What bad fuel can do for you..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That piston was delibertly cooked at the Stihl tech center at Va Beach. It came out of a brand new MS211. It was done so to show what heat will do. The saw's pull rope assembly where the air goes through to cool the engine was completely blocked off. The cooling of the engine was cut off almost completely. There's the result. I read the 5100 had some changes done to it to make it cool better. I think there lies the real cause of these fried engines we been seeing of late. Take a hot rod like the 5100 turning high rpms with a cooling issue and you got some odd scoring..

That piston was delibertly cooked at the Stihl tech center at Va Beach. It came out of a brand new MS211. It was done so to show what heat will do. The saw's pull rope assembly where the air goes through to cool the engine was completely blocked off. The cooling of the engine was cut off almost completely. There's the result. I read the 5100 had some changes done to it to make it cool better. I think there lies the real cause of these fried engines we been seeing of late. Take a hot rod like the 5100 turning high rpms with a cooling issue and you got some odd scoring..

That's very interesting Tom, gona have to call ya CSI TOM. Now think about all those burned up 5100's that the dealer blamed it on the user saying improper fuel, how many of those did we hear of?????????????? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM I'd be just a little pissed off!!!!!!!

That's very interesting Tom, gona have to call ya CSI TOM. Now think about all those burned up 5100's that the dealer blamed it on the user saying improper fuel, how many of those did we hear of?????????????? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM I'd be just a little pissed off!!!!!!!

Well I'm thinking maybe some woodchips stuck in the pull rope assembly itself restricting air flow. I found it odd how the scoring I saw in the pics resemble that 211 piston done on purpose. I read in someones post that some changes were made to help the 5100 cool better. In all I'd say keep the pull rope assembly clean and open may prevent such odd scoring.

Years ago I had a 460 come in scored. When I pulled the top cover is was packed with huge saw chips. The guy had never bothered to clean his saw and over time it packed up. He did keep his chains super sharp though, those chips looked like noodles. Anyway another one cooked due to lack of cooling..

Well I'm thinking maybe some woodchips stuck in the pull rope assembly itself restricting air flow. I found it odd how the scoring I saw in the pics resemble that 211 piston done on purpose. I read in someones post that some changes were made to help the 5100 cool better. In all I'd say keep the pull rope assembly clean and open may prevent such odd scoring.

Years ago I had a 460 come in scored. When I pulled the top cover is was packed with huge saw chips. The guy had never bothered to clean his saw and over time it packed up. He did keep his chains super sharp though, those chips looked like noodles. Anyway another one cooked due to lack of cooling..

Yes, this is why I clean my saws. I don't make em pretty each time, but I keep them very serviced.

Anyway back to this boxing match, who do I have to knock out first.!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, this is why I clean my saws. I don't make em pretty each time, but I keep them very serviced.

Anyway back to this boxing match, who do I have to knock out first.!!!!!!!!!!

Well take ya choice, Wiggle or Matt, they're over in the gym training last I heard,LOLOL

parris...dont make me go LL Cool J on ya.....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-7l250E5uM4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-7l250E5uM4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

parris...dont make me go LL Cool J on ya.....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-7l250E5uM4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-7l250E5uM4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hey, remember when Mike Tyson??

Try me, I'll bite your dang EAR OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on guys place your bets, I got my bookie book right here. Looks like its gonna be a doosey of a showdown. If yaw think they fighting hard now wait till you see them go at it when I lower that blower 10 feet above the ring,
:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Its almost not a fight, you sure you guys wanna do this?

Its almost not a fight, you sure you guys wanna do this?

I aint backin, but I'll let yall go first....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cm9APLkGy7M&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cm9APLkGy7M&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

+1 You are spot on with your diagnosis! The case on the new 5105 allows for more airflow around the cylinder for better cooling.

I aint backin, but I'll let yall go first....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cm9APLkGy7M&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cm9APLkGy7M&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

See those two sorry fellers laying in the ring with their ass's handed to them?? That's Matt and Wiggle. I lay'd a whopp'n on them both at the same time!!!

See those two sorry fellers laying in the ring with their ass's handed to them?? That's Matt and Wiggle. I lay'd a whopp'n on them both at the same time!!!

knockout-punch.jpg

Parris down except I'm not black and either is he.... i think?

+1 You are spot on with your diagnosis! The case on the new 5105 allows for more airflow around the cylinder for better cooling.

Good deal, I knew I read something about that somewhere. I keep my 5100 super clean. Its been flawless since day one. Mine is 2-3 yrs old now. I don't use it all the time because I got several saws to use but even so I think keeping them clean will help resolve alot this premature cooking of the cylinder. I like that little saw. They haul buggy in the wood for sure.

Good deal, I knew I read something about that somewhere. I keep my 5100 super clean. Its been flawless since day one. Mine is 2-3 yrs old now. I don't use it all the time because I got several saws to use but even so I think keeping them clean will help resolve alot this premature cooking of the cylinder. I like that little saw. They haul buggy in the wood for sure.

We know you don't use your saws. You just like to intimidate men with all them saws in the shed, then when they are standing their in shock you.....

Tommie,

You don't have the heart to tell them sparrin' dudes that I left with that ole blower after you finished the #2, do ya? Oh, you have cheese on your chin.

Have another ice cold Pepsi,

ole joat

Latest posts

Back