What axe do I want?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Zogger, I know I typed it fast when I had a second and didn't think of it. Thank you

That's cool man, I knew they probably had them so I looked. Most likely some other site sponsors have them as well, but I don't know. The only reason I mentioned google is a generic price check.

[/QUOTE]
Hey guys is there anywhere I can go and look/handle axes. Like y'all said the days when the hardware store had 40 different axes is over, but is there anywhere y'all can think of that would atleast have somewhat of a selection. I mainly just want to check handle length and head weight to see what feels comfortable. Are there any box stores that carry council tool products, or is it pretty much just ordering online?
Vonnie's pawn shop in Stillwell had a couple of lightly used kelly axes in the $20/$30 range last time I was there. Almost bought them even tho have more than can ever use, I still have the kelly perfect I bought new for $8 when I was a kid and used it to fell a 16 inch post oak last week.

Thanks mdavlee, that makes my decision I think. If council makes a good axe that I can get for $50 ready to go I think that is probably the best route. This may be against forum rules, but can y'all point me in a good direction to get a council axe. Sorry if I'm not supposed to ask that.
A few splitting tools come ready to use, but I have never seen an "out of the box" chopping ax that didn't need sharpening. Of course all of mine but grubbing axes can actually shave your chin whiskers.

Groundhog, I meant ready to go as in the handle is set and the axe is cleaned up and ready to go, other then sharpening. Most of the used heads I liked on eBay needed refinished and a haft set, which isn't a big deal I have the tools at work to get them all ready.

Does anyone know the main differences that would affect cost between the Jersey and the Dayton pattern council axes? The jersey pattern is 20-30 bucks more than the same weight and handle length Dayton pattern axe.

Yeah I've been reading about it I think I am gonna go with the 36'' handle. It's not like I'm going hiking with the axe. I just figured the curved handle because most axes come with a curved handle. I'm gonna have to get my hands on some axes before I order mine. I've split a ton of wood, actually a quite a few ton, but I haven't ran an axe very much.

I'd suggest at least 3 axes for what you seem to want - a Fiskars for splitting the easy stuff, a maul (and wedges) for splitting the harder stuff, and a double for felling/limbing. If you're going to be doing most everything by hand, then DON'T skimp on the quality. Put out the money and get the good stuff.

Uncle, I've got 3 different splitting tools so I'm not very worried about another tool to split with. I want a good axe that will be used mainly for limbing, felling, unsticking my saw and driving wedges. I figured a single bit axe would be a little more useful then a double. I do want a fiskars splitting axe I just don't really need another splitting tool.

Briar, I own about 20 different axes and have sold them for many years along with my knives. I like to go to antique stores/auctions and buy a rusty (not pitted or chipped though) axe with a good name behind it. Soak it in vinegar overnight or use electrolysis with a battery charger and then hit with a wire brush and sanding disk on my angle grinder. Once finished I go over to househandles.com and buy the appropriate handle to haft it with. It's a cheap way of trying many different styles of heads without breaking the bank. Most heads I buy are $3-5. Handles range from 5-7 bones a piece, cheaper if you don't mind an imperfection. That being said I do love my Husqvarnas and Fiskars for the more modern touch.

Woodeneye, that is definitely an option. I found an old Luddell 6# maul head at an antique shop close to home. I took it to work and sandblasted it, shaved the cheeks down (a few times actually), and polished and painted it, then put a piece of hickory on it. I split 85% of my wood with it now. I've just been looking at the council products, I'm in love with their jersey axe. My birthday is Sunday and my wife wants to get me something that I don't have to do a ton of work on to be able to use. I'm definitely on the look out for old axe heads though.

I done a thread on the maul makeover. I think it turned out pretty nice.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 13
Woodeneye, that is definitely an option. I found an old Luddell 6# maul head at an antique shop close to home. I took it to work and sandblasted it, shaved the cheeks down (a few times actually), and polished and painted it, then put a piece of hickory on it. I split 85% of my wood with it now. I've just been looking at the council products, I'm in love with their jersey axe. My birthday is Sunday and my wife wants to get me something that I don't have to do a ton of work on to be able to use. I'm definitely on the look out for old axe heads though.

I done a thread on the maul makeover. I think it turned out pretty nice.
You may want to do your homework on those Council Tool axes. Obviously there's one fanboy on here but a few other guys who purchased weren't as impressed by the quality.

Back