What do the experts think of my chainsaw lineup?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubicon

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to find out what the chainsaw gurus think of my current chainsaw lineup. Here it is.

Husqvarna 35
Husqvarna 266 SE
Stihl 028 Super AV
Stihl 038 AV

Well? Good choices? I know these are all OLD saws, but they really work well for me.

Any opinions welcome, good and bad.

Rubicon said:
Just wanted to find out what the chainsaw gurus think of my current chainsaw lineup. Here it is.

Husqvarna 35
Husqvarna 266 SE
Stihl 028 Super AV
Stihl 038 AV

Well? Good choices? I know these are all OLD saws, but they really work well for me.

Any opinions welcome, good and bad.

I'd say real good choices. They work well for you then by Joe that makes them excellent choices.

Dont matter what others think of your lineup. what matters is A. they work for you and B. that you like them. now go grab one and make some chips.

Lawn Masters said:
Dont matter what others think of your lineup. what matters is A. they work for you and B. that you like them. now go grab one and make some chips.

High five on those words. You hit the nail dead center........

Thanks for the replys guys.

I'm looking more along the lines of what do you think of the saws themselves?

Rubicon said:
Thanks for the replys guys.

I'm looking more along the lines of what do you think of the saws themselves?

Well, you know what they say about opinions....

I don't know squat about the Huskys, but the 028 Super is a fine saw. The 038 is as well, but just like the 056, it's more desired in the Mag II configuration.

You're missing a big cc saw in your line up. You might want to consider an 066. Even if you get one with a scored cylinder, Bailey's is going to start selling a big bore kit in the fall that'll bump it up from 92cc to 98cc. I think everyone needs at least one large displacement saw in their lineup.

If they work for you like everyone else has said is whats most important. I personally have an old husky 266se and thats a damn good saw. I still use it all the time for smaller work. So looks like you are on your way to a nice saw collection.

Rubicon said:
I know these are all OLD saws, but they really work well for me.

Then they're the best damned collection of saws ever. Seriously, we get far to competitive on here about who owns what here on AS. It's all about whether the saw gets the job done when it asked. It is easy to forget that, sometimes.

That said, while I know little about the Husqvarna 35, the other three are regarded as some of the better, more durable saws out there. So even in the context of this competitive environment you're doing well for yourself!!

Like these guys said-as long as they get the job done and you like using them, then they are awesome saws. Heck, for a while I used homelite xl's for trimming. Definitely not a pro saw but I liked them better than the other climbing saws on the market at the time. (Of course, then the 020t came out and I've never run a homelite since.):biggrinbounce2:

Last edited:
saw lineup

Would anybody on this forum knock a persons saw??Never mind I just thought of a couple of people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the husky 266 is a killer saw. good power to start. have it woods ported and its REALLY a wood eating monster that will spank a stock 044 with a 24" bar no problem.

Well, it's a good START, but if you hang around here, you may want to have a longer list.

Just guessing, but I would suspect that the 2 that get the most use would be the 028 followed by the 266. Am I right? The 028 is a great all around saw. The 266 and the 038 are similar in displacement but the 266 should be noticably quicker and a bit lighter.

Like most members said, it's what you think that really matters.

Latest posts

Back