What 50 cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Grey, sell the saw on CL. You know the guys in the Area all are drinking the Kool-aid. Its a damn shame you didn't make this post yesterday. Today at work I tried and tried to talk a parts dept employee out of buying a ms290, but he left at lunch and brought a new one back with him.

Husky 346XP- light, speedy, powerful. Good air filter. Outboard clutch

Dolmar 5100/5- nice toque and speed. Spring off switch. Doesn't have a great air filter though. Inboard clutch.

Stihl 261- Great torque, but slower. Heavy for what it is. Good air filter. Inboard clutch.

Echo 500p- Lightest 50cc you can probably get. Decent air filter. Lacks power though, but at least looks sexy. Inboard clutch.

Those are the main ones. The 346 is a crowd favorite, but thats not written in stone. Some people don't really inboard clutches on smaller saws, but it never bothered me. If you want a good saw, I wouldn't go with the consumer models, Poulan or any of those things.

Last edited:
yea!...but once you run a stihl you'll decide you DON'T want it!!

amen brother!

LMAO! Buncha newbs. I have a Stihl that may make you change your mind.

Brand bias just doesnt make any sense to me. No one can tell me that Stihl makes crappy saws, nor does Husqvarna. You stick with one brand and you'll miss out on alot of great saws.

The truth is, the 261 is just as good of a saw as any 50cc saw being made. There's no way you could go wrong with one. The 550xp and 346xp are great saws too.

Husky 346XP- light, speedy, powerful. Good air filter. Outboard clutch

Dolmar 5100/5- nice toque and speed. Spring off switch. Doesn't have a great air filter though. Inboard clutch.

Stihl 261- Great torque, but slower. Heavy for what it is. Good air filter. Inboard clutch.

Echo 500p- Lightest 50cc you can probably get. Decent air filter. Lacks power though, but at least looks sexy. Inboard clutch.

Those are the main ones. The 346 is a crowd favorite, but thats not written in stone. Some people don't really inboard clutches on smaller saws, but it never bothered me. If you want a good saw, I wouldn't go with the consumer models, Poulan or any of those things.

Calling a 261 slower than a 346 or 5100 is an understatement. The stock 261s I've ran were stronger than stock 346xps. I agree, they are heavier though.

The comment abt the 250 "becoming a collector's item" is a sly ref to the "ms250 is being dicontinued" thread, and was meant light-hearted. I am NOT picking on anybody's 025 or 250, just a little fun and games.

Poulan pro 5020 is economical
Echo 500 is light
Dolmar 510/5100/5105 is a HD 50cc
cs2152
cs2153
Husky 350 or 353 or 550superwhompusXbyGumPeeAttoTEWn
stihl 250 may become a collectors item
efco?
Rmax
stihl 260
hus 242xp
partner 5000 type/jonny 490
and MANY more!

So you haven't ran one of these then

001-2.jpg

yea!...but once you run a stihl you'll decide you DON'T want it!!

005a.jpg

Don't just love those orange handles :msp_ohmy:

Imho hands down the MS261, it sounds like a broken record but tried the 346xpne for about 8 months, good saw, but now have two MS-261's, much better filteration, inboard clutch, real chain adjuster, robust build like a tank, a much better fit for the family's firewood operation. Imho the 346 is one of the most overated saws on AS. It is a good saw, nothing wrong other than it doesn't have any bottom end in stock configuration and imho doesn't have near the build quality. Cheaper plastic, rinky dink chain adjuster, outboard clutch, mine looked ten years old in 8 months, my 261's still look like new, none of the crappy silver paint on the clutch cover. It really boils down to personal preference, either one will get the job done, I can't feel any of the mythical handling advantage of the 346, although it does do a great job of falling over on it's side everytime you sit in down in the woods, it should come with a kickstand. I know the boys will still be using the 261's 20 years from now, I don't know if the Husky would make it that long. Best thing of all the 261 is made in the USA with American labor as well as the bar it wears, I'll support the American worker everytime it is close between brands.

Buy what ya like!

I have 12 years of semi commercial use on a 346 and it's still goin strong. Doesn't look 12 years old either. :msp_tongue:

Liked it so much I bought another a while back. Thinking I might get another before they're all gone.

Hi I am in the process of getting a 50 cc saw, I am very happy with my 372 and was looking at a 346 or 550, but in order to get a new saw I need to get rid of my ms311 which I am not crazy about, and the only dealer who will do a trade is the Stihl dealer, so therefore I am looking at a 261, which looks like a good saw and seems comparable to the Huskys, not to mention I like having one of each, but do not want to regret not getting a Husky; Any way a little input on these saws is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Sell the Stihl on EBAY. You'll get crazy money for it compared to trading it in. Ask a high price on craigslist and see if anyone bites. People pay near new prices for mediocre Stihls around here.

Imho hands down the MS261, it sounds like a broken record but tried the 346xpne for about 8 months, good saw, but now have two MS-261's, much better filteration, inboard clutch, real chain adjuster, robust build like a tank, a much better fit for the family's firewood operation. Imho the 346 is one of the most overated saws on AS. It is a good saw, nothing wrong other than it doesn't have any bottom end in stock configuration and imho doesn't have near the build quality. Cheaper plastic, rinky dink chain adjuster, outboard clutch, mine looked ten years old in 8 months, my 261's still look like new, none of the crappy silver paint on the clutch cover. It really boils down to personal preference, either one will get the job done, I can't feel any of the mythical handling advantage of the 346, although it does do a great job of falling over on it's side everytime you sit in down in the woods, it should come with a kickstand. I know the boys will still be using the 261's 20 years from now, I don't know if the Husky would make it that long. Best thing of all the 261 is made in the USA with American labor as well as the bar it wears, I'll support the American worker everytime it is close between brands.

Nice post :msp_thumbup:

I went through this exercise myself, and liked the 261 best. It's been a great saw. Got even stronger once it broke in.

...much better filteration...
I have seen more 346's than just about anyone else. I don't see the evidence that there is a problem with failure due to filtration. The filter might look less impressive, but if the trash doesn't make it to the filter box it can get by with a less expensive filter.
..inboard clutch...
Only a problem if you don't know how to install a chain on a inboard clutch or if you get pinched.
..real chain adjuster...
I have seen exactly one chain adjuster failure on 346's.
..robust build like a tank...
Read: heavier than what a 50cc saw should be (tribute to ST).
mine looked ten years old in 8 months, my 261's still look like new, none of the crappy silver paint on the clutch cover..
No argument on that one, but then again it is a saw, not a RR.
It really boils down to personal preference, either one will get the job done, I can't feel any of the mythical handling advantage of the 346, although it does do a great job of falling over on it's side everytime you sit in down in the woods, it should come with a kickstand...
Agreed, but the extra weight is not up for debate.
Best thing of all the 261 is made in the USA with American labor as well as the bar it wears, I'll support the American worker everytime it is close between brands.
That seems to be a constant drumbeat of yours and you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but it begs the question of how much this influences your opinion. You fail to ever mention that Stihl products and parts cost a premium over Husqvarna saws. That savings can buy the average person an extra tank of gas or take the wifey out for dinner.

Just some thoughts from someone who owns lots of Stihls (026 and 261 included)...not meant to aggitate or anger.

Well I'm blessed to have several dealers near that stock Husky, Stihl, Dolmar, Echo, and possibly Efco. Having ran the snot out of my old 346xp in Hedge, Locust and other KS hardwoods, and now having some trigger time (27ish) tanks through a 261, I'm torn. I liked the 5105 I ran at the GTG but it reminds me of my 261 with a different look. I loved my 346 and miss it dearly. After about 1-1/5 years there was almost no paint left of the stock Husky bar... When I had it, I also had a 55 Husky and Stihl 039 and MS660. I miss them all dearly for different reasons, but they all burned up in a truck fire.:bang: Of all of the previous 4 saws, the one that always was used regardless of the tree size was the 346. There were several trees that were done ONLY with the 346. With a sharp loop of round chisel, it was a thing of joy and the priming bulb was nice. It was dropped twice from about 6' and 12' respectively and didn't break either time.

The Stihl was purchased to have at least 1 running pro saw after the aforementioned saws burned up. I was a bit disappointed initially, but now that it's broken in, I like it well. I will be sending it to Stumpy soon to get a bit more out of it and to let it run A LOT cooler (EPA tuning) and then I will beat the snot out of it.

The 346 was my chainsaw equivalent to a surgeon's scalpel. There was a balance and degree of control that bordered on telepathic. The 261 is a solid saw with a much better mid range and is about as smooth. Both saws have great filtration. Servicing the air filter is a bit easier on the 346, but neither needs it horribly frequently so that's a wash.

The Dolmar is likely a great saw as well. I have never tried the J-red bar ergos so I can't speculate on that... The 550 intrigues me, but I would take another 346 OR 261 any day just to have a second pro 50cc saw. They're BOTH THAT GOOD! Good luck and Safe Sawing!

The 346 makes a lot of high end power, which is great for cants and small wood races, but is outperformed by the low end power and broad torque band of the 261. Easy decision for me; get the 261.

1. Only a problem if you don't know how to install a chain on a inboard clutch or if you get pinched.
2. I have seen exactly one chain adjuster failure on 346's.
3. Read: heavier than what a 50cc saw should be (tribute to ST).
4. No argument on that one, but then again it is a saw, not a RR.
5. Agreed, but the extra weight is not up for debate.
6. That seems to be a constant drumbeat of yours and you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but it begs the question of how much this influences your opinion. You fail to ever mention that Stihl products and parts cost a premium over Husqvarna saws. That savings can buy the average person an extra tank of gas or take the wifey out for dinner.

Just some thoughts from someone who owns lots of Stihls (026 and 261 included)...not meant to aggitate or anger.

Just my 2 cents, and not meant to to antagonize you Neil but you bring up points that many of us do in explanation of any saw choice that is not Husqvarna.

1. Inboard or outboard. Who cares, they both work. Inboard is easier to clean your saw afterwards though. Only Husky guys go on and on otherwise.
2. Non issue in my books.
3. Who gets to determine "what a 50cc saw should be". Does it start and work when I need it? If yes, then it's exactly what a 50cc (or any other size) should be.
4. Exactly! It is a saw. Kinda makes squabbling over "balance" and a few ounces almost, dare I say, unmanly.
5. See point #4.
6. Ah, so if someone buys a Dolmar it's because they don't want to cough up the extra money, but when they save money buying the Husqvarna over the Stihl it's different? Bull. In Canada Husky XP costs typically 20% higher than Stihl, about 30% more than Dolmar. Since when is it a crime to buy whatever it is that suits your needs and apply the savings to other necessities, be it gas, mortgage, bills or taking the wife out for dinner. Thats just being wise. Yet it seems lately that just about every other thread Husky owners disparage everyone else on their choices and preferences. Why is that? Just too damn silly, is all.

Just my 2 cents, and not meant to to antagonize you Neil but you bring up points that many of us do in explanation of any saw choice that is not Husqvarna.

1. Inboard or outboard. Who cares, they both work. Inboard is easier to clean your saw afterwards though. Only Husky guys go on and on otherwise.
2. Non issue in my books.
3. Who gets to determine "what a 50cc saw should be". Does it start and work when I need it? If yes, then it's exactly what a 50cc (or any other size) should be.
4. Exactly! It is a saw. Kinda makes squabbling over "balance" and a few ounces almost, dare I say, unmanly.
5. See point #4.
6. Ah, so if someone buys a Dolmar it's because they don't want to cough up the extra money, but when they save money buying the Husqvarna over the Stihl it's different? Bull. In Canada Husky XP costs typically 20% higher than Stihl, about 30% more than Dolmar. Since when is it a crime to buy whatever it is that suits your needs and apply the savings to other necessities, be it gas, mortgage, bills or taking the wife out for dinner. Thats just being wise. Yet it seems lately that just about every other thread Husky owners disparage everyone else on their choices and preferences. Why is that? Just too damn silly, is all.

You forgot (in reply to nmurph)

0) I agree on the air filtration, but when the 026/260 was out everyone said how anemic it was compared to huskies. Now that the 346 air filter is adequate, but not quite as good they say it is good enough. I've built a ton of 026/260's...probably just as much if not more than the 346's you have built and I haven't seen signs of wear due to dirty air filters on them either, but everyone said they had an anemic air filtration system.

1) I personally haven't ever seen a valid argument on why you would build an outboard clutch on a 50cc saw vs an inboard. ST's sideway, gyro balancing thing doesn't seem to do it for me personally.

2) May be a non issue really, but I think he was commenting on his personal feel that the chain adjuster on the 261 was more robust. How many modern stihl chain adjusters have you seen fail? I have seen a couple of bent ones from time to time, but that is few and far between. If anyone needs any new stihl chain adjusters let me know because I have about 50+ new ones sitting in a drawer.

3) If your going to take ST's opinion as fact you've missed the boat.

4) I agree

5) That may be a constant drumbeat of his, but to be honest he has worked both a 346 and a 261 in a more commercial environment than 95% of the people recommending either saw. ST has had the same drumbeat since I've been on here (2004 or 2005) and I don't see a lot of people critiquing his posts. Anyone can feel free to take his points of view as gospel, but I'd rather learn from the people that have actually put significant time on their saws.

6) I have worked on a lot of huskies and I haven't really noticed much if any cost savings buying husky parts from my dealer (who is a both a husky and stihl dealer) vs buying stihl parts.

I personally don't have much use for a 50cc saw, but I get a kick out of the arguments that go back and forth amongst the brands.

Last edited:
There is no contest, the 50cc class is owned by the 550xp. The 261 can compete after a $250 port job. End of story. If you get a 550xp and mm it nothing can touch it and the power to weight ratio is the best EVER.

Latest posts

Back