whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
had my first stump fiasco today, co dominate silver maple, dropped in 2 sections (had to climb and cut off back weight) left stump at about 12ft to pull, had maasdam maxed out and wedges, and the stump barely decided to go (back leaner 4ft at the base) tree had a nice amount of rot in the base and top, 20ft was wobbly, past 50ft was un climbable (wind had already broken top out, and limbs were exploding before hitting the trunk on the way down)

Hello TreeMDS,

I'm getting my first tracked lift scheduled to be delivered in April "easylift 87-48aj". I was wondering if you could suggest a particular trailor that has worked out for you and your lift. Pictures would be a added bonus. Love all your posts
-Will Steinert
Official equipment hoarder pic. Lol just got two more 372’s back from the saw shop. Hahaha. I’m pretty much out of my mind but tomorrow is going to be fun! And that’s really all that matters… that and winning, or course. Lol
View attachment 948093

Close as I ever got (in recent memory anyway) to strangling a customer was the day I flipped my Giant on its side and this old (and rich) British sounding hen was out taking pictures of it for Facebook and giggling... while we waited for the tow truck to right it. Just picture not knowing how damaged your 93k brand new investment is with that going on! I didn't know if there was a rock through the side under there or what. There was more too, but yeah, that move, coupled with the fact that they were already on my top five most annoying customers of all time list, and she almost got it that day!! Lol. Probably a good thing I don't have a revolver.
The one and only time I put my giant 254t on its side was definitely a frantic day. The homeowner was about 20' away and witnessed the whole thing. He's this old NYC corporate lawyer probably 75 years old. I felt embarrassed at first. After asking if I was ok, he proceed to insist that we use his tractor to right it. We ended up not needing it and righting it with a rigging line and truck to pull it over. The amazing thing about the client was his deminor didnt change the slightest. Imagining the things hes done in his life as a corporate lawer. I wish all clients could be like him.

Cut 20 or so Ash in the rain today. Bucked the logs and let lay. Keep em off the trail and out of the creek.

Attachments

• 20220204_103512.jpg
    20220204_103512.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 20
  • 20220204_103234.jpg
    20220204_103234.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 20
  • 20220204_102641.jpg
    20220204_102641.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 20
Hello TreeMDS,

I'm getting my first tracked lift scheduled to be delivered in April "easylift 87-48aj". I was wondering if you could suggest a particular trailor that has worked out for you and your lift. Pictures would be a added bonus. Love all your posts
-Will Steinert

I wish I had the perfect answer. My first lift came with its own flimsy (21’? would have to measure to be sure) full tilt deck trailer. Too narrow and light to tow anything other than the lift with, but I guess you can tow my lift with something like a 3/4 ton pickup and skirt under the cdl a thing if you needed to. Supposedly. I still use that. Generally it’s okay for what it does. That’s an Appalachian.

I’m currently waiting for a 24’ heavier duty full tilt (powered) from the same people (this is still an equipment trailer, not a deck over). From my experience with my 20’ cam with the stationary front (4’ or so) and what I hear, the split deck just puts too steep an angle on the machine. I have done it on my cam but it’s a little sketchy (depending on the incline of the road too). That’s why they recommend the full tilt longer trailers, not as steep an angle.

So I rolled the dice and am waiting on the new trailer. Fingers crossed it works out nice. Idea is to be able to drop off a lift, then come back, get a different machine, etc.

Anyway, hope my ramblings gave you at least some help. Yep, that’s about all I know about lift trailers.

Oh, and congrats on the new machine, no looking back once you get one!!

Doing snow removal around my own yard is enough of a job for me. Had most of it out in the street Friday to scrape the driveway some and get in some last minute wood. I’m sure the neighborhood was pleased, but you gotta do what you gotta do, right?

Then we got all the really expensive stuff that fits back inside and nice and toasty/ready for battle. It’s actually pretty smooth like this, I can just back out the door, put the hitch on if I wanna get the chipper, or grab the bucket and deal with snow. About as good as I can make it work for now. Next year that car goes and my second chipper will be back inside too. But yeah, no more stuff for me lol. :laugh:
41A0FD51-C1E3-463D-8C76-82382A76D03E.jpeg
B8F7883D-F370-4364-A6C4-D2AE13D4E716.jpeg
AF95461D-CE18-4F70-9878-A84E6DE3C93E.jpeg4668FFA9-95FE-4A26-9DAE-03FA2AE2FEA2.jpegF85A33C4-8C22-458C-805F-DAA802934C93.jpeg

Doing snow removal around my own yard is enough of a job for me. Had most of it out in the street Friday to scrape the driveway some and get in some last minute wood. I’m sure the neighborhood was pleased, but you gotta do what you gotta do, right?

Then we got all the really expensive stuff that fits back inside and nice and toasty/ready for battle. It’s actually pretty smooth like this, I can just back out the door, put the hitch on if I wanna get the chipper, or grab the bucket and deal with snow. About as good as I can make it work for now. Next year that car goes and my second chipper will be back inside too. But yeah, no more stuff for me lol. :laugh:
View attachment 962266
View attachment 962265
View attachment 962267View attachment 962268View attachment 962269
except for a mini skid….

except for a mini skid….

Oh Yeah, I forgot about those. I have actually been thinking I may be forced to do either a mini or a mini-giant later this year. Not sure which yet (if I did).

It seems to me a regular mini with a nice grapple would probably be the most logical machine for a second crew. Something a ground guy could just hop on and off. Lifting height really isn’t an issue since we have the log truck, so really just need to forward. On the other hand that mini-giant does look like it’s gotta be sweet on lawns…. not sure how well that would fit into the way we do things, but it’s something to consider. Be interesting to hear any input from you guys?

View attachment 962266
View attachment 962265
View attachment 962267View attachment 962268View attachment 962269
dont loose that chair!

Sk 3000? Too big?
What about the Vermeer? I always found them interesting, even back in the dark ages when I was just a kid. They look nice.
Just don't buy a toro! Lol seriously tho by far the worst option. We ran a sk1050 this year and it has its place but def struggles a bit on big wood, forks help alot vs grapple on biggest stuff. We had a root grapple and it has its place but I feel you can do a lot more with the dangle. Since you are used to the giant id say sk1550 as a minimum but there is a major backorder as far as I know. Don't really have anything to say about the sk3000 but its def not "mini"

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just don't buy a toro! Lol seriously tho by far the worst option. We ran a sk1050 this year and it has its place but def struggles a bit on big wood, forks help alot vs grapple on biggest stuff. We had a root grapple and it has its place but I feel you can do a lot more with the dangle. Since you are used to the giant id say sk1550 as a minimum but there is a major backorder as far as I know. Don't really have anything to say about the sk3000 but its def not "mini"

Lol. That might be what attracts me to the 3000. What is that prime fighting weight Vermeer everybody seems to be running, though? I think Rabidk has something like I’m thinking?

I wish I had the perfect answer. My first lift came with its own flimsy (21’? would have to measure to be sure) full tilt deck trailer. Too narrow and light to tow anything other than the lift with, but I guess you can tow my lift with something like a 3/4 ton pickup and skirt under the cdl a thing if you needed to. Supposedly. I still use that. Generally it’s okay for what it does. That’s an Appalachian.

I’m currently waiting for a 24’ heavier duty full tilt (powered) from the same people (this is still an equipment trailer, not a deck over). From my experience with my 20’ cam with the stationary front (4’ or so) and what I hear, the split deck just puts too steep an angle on the machine. I have done it on my cam but it’s a little sketchy (depending on the incline of the road too). That’s why they recommend the full tilt longer trailers, not as steep an angle.

So I rolled the dice and am waiting on the new trailer. Fingers crossed it works out nice. Idea is to be able to drop off a lift, then come back, get a different machine, etc.

Anyway, hope my ramblings gave you at least some help. Yep, that’s about all I know about lift trailers.

Oh, and congrats on the new machine, no looking back once you get one!!
Alright! Thanks for the advice. You basically answered all questions and them some. Thank you for adding the pictures aswell. It means a lot.

Definitely excited for the lift. Climbing everyday is doable but not sustainable. I'm turning 32 this April and Happy to be in great health with no daily aches and pains yet. I once heard implementing a lift turned tree work from a job into a career. Looking forward to the added productivity/safety for this upcoming season.

I just don’t have a lot of time to be ****ing around. If I need a supporting machine at this point, I need it. As much info asap would be ideal.
I would start by calling around to see if there is anything in stock or what order times are

Alright! Thanks for the advice. You basically answered all questions and them some. Thank you for adding the pictures aswell. It means a lot.

Definitely excited for the lift. Climbing everyday is doable but not sustainable. I'm turning 32 this April and Happy to be in great health with no daily aches and pains yet. I once heard implementing a lift turned tree work from a job into a career. Looking forward to the added productivity/safety for this upcoming season.

You’re pretty much right on with the integrating a lift turning a job into a career. I think of it as a tea sipping affair followed by some blinding kicking of the tree job ass. It takes a while to calm down and realize what you’re now capable of as compared to before. Definitely a different pace. But safer and more profitable/productive ultimately. You won’t regret it.

Latest posts

Back