What?Change what Oil!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
Had to run into town to get some supplies earlier, and there sitting in front of a house was a pretty big bunch of tools with a big sign, MOVING SALE. Noticed right off a big wood splitter and had to stop.
Turns out to be a homemade splitter, but really nice. Somebody spent some time putting this together. Kohler 25hp engine, very long ram. I got to talking to the guy, he bought it at a local auction a few years ago, and had to sell it along with all his other heavy tools.
I asked him about the maintenence on the splitter, did he have any records?
He said he wasnt aware of any that needed to be done to a wood splitter, and I told him he needed to at least change the oi, I change mine every 15 hours of use, and i keep fairly close count of those hours. Well, he said he thought so too, but everytime he pulled the filter(this is where he pointed to the hydralic fluid filter) the oil always looked so clear and fresh he never bothered with it. Why change it if its clean.
I leaned down, and after straining a good bit, managed to get the dipstick unscrewed on the motor. There was oil showing on the dipstick,but I have seen mud that was cleaner. Black, clumpy, and a bit smelly to boot.
He wanted $1500 for the unit, and after looking at the whole thing had to admit it was probably worth it minus the engine, but there was little doubt that if that engine didnt fail the first time I ran it, it wouldnt be long after.
Sad, isnt it?

Yes, it is sad...

Don't understand why people can't take better care of things. Just today, I saw two Ski-doo snowmobiles (nice one's)sitting on a trailer with the cover torn to pieces! Sunlight on the black rubber starts to break down after a while. He should have them stored indoors. When Im not using something, its inside!

Every 15 hours of use?????

I have a 25 hp kohler on my stump machine and change it every 50-60 hours of use, run synthetic in it also. Stump machine eating much more dust than a log splitter. Every 15 hours seems like a waste of oil to change it so often.

My processor has a 25hp Honda that I change the oil and filter on every 50 hours +- I change the oil in the 5.5 Honda on the elevator at the same time. I think the manual suggests 100 hours.

Considering, how many hours some people use their splitters. It might have to be changed once a year, or once every 50 hours. Their is not much oil in some of these small engines, so changing the oil a little more frequently will not break the bank. Just my opinion.

Every 15 hours?

Considering that there is often no oil filter on a small motor and those hours are likely hard hours, that may be a good idea. :monkey:

I'll think about it.

Every 15 hours?

Considering that there is often no oil filter on a small motor and those hours are likely hard hours, that may be a good idea. :monkey:

I'll think about it.
Some may think that it is excessive to change your oil that often, but years ago when I was in the Navy I had a rare chance as a machinist mate to attend a training class on oil breakdowns. On board ship, machinery oil is NEVER thrown away, it is purified and put right back in the machine. According to our chief, he hadnt ordered any new oil for over six years for our engineering space, and then only because some is lost due to spillage etc.
Under a microscope we examined oil that had been in the machine for only ten hours, and it was astonishing how fast metal pariticles accumulate. Oil doesnt actually wear out, it gets dirty according to the engineers from General Electric, the company that makes a great deal of the huge engines found on many Navy ships.
I have a chart on my door in my shop, lists every piece of gas powered equipement that I have, with all the capaicities in oz. When I am going to go split wood, i head to the tractor shed, attach a can with a wire under the drain hole, pull the plug, and let it drain into the can while i tow it to the woodpile. Once there I plug the hole, pour the premeasured amount of oil into the engine and start splitting. Takes no additional time, and given the cost of motor oil at 2.75 a quart, is small cost compared to the cost of a motor failure.
I have a 1962 Wheelhorse garden tractor, it mowes the lawn twice a week, tills the garden, pulls my splitter, hauls everything else. there isnt a day goes by that it isnt run for at least several hours and has the original motor with no overhaul except a carb kit a few years ago. I like to think that the frequent oil changes got it here. It was retired only this year when i bought a new husky tractor, only then because the husky with its 50inch deck will mow the lawn in three hours instead of the wheelhorse's 5hours. I was spending far too much time mowing the lawn. And the Husky has a bit more pulling power, hydrostatic drive, etc.
Still got the wheelhorse though...

Just remember guys, Frequent oil changes WON'T make a "Bad" engine good!
Some engines are just not as good as others, and a million oil changes won't make them last as long as a quality engine.

But oil changes are definately a good way to keep a good engine running strong and for a long time!

My splitter with the honda engine says to change the oil every 25 hours of use, I keep carefull track of the time used and change it just before it is due.

Back