What are the qualities that you love about your go to brand?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fate led me to where I ended up

Back when I climbed for Asplundh I can remember the envy I had concerning the Big Stihl saws the Canadian crews that followed us always used. We were using light blue Homelight XLs.
I bought a Jonsered 70E when I was stationed at Ft Devens, MA. The dealer there explainde the features the saw had that made it a good choice to cut firewood. Three days later I got orders to flight school so I gave the saw to my brother in law.
Fast forward 35 years and I decided to start cutting my own firewood. I bought a 455 Rancher from Buddy's small engines in Huntsville, AL. The reason I chose Husqvarna is that it was closer to where I was at 1230 Sat afternoon. Both the Stihl and Husky dealerships close at 1:00 on Sat. I didnt think I could makeit to the Stihl dealer in time. I found this site while surfing for climbing gear information. It didnt take long and I decided to get a pro saw. Went back to Buddy's and he told me about the 365xt. I sent it off to Mastermind, and the rest just fell in place. I do not have a brand loyalty as much as I have a porter loyalty. I will buy my saws from eith Randy or Terry. So some day I can see myself getting a Stihl. But it will be ported by either Randy or Terry. I like the way they do business.

Whew, that was long winded. I left out some just to spare y'all.

:cool2:

Jonsered. The main reason is an awesome dealer. Stihl dealers around here leave a lot to be desired. Also, stihl's are expensive.

I like poulans old and new. Love to scare up some big ones, but guys know what they are now and they go for premium loot....Largest I have is just 74ccs, which was my first big pro saw and it still pulls good and is *light*, plus being a horizontal engine it has wonderful balance and feel in the hands.

I also like them because they are the easiest to work on. The downside is, for a lot of the older ones, spare parts can be an issue....

Besides that though, I have enjoyed running every saw I managed to fix and get running. All of them get taken to the woodlot and cut some loads, yep, even a couple minimacs made the trip.

I haven't worked on many other brands, but know Stihl saws pretty well. They always run, have great power, and look nice.

We had a fire call the other night (I'm on the volunteer fire department in town) and the homeowner was burning around the edge of his lawn and decided to burn a good sized tree in the front yard as well. It's fire season around here, dry lawns, and a good breeze. I have no idea what the guy was thinking (my guess is he wasn't). All we had for saws on the truck were demo saws, so I had one of the guys run me home so I could grab my 046 (with 32" bar). Needless to say they were impressed when the chips started flying. Dropped the tree perfectly and bucked it up into a few pieces so we could check for hot spots.

Most any good saw could have done the same thing, but to paraphrase a movie "This is my saw. There are many others like it, but this one is mine."

The 046 with big bar is on the heavy side, but I just can't keep from using it because of the power.....oooooh that power. Sounds beastly with the dual port muffler too. My 036 has been idle for a long time now.

My Dad's old Homelites. I still have 4 or 5 of them. We figured that just one of the Super 1050's, over 20+ years of commercial service, made him over a million dollars. How could you want more than that out of a saw, and they are still cutting, Joe.

My Dad's old Homelites. I still have 4 or 5 of them. We figured that just one of the Super 1050's, over 20+ years of commercial service, made him over a million dollars. How could you want more than that out of a saw, and they are still cutting, Joe.

that is pretty impressive and pic worthy!

I'm absolutely loyal to my 19 year old husky. Burbles on the 2nd pull, starts on the 3rd. Even aftet sitting for months! But my new saw is a stihl 261. It pulls a bigger bar than the husky, has a smaller engine, more hp and does it while using less gas.

Then again... at the back woods camp, under the spare bunk lives an old homelite saw. Was given to my dad years ago by a neighbor that failed to love it. Was inherited by me 10+ years ago. It's totally neglected, but when needed it fires right up and powers its 14" bar with gusto. For a twice given away cheap pos saw, it's really most impressive!

I actually pretty much like all brands. I own lots of different saws and its hard to pick a favorite brand. I know I like some models better. I really like my 064 Stihl and I like my 372 and 385 and 346 Husky's, I like Sarah's 420 dolmar, and her 2153 jonsered, and my 79cc Makita and my 440 stihl and my 694 solo, and.......... Heck I like them all. Its hard to go out in the woods, I have a difficult time choosing which saws to bring.:clap:

My best saw is a Stihl 026, I got it when my father died. (tough way to get a saw)
He used it at least a decade and I've been cutting 2 or 3 cords a year with it ever since. (roughly another decade)
Prolly more actually, I trot it out every time a friend wants to go out for wood.
Previous to that I had (and still have) a Homelite Super EZ Automatic.
That thing is so old school, reminds me of a fire engine, all red and chrome!
Also fairly impressed with our gutsy ol' Jonsereds sp49 that landed in my garage.
It's kinda heavy but has been a welcome addition to the crew for years now.
The sp49 fills in where the 026 doesn't like doing rip cuts.
Oh, but that 026 cuts like a lazer compared to those sweet older saws.

YMMV.

I actually pretty much like all brands. I own lots of different saws and its hard to pick a favorite brand. I know I like some models better. I really like my 064 Stihl and I like my 372 and 385 and 346 Husky's, I like Sarah's 420 dolmar, and her 2153 jonsered, and my 79cc Makita and my 440 stihl and my 694 solo, and.......... Heck I like them all. Its hard to go out in the woods, I have a difficult time choosing which saws to bring.:clap:

Your 064 is a freak...
And it's a creamsickle...

I feel dirty now...
:msp_confused:

A good saw is a good saw, whatever color it is. I admit, I like the spring AV on the Swedish made saws, but there is no doubt Stihl saws are also very well made. Not much around here for Dolmar, but I've seen a few around.

It's an interesting subject. On AS, a few years ago, you would have thought a Stihl 361 could cure cancer. The Stihl 660 also seemed much more highly regarded. Those models are rarely mentioned today by comparison. As popular as the Swedish saws are here on AS, the average person just assumes that Stihl makes the best saws. Merely by reputation alone. Then you have guys that are hard core about some brand simply to be different. That makes no sense either. I have a friend, that I work with, who actually has an AMC tattoo, all because he just doesn't want to be a Ford or Chevy guy. He's late for work more in 2 or 3 weeks than I have been in over 20 years. Mostly because of vehicle problems.

no go-to-brand here

3 saws. 3 different brands. If I buy another, it will be a 4th brand probably.

I just like decent tools.

My Jonsered, Stihl, and Dolmar are all good tools. Huskies are overpriced in Canada, so if a good used 359 doesn't fall in my lap I probably won't ever get one.

Back