What bar lengths you all running on the 70cc saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merkel

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What bar lengths you all running on your 70cc saws as a standard? I pretty much think I have my mind made up on a 462 and need to call the dealer here this morning to order. Just cant decide to order the saw with a 25" or 28". I can really only see me really running a 25" but want to get a Tsmura bar in place of Stihl so may just order it with a 28" and store it for those odd chances I may need it and buy a Tsumura a 24" for regular business.

I was running a 28" on my Poulan 245 (74cc). I just put a 24" on it. The saw had no problem pulling the 28", but I think 24" is more practical.

The length of the 28" was nice to have, but I found that it was usually 5"-7" longer than necessary. There were times where the added length was somewhat problematic and I had to use caution when cutting to make sure the tip didn't hit the rock on the other side of the tree.

Personally I'd buy it with a 20" es bar. A 70cc and 20" is my go to firewood setup. Then I'd buy a 28" lightweight tsumura from redbull660. I don't like 25" bars. Heavy and they don't quite reach the ground. With a 28" I can keep my back straight, bend my knees a little and reach the ground a safe distance from my toes.

Sometimes what I can cut with a 24" can be a real bear to deal with. But you can always cut pies from the really large pieces so you can pick them up and load them in your truck. I have bucked logs that my 32" bar had to cut from both sides, and it took 2 of use to roll it into my trailer. Not sure I want to do that again, but if it is lying on the road, it might be hard to pass up. Will a 426 handle a 32" bar? My 461 did not oil the 32" well, and I had to convert the oiler to a High Output oiler. So that should be a consideration.

I know a guy that can probably get you a decent deal on a reduced weight bar for that.
I'd probably be interested. If I had a lighter bar for it, I wouldn't really need any of the 60 or 65cc saws that I own.

I have a Poulan 4900 with a lightweight 24" bar, and a Echo 660 with a new 20" Power Match bar. But I think they are both D176 mount, and 1.5mm seems like a lot to be dremeling out.

I'd probably be interested. If I had a lighter bar for it, I wouldn't really need any of the 60 or 65cc saws that I own.

I have a Poulan 4900 with a lightweight 24" bar, and a Echo 660 with a new 20" Power Match bar. But I think they are both D176 mount, and 1.5mm seems like a lot to be dremeling out.
I'll send him a link to this thread.

If your going to buy two bars a 20 and 28 (or a 20 and 24) would probably make more sense, there's not much difference between a 24/25 and a 28.

I run a 20" although I also have a 25" for my 046. Any more than that and I do not want to saw it. And a 20" bar is a lot of fun on that saw.

Latest posts

Back