. I think the sales rep was exaggerating the price he told me mid 30's for an 800

I was hoping they gave you the new 725 to play with. Other than the length (because of how I carry mine), I think it would be the best for tree work.

Capture.JPG

Climbed and pruned two big elms and a silver poplar. Serious included bark in one so Im gonna install a support cable. Still have to go back in the morning and remove a huge leader on the poplar that is going over the house. I havent climbed any big trees lately and three in one day kicked my arse. Oh well this getting old crap sucks. I did actually get a throw ball stuck and broke that sucker today. I didnt break the line, the fabric broke and the ring tore out. That is a first for me. Maybe if I post it on here Sherrill will send me a new one for free.throw ball.jpg

Climbed and pruned two big elms and a silver poplar. Serious included bark in one so Im gonna install a support cable. Still have to go back in the morning and remove a huge leader on the poplar that is going over the house. I havent climbed any big trees lately and three in one day kicked my arse. Oh well this getting old crap sucks. I did actually get a throw ball stuck and broke that sucker today. I didnt break the line, the fabric broke and the ring tore out. That is a first for me. Maybe if I post it on here Sherrill will send me a new one for free.View attachment 395231
I do that quite often...probably cause I don't take the ball off, unless the string breaks.

I just tie the string to the loop on the other side...still shoots well.

I have gotten hundreds of throw balls stuck, but I usually break the line. I have some sturdy 2mm dyneema that is like 1500lbs tensile strength, so far Im not a big fan. Time to order more ZingIt

Did a plumbing repair at my brothers yesterday. Old house with steel water lines. Every time you touch one something else leaks. Ended up getting mad and bought a bunch of new pipe and fittings for him and replaced a good bit of it. He now owes me a day of splitting wood. Going to get a few things done at the house and then pull the head off my bucket truck this afternoon. Tried all the other options to find the problem with it, really not looking forward to this part. Getting this far into it might lead to an in-frame rebuild. At least it's during winter when I got a bit more time on my hands.

Did a plumbing repair at my brothers yesterday. Old house with steel water lines. Every time you touch one something else leaks. Ended up getting mad and bought a bunch of new pipe and fittings for him and replaced a good bit of it. He now owes me a day of splitting wood. Going to get a few things done at the house and then pull the head off my bucket truck this afternoon. Tried all the other options to find the problem with it, really not looking forward to this part. Getting this far into it might lead to an in-frame rebuild. At least it's during winter when I got a bit more time on my hands.
What engine is in your bucket, and what boom do you have ??

Back