What-a-stihls first tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just my opinion

If we as tree workers/arborists are to be taken seriously and our trade is to be respected, then I believe that anyone who works without a hard-hat is painting a negative picture of the industry.

Take some pride and look the professional! I've never seen a line-construction crew or an electric utility crew performing their duties without a hardhat.

Without the hardhat, you look like another boob straight off a lawnmower, just my opinion.

If we as tree workers/arborists are to be taken seriously and our trade is to be respected, then I believe that anyone who works without a hard-hat is painting a negative picture of the industry.

Take some pride and look the professional! I've never seen a line-construction crew or an electric utility crew performing their duties without a hardhat.

Without the hardhat, you look like another boob straight off a lawnmower, just my opinion.

Again, I agree in theory but truth is; I worked as a line clearance pro for twenty years and have seen them too, not wearing hard hats at times. I am in no way advocating non -compliance just the fact that if you see someone here without their hard hat in a pic, it does not necessarily mean they are incompetent boobs,hacks etc. I do understand uniformity and professionalism and its positive role in our industry though.

If you tear the side off a tree that was planted when the kid graduated from college or the maple that was planted when grandma died you gonna see how much those trees are worth. You seem a little mentally challenged. I have the feeling you look exactly like the picture in your avatar.

Well than don't chance damaging it period ,and when you lay down a tree next to grandmas dogwood well than ? What the hell are you talking about anyway who cares ... You jumped in my face saying that I don't know what the hell I'm talking about and thats the issue here , I can find my way around the job just fine , as a matter of fact I have supported my family with this work and now provide a safe well run jobsite that supports the families of three full time employees , so what ever .. I doubt that you could show me anything that I haven't seen before .. And I am gonna end this argument with that ...

attachment.php

I don't have any interest in teaching you anything Jersey

But if you learn anything today.....it should be the value of perfection in this business (or anything) no matter how big the tree felled is or whatever the job is

and also that it is not YOU that decides how much a clients trees are worth no matter how they have pruned them.

I'll get your ass straightened out if you stay around here long enough.

I don't have any interest in teaching you anything Jersey

But if you learn anything today.....it should be the value of perfection in this business (or anything) no matter how big the tree felled is or whatever the job is

and also that it is not YOU that decides how much a clients trees are worth no matter how they have pruned them.

I'll get your ass straightened out if you stay around here long enough.

Thats something that we can agree with , no interest .. And again were only big dogs in our back yard , outside of that were just another leg humper and maybe, I will do a little ass straightened of my own , or are you too old to be taught .....

I chose to lay a tree down in a tight area, because I CAN. no big deal, just doing my job as a skilled climber/feller. that was not a flop, it was a slow cut, slow pulled "tip-over" (good term) that simplified the job. High voltage directly behind, fences under, and I was able to do the job safely without damaging anything or anyone, for the price the HO was going to pay. climb and lower for $300? hellno. but someone else (a real hack) would have, and possibly tore something up.

For all the guys who want to keep berating me for PPE, look at all the hundreds of pics on here of me or my crews wearing it. I have been plucking at your nerves proving a point. this safety police mentality on here is annoying as heck, especially when that becomes the theme of yet another hijacked thread.

this was about Josh's first climb, in a safe tree, without any time pressure, and I walked around that tree the whole job watching and commenting on his every move, while wearing my $100 Kevlar helmet. I felt he was skilled enough with the saw, fit enough and able to work at height. He proved me right.

why on earth any one would have to use more than a 3/4" steel flipline going UP this tree is beyond me. he made 1 block cut, and this cut was safely made without the 2nd tie-in, and he clearly understands his need to have that 2nd connection at almost all times, as well as the hardhat.
Using this scenario pictured in this thread to describe our entire safety mentality is ludicrous, and proved my point. anybody can type.

Last edited:
I chose to lay a tree down in a tight area, because I CAN. no big deal, just doing my job as a skilled climber/feller. that was not a flop, it was a slow cut, slow pulled "tip-over" (good term) that simplified the job. High voltage directly behind, fences under, and I was able to do the job safely without damaging anything or anyone, for the price the HO was going to pay. climb and lower for $300? hellno. but someone else (a real hack) would have, and possibly tore something up.

For all the guys who want to keep berating me for PPE, look at all the hundreds of pics on here of me or my crews wearing it. I have been plucking at your nerves proving a point. this safety police mentality on here is annoying as heck, especially when that becomes the theme of yet another hijacked thread.

this was about Josh's first climb, in a safe tree, without any time pressure, and I walked around that tree the whole job watching and commenting on his every move. I felt he was skilled enough with the saw, fit enough and able to work at height. He proved me right.

why on earth any one would have to use more than a 3/4" steel flipline going UP this tree is beyond me. he made 1 block cut, and this cut was safely made without the 2nd tie-in, and he clearly understands his need to have that 2nd connection at almost all times, as well as the hardhat.
Using this scenario pictured in this thread to describe our entire safety mentality is ludicrous, and proved my point. anybody can type.

3/4 inch wow did you have that made? That would be hard to cut through there!

The large one sherrills sells. 3/4" is the overall dimension, (gibbs ascender size) actual cable size is less, but to cut that? would have to be one hell of a cut applied.:monkey:

I certainly know the potential for hitting a rope or lanyard while sawing, but saw control is the one of the most important aspects of climbing to consider. cutting thru a big lanyard on a solid tree removing pine limbs? If I have to worry about that, the guy ain't going up for me, I'll do it.

the ROPE knows, every tree, and climb is different.

I could be wrong... but I would imagine anyone with even just a bit of common sense (and a sense of self preservation), would feel themselves cuttin through a 3/4" steel core lanyard.

I agree, all this PPE talk gets to be a bit of a snoozer after a while. :deadhorse:

I could be wrong... but I would imagine anyone with even just a bit of common sense (and a sense of self preservation), would feel themselves cuttin through a 3/4" steel core lanyard.

I agree, all this PPE talk gets to be a bit of a snoozer after a while. :deadhorse:

So why climb at all? If I'm unfortunate enough to whack that steel line, then how would a rope save me? there never that far apart.:dizzy:

Guess I have to buy a bucket truck, and tie into that. and switch to hydraulics, to move the cutter away from my body................it goes on and on. :D

treeclimbing will always be dangerous work.But when we reach a highly skill level, some risks become managed. I will point out, a Risk forgotten is bound to be discovered. complacency kills. :cheers:

Last edited:
So why climb at all? If I'm unfortunate enough to whack that steel line, than how would a rope save me? there never that far apart.:dizzy:

Guess I have to buy a bucket truck, and tie into that. and switch to hydraulics, to move the cutter away from my body................it goes on and on. :D

treeclimbing will always be dangerous work.But when we reach a highly skill level, some risks become managed. I will point out, a Risk forgotten is bound to be discovered. complacency kills. :cheers:

Thats easy bro I would catch ya azz on the way down:hmm3grin2orange:

So why climb at all? If I'm unfortunate enough to whack that steel line, than how would a rope save me? there never that far apart.:dizzy:

I was attempting to support your argument... googly-eyes! :dizzy:

But really, if I'm cutting on a trunk (spar, whatever), and I have my climb line below my lanyard, say 12"-18", and happened to cut the lanyard, I would like to think that I possess enough skill with a saw to not just keep hacking every rope in sight. :)

this was about Josh's first climb, in a safe tree, without any time pressure, and I walked around that tree the whole job watching and commenting on his every move, while wearing my $100 Kevlar helmet. I felt he was skilled enough with the saw, fit enough and able to work at height. He proved me right.

:clap::clap::cheers::clap::clap:

:yourock::yourock:

Thats something that we can agree with , no interest .. And again were only big dogs in our back yard , outside of that were just another leg humper and maybe, I will do a little ass straightened of my own , or are you too old to be taught .....

Whatdoya got to teach? Tree biology, physiology, anatomy, mycology, entomology, identification, diagnosis, treatments.....??

I am all ears

PS don't group me with you....please:help:

Whatdoya got to teach? Tree biology, physiology, anatomy, mycology, entomology, identification, diagnosis, treatments.....??

I am all ears

PS don't group me with you....please:help:

Lol phototropism is a deciding factor to be considered in many of my efforts:cheers:
I seem to bring light in alot lmao!

double tie in or not....I am always gonna check my buckstrap where it is hidden from sight in relation to my cut ....with my hand so I am sure it not looped UP and gonna get hit although it would not appear that way.

double tie in or not....I am always gonna check my buckstrap where it is hidden from sight in relation to my cut ....with my hand so I am sure it not looped UP and gonna get hit although it would not appear that way.

Yup I would hate to ruin my lanyard, I usually have double tie in but not always many times near the tips I prefer to leave some slack in my climb line and then go to the top to take smaller pieces out and have a safety in case anything breaks. It would still be a rough ride but I would not go clear to the ground. I would rather do that most times than rig the whole top in dead trees.

:agree2:
and there is the solution to cutting the lanyard, DON'T......

One thing I hammered to Josh, determine the cut. get physically set, clear yourself from cut area (or rope swing if needed) alert the groundmen, THEN stop briefly and look the entire scenario over, again. we have the rest of our lives to get the next cut right. I hope he remembers that most of all.

I developed this habit of automatically "relooking the cut" after years of working with so many other people doing big removals and especially crane operators. now it saves me from myself................................:D

Back