What are some saw related things to do around Denver CO or along the way

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I will address this point by point
I do not own a camera that would go on my neck
I do not wear shorts hence my legs have not seen sun since coming out of the womb
I do wear what you may call plaid. I call it a flannel shirt
I do wear black sox when I wear a suit
I do not own nor ever owned a shirt from Hawaii
I do own many hats as for corny I guess yes they are corn companies

lol - sounds as if you might slip in and about looking like a local... :D

Born and raised in Fort Collins, haven't been there in many years so I cant offer any advice on how to kill time but it's beautiful country. I would be content to just enjoy the sights and chat with the locals, as you say.

I can darn near entertain myself anywhere other than in a large group of cars or folks. I hope is is cooler out there about a 110 heat index here at the county fair. The animals are suffering

Bill,

Weather is one of the main reasons we moved here. I got sick and tired of humidity and "heat index".

It may be 92,93,94,95,96, etc. for a month or so here, but the temp does go up and down and gets into the mid 60's at night. There is no heat index here because the humidity is so low, usually less than 30% all the time, unless it is about to rain.

There is a 5-10 degree difference between standing in the sun or being in the shade. It is nice. The closer you are to the Foothills or mountains, the cooler and nicer it gets. Denver downtown gets very hot, but, just 6 miles to the west in the foothills, it is 10 degrees cooler.

If you go to Boulder, you will have to go check out McGuckins Hardware store, they have a little bit of everything and it is a neat store, with lots of top level tools and items, heck, they even have Foredom grinders and accessories in stock!

If you come down to Arvada/Denver, you need to visit Arvada Rent-Alls because they have a cool collection of probably 30 original old chainsaws in their front showroom, mostly saws that were donated by locals for display. Mall two man, old Stihls, Homelites, Zip, etc.

They are great folks there but the business is very busy, if Chuck is there, he is the "collector of the saws". That is where I get all my Stihl parts locally.

Well the heat and humidity is terrible here. This is our fair week here and our animals are really in trouble. I debated today on bring the sheep home. The cattle and hogs are more tolerant with the exception of the cattle that are kept in refrigerated barns to grow hair. They will die here without cool collars and cool cells

Wow, that is terrible Bill.

I don't like it when the fair comes to a County during the hottest and most miserable time of year, everyone suffers, people, animals, and attendance levels.

I lived in east Texas all my life and finally decided that there was no reason to suffer there anymore at the age of 35, and so I moved my family on a whim, knowing that God would provide.

My parents have visited us several times now and they really want to move here for several reason, weather included.

I am going to ask a question that I believe I probably already know the answer to but what type of Agriculture is in the area? My son thinks he wants to spend a season on a custom cutting crew
Tell your son to check out a BLM fuels crew or USFS wildland firefighting job (seasonal). I've done both, highly recommend.

stopping to see some of the many small mountain towns in and about the areas out of Denver on way to Vail, Copper, Arapahoe, etc should be interesting. many have a mining history. Colorado school of mines is world famous. try not to look like a tourist... limit cameras around ur neck to 6, don't wear plaid shorts and black sox with upper holders... and for sure a Hawaiian shirt. or corny hat... best bet is to be as local as u can be... ;)

travel as a local, not a tourist...
View attachment 514458
There are two gold mines in Cripple Creek, CO - one is the Molly Kathleen (1 hour tours, no longer bringing out ore) and the other is the Victor & Cripple Creek blah blah mine - working, above ground auto tours.

on behalf of Californians everywhere, I say rudeness is only unleashed when earned. Good day to you sir, I SAY GOOD DAY.

Easy there Mr. Wonka.....

Sorry if I offended.

I worked in Irvine, California last year and the locals there were nice.

Sorry to put you all in the same boat, as I know it isn't a fair assessment.

on behalf of Californians everywhere, I say rudeness is only unleashed when earned. Good day to you sir, I SAY GOOD DAY.

GZZZzzz and this is your 13th AS post? oic... # 13. got it....

what if he had said that about folks that moved there from Florida? would you have said the same? felt the same...?

ease up ol newbie... he wasn't rude to nobody! nope! not at all. imo, only rudeness is ur reply. personally, if i was you... of course, i am not... but... i would delete it!

just sayn'...

PS: welcome aboard! sail ez there, but keep a full spinnaker... we be in summer months, happy sunny summer months... winter :cold: is still a few months off yet...

I am going to ask a question that I believe I probably already know the answer to but what type of Agriculture is in the area? My son thinks he wants to spend a season on a custom cutting crew
Bill G: this may be to late to help you, but there is a lot of wheat custom harvesting crews cutting in northern and northeastern Colorado right now--they may be about done by Aug 1: check out Ft. Morgan, Roggen and Brush which are all just east of Greeley. I harvested on custom crew all thru that area in 2009, and I know the wheat harvest is going on there right now. If your son wants to go, have him get his CDL, and have an experience of a lifetime! I've gone three times , and I still get the itch to go again even at my age!

The mining museum in Golden? The mega brewery tour in Golden.

West of Fort Collins there used to be log cabin factories. That is a figure of speech as they cut logs, build the cabin and then take it down to ship. The fires a few years back may have wiped that operation out.

See how the hippies we saw in the late 1970's are doing out in Loveland?

A fair number of the towns have their history museums which can be quite interesting. Some towns also have mining and geology museums. I get lost in the geology museums while my geology friends love them.

Bill G: this may be to late to help you, but there is a lot of wheat custom harvesting crews cutting in northern and northeastern Colorado right now--they may be about done by Aug 1: check out Ft. Morgan, Roggen and Brush which are all just east of Greeley. I harvested on custom crew all thru that area in 2009, and I know the wheat harvest is going on there right now. If your son wants to go, have him get his CDL, and have an experience of a lifetime! I've gone three times , and I still get the itch to go again even at my age!

I live in northeastern Colorado, custom harvesting guys finished up here about a week ago and moved to areas further north, NE/SD etc. Sounds like the whole state is pretty much wrapped up.

http://coloradowheat.org/colorado-wheat/news-events/harvest-2016/

Morgan, Weld, and Washington counties are looking at 90% completion, as of 7-22-2016

The mining museum in Golden? The mega brewery tour in Golden.

West of Fort Collins there used to be log cabin factories. That is a figure of speech as they cut logs, build the cabin and then take it down to ship. The fires a few years back may have wiped that operation out.

See how the hippies we saw in the late 1970's are doing out in Loveland?

A fair number of the towns have their history museums which can be quite interesting. Some towns also have mining and geology museums. I get lost in the geology museums while my geology friends love them.

I used to ski Breckenridge back in early 70's... first store coming into town from Denver was the grocery store there on the Left... omg, the town then and them days... gone forever now... lol.... but sure was a fun ol timey mining town back then... one thing hasn't changed... all that swell snow! :)

Latest posts

Back