What do you carry when you go to cut firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hipastore

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A gallon of fuel, quart of bar oil, and tool box, a first aid kit, larger set of tools, and cooler with water?Another bar and chain?

What are your list?

Carry? Saw, pouch with wedges, axe to pound said wedges.
Take along for the ride? Choker cables 8’, 20’, 50’, 100’. Snatch blocks for cabling. Extra saw. Gas and bar oil. Toolbox with extra parts, chains, chainsaw tools. Cant hook. Shovel. Log chain. Tree saver strap. A couple jugs of water. Maybe a snack.

It really all depends on the job. Sometimes someone paid to get trees dropped and they felt they would cut the wood up but never did so all you have to do is buck it. At a bare minimum for those types of jobs, I take my Saw, extra chain, small box of tools, and files. Maybe I can’t hook if there are larger pieces.

Add a cell phone or EPIRB depending on how far in you are.
2 aspirin in case of heart attack.
helmet.
gloves
chaps.
hookaroon
and maybe a peavey.

Recently, I’ve decided having a CAT tourniquet and quikclot combat gauze on hand are important considerations. Especially after seeing some photos of chainsaw injuries on here recently.

In addition to PPE I carry a backpack with fuel, bar oil, wedges, axe, scrench, felling lever, a spare chain and bar, first aid kit and a water bottle if I have to walk a bit to where I cut.

On my body:
PPE is a given(helmet, chaps, gloves, glasses, yada yada.) spare pair of earplugs, scrench, carb screwdriver, SOFT W tourniquet, 1-2 wedges.
In my saw bar cover:
Spare bar, spare chain, 2 wedges,
In my backpack:
A silky handsaw, trauma kit W/ quick clot and a swat tourniquet, felling axe, 0.5-1 gallons of fuel, 1-2 quarts of bar oil, 1-2 spare chains, 2 Nalgene's of water, a couple of cliff bars.

if I was 21 I would carry a handgun in a chest holster given the remoteness of where I live

Saw, wedge bag, first aid kit. Gas so I can buck up the tree I put on the ground.

Yup ive done

A sturdy pocket knife and a full roll of electrical tape plus wood cutting stuff. Same stuff going hiking, boating, to my shop etc..

2 saws, 2.5 Gallons of gas, 1 quart of bar oil, tool box, axe, wedges, rope, PPE, coffee, water, spare chains for both saws, and a lawn chair for my breaks in between work. Soon adding a S&W to the carry list.

Latest posts

Back