What brand of Chaps to get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sadly almost no one uses chest protection... at lease based upon feedback asking who wears upper protection post...

hands is another high accident areas that rarely gets protection. two areas with largest number of accidents reports are leg area and hands.

be sure and purchase a good chainsaw hardhat. try one to find out if that brand is comfortable on you.

My guess is that most hand injuries is from one-handing top-handle saws -and I never wear a hard-hat, as my green birch trees don't have "widow-makers".

Stihl Chaps are good

I use Stihl Chaps, and other Stihl PPE.

I think the differences between the brands are minimal, as long as we're talking about apples and apples.....

I have Stihl "ProMark" regular-style chaps that I like very much. I have yet to "test" them, thankfully. I also have the matching helmet with the earmuffs and screen.
As far as the chaps go I have been wondering if it would be worthwhile to "upgrade" to a pair Labonvilles? Everyone around here seems to love theirs and I want to see what the fuss is all about. Even more than that I love to find "real stuff" thats still made here and support them by buying as much of their stuff as makes sense for me.:) Also would it be woth it if Im upgrading to Labonvilles to go "full wrap"?

I wear the SwedPro summer pants and really like them, theres a pic around here somewhere. I'm pretty sure SwedPro makes all of Stihls PPE.... at least on this side of the pond. :cheers:

Found it

Oct2007GTG_59.jpg

I like the pants better, seems like I was always snagging the chaps or straps on something.

Nice pics SawTroll and Erick. I haven't bought any chaps yet but they are definately on my to order list. Probably from Labonville or I might just stop in at the Stihl dealer. He carries both the 6-ply and 12-ply chaps. I figure the 6 ply would be a good compromise for weight and strength.

ppe pants vs chaps

So, I was thinking of trying out the stihl or labonville pants Vs buying a new set of wrap-chaps. What is everyones feeling about the protection in the pants? Do they cover the femoral artery the same? do they have the same width+length of protective material, or is it a safety compromise in the name of ease of use?

i don't know about the stihl pants but the labonville pants(black nylon) seem to have more protection than my regular chap, i just recently bought a pair of there snap in safety pads and really like them in the brush, no straps to hang up on

I was wondering how long chaps are good. I have a pair that are 3 years old that have been used twice are they still good? they are just like new. I ended up in the emergency room on friday . It wasnt my legs that got cut it was my right arm just below the elbow and this got me thinking about wearing chaps.

I was wondering how long chaps are good. I have a pair that are 3 years old that have been used twice are they still good? they are just like new. I ended up in the emergency room on friday . It wasnt my legs that got cut it was my right arm just below the elbow and this got me thinking about wearing chaps.

Yikes! Are you gonna be OK?:jawdrop:

Yikes! Are you gonna be OK?:jawdrop:
yea ill be fine it kind of a glorified scatch really but still needed ten stiches. I triped and fell and hit the chain with my arm the chain wasnt turning though. im going back to work tommorow. funy thing is it never really hurt at all.

Labonville, full wrap around calf.
Made in USA, FAST service and cost less than Stihl or Husky chaps.

385 you OK?

Can't have you going round leaking that good Iowa blood. Ground here is already so fertile that we feed the world, and now with ethanol we also power it. Put too much of you blood in the ground and we'll have corn 25 feet tall. Take care of yourself. JR

Back