What-a-stihls first tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could be wrong... but I would imagine anyone with even just a bit of common sense (and a sense of self preservation), would feel themselves cuttin through a 3/4" steel core lanyard.

I agree, all this PPE talk gets to be a bit of a snoozer after a while. :deadhorse:

No way you can cut through a high visibility steel core without knowing it. I cut into mine a couple of months back. The orange fibers flew like feathers when the saw made contact. Just nicked the cable. Didn't cut into it, just pulled a couple of strands of the cable out of place. Still bared the cable and made it unusable. Point is, you're not going to cut into it and not know immediately. With a large saw you might be able to cut through it instantaneously but I'll guarantee you will know when you hit it.

I preach two tie in points to anyone who climbs for me with no exceptions. That is what was drilled into my head when I was learning. Do I always practice what I preach? No. When I leaning out on a limb making a cut and my climb line is well out of the way I will make the cut without setting my lanyard or flip cord. When I am working a spar I am double tied in 99% of the time. And mostly so when I am working away from the spar but there are exceptions to every rule.

No way you can cut through a high visibility steel core without knowing it. I cut into mine a couple of months back. The orange fibers flew like feathers when the saw made contact. Just nicked the cable. Didn't cut into it, just pulled a couple of strands of the cable out of place. Still bared the cable and made it unusable.

why unusable? if the cable integrity is still present, I would just tape it up.
your thoughts? :cheers:

A tree company owner that used to occupy my equipment lot prior to me moving out here from New Jersey bout 30 years ago was double tied into the tree he was working on ..............and died. (John Magrino RIP)

Unfortunately one of his tie ins was in the top of the leader he was blowing out. He realized that at the last minute and tried to cut the climbing line and ran the saw into his chest. The word around was they could not tell which was the cause of death.

Helps to have a good gm to eyeball every cut you make if available and experienced enough to discern what is not kosher.

Yeah, someone else suggested that. Not sure how it would work through my rope grab. I have got to do one about 10' off of the high voltage lines this week. Not much chance of anything arching that far but I went ahead and made me a rope lanyard to work this tree to be on the safe side. I just chucked the old steel core. I got to order some new gear anyway, might as well get me a new steel core while I'm at it. The one I use is only $55 bucks.

I taped up an old wire core that I nicked and it wouldnt run through the rope grab worth a crap because of the tape so I gave it away

Whatdoya got to teach? Tree biology, physiology, anatomy, mycology, entomology, identification, diagnosis, treatments.....??

I am all ears

PS don't group me with you....please:help:
What I read is BLAH BLAH from a egotistical whatever who means well I'm sure, I have nothing to teach because I don't care about what you do In Ohio frankly , I don't care what you do anywhere, as a matter of fact I have never addressed you in reguards to anything because frankly your a :censored: and your a little to HIGH BROWED for my taste , and if I ever ask you a question or talk to you remind me why I can't stand your type and respond the way you usually do ... So were agreed that we have nothing to EVER SAY TO ONE ANOTHER and stay out of conversations that I am having with someone else , OK .. PS BORN TO CLIMB SHIRTS ARE GAY.....

What I read is BLAH BLAH from a egotistical whatever who means well I'm sure, I have nothing to teach because I don't care about what you do In Ohio frankly , I don't care what you do anywhere, as a matter of fact I have never addressed you in reguards to anything because frankly your a :censored: and your a little to HIGH BROWED for my taste , and if I ever ask you a question or talk to you remind me why I can't stand your type and respond the way you usually do ... So were agreed that we have nothing to EVER SAY TO ONE ANOTHER and stay out of conversations that I am having with someone else , OK .. PS BORN TO CLIMB SHIRTS ARE GAY.....

I guess you repping me is out of the question then :hmm3grin2orange:

We're NOT "agreed that we have nothing to EVER SAY TO ONE ANOTHER" and I likely WON'T stay out of conversations you are having with someone else".....instead......

I will be keeping an eye on you.....BOY :Eye: LOL

Heres my question how dangerous were the 70's or was the issue that there weren't nonsense lawsuits or less scummy attorney's to sue everyone for the workers own stupidity.. My wifes grandfather was a bridge builder in the 30's my father in law in the 60's and 70's and still now and me in the early 2000's and they tell me that the work is no safer now then before , the decision to work safe is still ultimately the workers personal responsibilty, so whats the difference other the threat of a lawsuit, now we are bombarded by safety to the point that our production is often slowed, so I say teach the man commonsense safety and don't pile a whole bunch of PPE on someone who has no idea why they are wearing it.. And if your wondering whether I work with a hardhat and glasses , Yes and the men who I work with choose when and where they need it and I don't have to say a facking word to them they just know ...[/QUOTE]

Congratulations this is the dumbest post I have read on this site. When the hoover dam was built in the 30's 112 guys died before it was completed. Regulations and even a few attorneys made a major impact in the safety of workers and a massive decrease in work related injurys/fatalties. I could care less if production is slowed because of safety. I get paid by the hour and my livelyhood is more important then a buck. You sound like a scumbag owner with little concern for your workers safety just the bottom line.
Sorry to hi-jack your thread what-a-stihl that was nice first climb. My boss pushes production with safety a distant second. I wish we had a little more safety minded attitude. Slayer seems like he's got you on the right path. I would just drop a few bucks and get a few pieces of ppe when you get a chance good luck.

Last edited:
Heres my question how dangerous were the 70's or was the issue that there weren't nonsense lawsuits or less scummy attorney's to sue everyone for the workers own stupidity.. My wifes grandfather was a bridge builder in the 30's my father in law in the 60's and 70's and still now and me in the early 2000's and they tell me that the work is no safer now then before , the decision to work safe is still ultimately the workers personal responsibilty, so whats the difference other the threat of a lawsuit, now we are bombarded by safety to the point that our production is often slowed, so I say teach the man commonsense safety and don't pile a whole bunch of PPE on someone who has no idea why they are wearing it.. And if your wondering whether I work with a hardhat and glasses , Yes and the men who I work with choose when and where they need it and I don't have to say a facking word to them they just know ...

Congratulations this is the dumbest post I have read on this site. When the hoover dam was built in the 30's 112 guys died before it was completed. Regulations and even a few attorneys made a major impact in the safety of workers and a massive decrease in work related injurys/fatalties. I could care less if production is slowed because of safety. I get paid by the hour and my livelyhood is more important then a buck. You sound like a scumbag owner with little concern for your workers safety just the bottom line.
Sorry to hi-jack your thread what-a-stihl that was nice first climb. My boss pushes production with safety a distant second. I wish we had a little more safety minded attitude. Slayer seems like he's got you on the right path. I would just drop a few bucks and get a few pieces of ppe when you get a chance good luck.[/QUOTE]

Again your lack of comprehension and lack of anything to truly contribute has shown through , no one has said that you should work unsafely so put your glasses on and read it again , and I hardly think that that was the dumbest post and if it was yours may be a near second , but again whatever , so good luck to you as well , and if were gonna debate ppe than lets start a thread and not wizz all over his thread , Mr holden my wood ....Is your boss a scumbag as well or are you a hypocite who probably comes here too bash me cause were not face too face , what a joke ....Have him read my post than lets talk again

Last edited:
Hey Mr woody holder is that you in your avatar , cause if it is than your in violation , two tie in points at all times A LANYARD IS ONLY ONE , let me guess thats your bosses fault too or better yet mine , but if your dumb:censored: cut your lanyard I'm sure your lawyer would have someone to blame other than you..

Hey Mr woody holder is that you in your avatar , cause if it is than your in violation , two tie in points at all times A LANYARD IS ONLY ONE , let me guess thats your bosses fault too or better yet mine , but if your dumb:censored: cut your lanyard I'm sure your lawyer would have someone to blame other than you..

dont you work? you have been a member here for a year and already have over 2100 posts? thats like six post a day every day for the whole twelve months you have been on the site. post whore?? j/k :monkey:

dont you work? you have been a member here for a year and already have over 2100 posts? thats like six post a day every day for the whole twelve months you have been on the site. post whore?? j/k :monkey:

I always make time for this place , but I do work about 10 to 12 hrs a day , and coach my daughter for soft ball drive back and forth to sports 4 days a week , play ball my self and do my honey do list daily , not to mention est. work, call backs, write checks and collect them and still I can find the time to tell you your an idiot ......

I always make time for this place , but I do work about 10 to 12 hrs a day , and coach my daughter for soft ball drive back and forth to sports 4 days a week , play ball my self and do my honey do list daily , not to mention est. work, call backs, write checks and collect them and still I can find the time to tell you your an idiot ......amazing ehhh

Ain't got my what-a-stihl back from the shop yet.
I finished a clearing/takedown job today, 30+ australian pines around a fenced yard on a million $ property. cut and run, get paid to chip it next week. :D

easy pickings, a lot of simple tip overs, here's a sweet one that looks good. zero room for error, fences, gardens and barns.

for those of us that recognize the art of the drop. :cheers:
attachment.php

Very nice! Ever barber chair one on purpose to keep it off of something? I have on small ones... :)

You're really racking up the work buddy. Good on ya!

I finished a clearing/takedown job today, 30+ australian pines around a fenced yard on a million $ property. cut and run, get paid to chip it next week. :D

easy pickings, a lot of simple tip overs, here's a sweet one that looks good. zero room for error, fences, gardens and barns.

attachment.php

I think you mean P. nigra slayer.

attachment.php

Dern Slayer wheres my pie all I seem to get is the bad stuff lol. I ain't really complaining but a little pie with my beef would be nice every now and then:monkey: BTW is that a husky I see there pard?

Dern Slayer wheres my pie all I seem to get is the bad stuff lol. I ain't really complaining but a little pie with my beef would be nice every now and then:monkey: BTW is that a husky I see there pard?

Yep, a 359 running stihl 3/8 RMF chain.:chainsaw:

Vicious little treeslaying weapon, let me tell ya. :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back