What can you tell me about this old Craftsman saw? Pic warning.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking about $120. The only thing I haven't verified is that it oils. I don't know why it wouldn't but it can't hurt to check. It is supposed to be a automatic and manual oiler. Can I just look for spray off the bar?

Also, I was not successful in getting the muffler apart. I looks like the bolts come out then the muffler should split in half. The back half should be screwed to the engine. Maybe there is carbon build up holding it together. IDK.

Yes it has a manual and automatic oiler. The muffler front should come off with the 2 bolts removed.

dont take offense but your a fool if you dont check the piston..... i bought one that seemed perfect... piston was scored... do what you want i wont buy a saw any more unless i can see the piston..... and your still with a saw of this age going to have to address the seals if you plan on using it more then once in awhile.....just things i have learned the hard way..... good luck and do what feels right for you....this is my Opinion....we all have one...

sorry i just hate to see you pay top dollar when its so easy to cover your arse..... good luck buddy

OK, I had to take a rubber mallet and tap the muffler half off. Carbon build up was holding it together. Not a super fan of this muffler design. Seems kinda restrictive, since exhaust vents back towards the cylinder. There might be some light scoring way down toward the bottom of the skirt but the rings looked flawless. I will give it a closer look later. Made some photos but I don't think they turned out usable.

Dirt ingestion was a problem on these models, so you might pull the carb and peek at that side, and remove the plug and pull
the rope rapidly, and listen for bearing noise.

Latest posts

Back