What axe do I want?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briar012

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm sure this has been beat to death, but what axe do I need? I used the search engine and couldn't find any info that pertained to me, so sorry if y'all are tired of talking about this.

I need a do it all axe for when I'm cutting firewood. I don't want to spend much more then $100. I'm thinking a single bit but am not completely against a double. The axe will be used to drive wedges, (if it's a single bit, if y'all turn me on to a double then I'll use hammers like I do now) get my saw unstuck, split firewood, (I have a couple other splitting tools that I like so this isn't a big deal) limbing, and I've always wanted to fell a tree with an axe so I'll have to do that once or twice.

So what do y'all think? I would love to have a gransfors or wetterlings but they are just to far out of my price range. I've been looking at concord brand axes and they look we'll built, their made from hard steel and appear to have good hickory handles on them.

Thanks in advance.

Well I'd suggest two different axes, a heavier one for splitting and a lighter one for general use. You'll have no trouble staying under $100 for both.

You can get a good vintage Hults Bruk (blue paint) head for 20 bucks and a new handle for $10. As a general rule the old world manufacturers have better metallurgy than most stuff made in US. I've got three of these and they do work significantly better than any of my other "chopping" axes. I haven't yet tried the mid weight Fiskars axes but perhaps someone can chime in on their performance.

There are lots of good splitting axes/mauls from $25 to $60. What kind of wood you are splitting?

It's 95% oak mostly white oak. And if I don't like the way it splits I have an old maul I fixed up and really like, so splitting is probably my smallest concern.

I have a dozen old axes, all top tier brands in their day, all found at auction for 5 bucks or so. Their is no best axe, they all excel in one way or another. However my favorite for smaller trees has surprisingly been a Fiskars. After resharpening it a couple times it is awesome with one or two swipes to remove small limbs. I don't have the bigger Fiskars. On heavier and harder wood I prefer my double bit, and if I am running a chainsaw I have a 3.5# michigan pattern keen kutter.

I have found for me is that the handle matters as much as the head. I can't use a axe hung on a curved fawn foot handle. The Fiskars is straight from the factory. You can buy light splitting axe handle and thin them with a spoke shave or order straight handles from some supply houses. Length his dependent on height and use.

A great resource is "The axe book" by Cook

If you are looking for a great multi purpose axe I strongly recommend the Husqvarna forest axe. I use it for tapping in wedges, some limbing, and mostly for cleaning up rounds as I split. There is always plenty of nubs or small branches that end up getting missed when I'm bucking and it works awesome to slice that stuff off so it's easier to stack after spitting. I think they are about $60 bucks. Hand forged in Sweden with a very nice hickory handle and light enough to use on a limited basis with one hand. Shaving sharp and holds an edge. It's a pleasure to use.

I'll have to look at the husqvarna. Looked around on the council website and really liked what I seen. What's the difference in the jersey and the Dayton axe, like what does one do better then the other? Or is it just a personal preference?

I have a nice older snow and neally, however if I had to replace it at the moment I would take a good look at fiskers, I have two different fisker mauls and a hatchet, great tools.

I'll have to look at the husqvarna. Looked around on the council website and really liked what I seen. What's the difference in the jersey and the Dayton axe, like what does one do better then the other? Or is it just a personal preference?

I like My Jersey.
A file really helped the edge.
For me, it's a great all around axe.

Hey guys is there anywhere I can go and look/handle axes. Like y'all said the days when the hardware store had 40 different axes is over, but is there anywhere y'all can think of that would atleast have somewhat of a selection. I mainly just want to check handle length and head weight to see what feels comfortable. Are there any box stores that carry council tool products, or is it pretty much just ordering online?

O yeah I looked at the husqvarna axes. They do look nice and I've heard good things about them. I've also heard good things about council products and they are almost half the price of the husqvarna. I'm thinking I'm gonna give the council a go. Still haven't researched the fiskars enough though.

Hey guys is there anywhere I can go and look/handle axes. Like y'all said the days when the hardware store had 40 different axes is over, but is there anywhere y'all can think of that would atleast have somewhat of a selection. I mainly just want to check handle length and head weight to see what feels comfortable. Are there any box stores that carry council tool products, or is it pretty much just ordering online?
Most fleet supply stores have a decent selection. Big boxes have a few also but usually cheaper brands.

I've been looking on eBay, there's quite a few Collins brand axe heads, mostly the Collins legitimus. I know I've read or heard about them before, but no one has mentioned them here. Are they good axes? Most of the heads are up around $40 on eBay,

I've been looking on eBay, there's quite a few Collins brand axe heads, mostly the Collins legitimus. I know I've read or heard about them before, but no one has mentioned them here. Are they good axes? Most of the heads are up around $40 on eBay,
Collins are good. Any of the older axe heads are. Council is probably the best steel in a bargain priced axe.

Thanks mdavlee, that makes my decision I think. If council makes a good axe that I can get for $50 ready to go I think that is probably the best route. This may be against forum rules, but can y'all point me in a good direction to get a council axe. Sorry if I'm not supposed to ask that.

Back