What do you think about lettering my truck this way

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just trying to keep it real, thats all. Sometimes I tell it like it is, thats just me. If you guys want to tell him thats a sweet truck for treework, thats fine. Thats just not my opinion, thats all.

Arbor pro, for your information most professionals will admit that you cannot properly prune trees from a bucket truck anyways.

That's right! I've been to several marketing seminars and one of the key things in advertising (especially magazine or book format) is to have minimal information with a lot of clear space around your logo, and contact details.

I used this advice immediately for a yellow pages campaign (same company as Yellow Book) and as soon as the books were out I was snowed under with work.:agree2:

I was just trying to keep it real, thats all. Sometimes I tell it like it is, thats just me. If you guys want to tell him thats a sweet truck for treework, thats fine. Thats just not my opinion, thats all.

It's not a sweet truck for tree work. It is what it is. I'm sure that if he could afford more, he would. He didn't ask anyone if this truck would work. He asked about lettering on it. Didn't you read his initial post?

[/QUOTE]Arbor pro, for your information most professionals will admit that you cannot properly prune trees from a bucket truck anyways.[/QUOTE]

"most professionals"? Are these experts from your area of the world, mine or TKO KID's? Have you ever done tree work in our regions of the world or are you again assuming that just because YOU 'can't properly prune trees from a bucket truck' in your area of the world that we can't do it in ours?

I'm a certified professional arborist and landscape architect. I'm not a hack just because I prefer to use a machine to help me get the job done. Who really gives a fart whether you climb, use a bucket truck or fly like tinkerbell to get a pruning job done so long as the job gets done properly? Isn't that all that really matters?

So, are you one of 'those expert tree guys' who says that no respectable arborist can properly do tree work without a brush chipper? I don't get some of you guys who claim that heavy equipment isn't necessary for working within the tree; yet, you can't live without it on the ground. :dizzy:

To me, who cares how you clean up the mess so long as you do the job right and leave the customer happy.

I said it before and I'll say it once more before logging off for the weekend - some of you guys need to get off of your high horses and stop thinking tree work revolves only around those of you who live within a certain area of the world. Trees are everywhere - all kinds of shapes and sizes and locations. No one approach suits everyone or everything. Don't bash guys on this site just for having an opinion different than yours.

(P.s - I'm not bashing TreeMDS, I'm defending the guys that he's bashing. There's a difference).

Have a good weekend everybody. It's time to go scoop the driveway (new snow) and have some fun with the kidos.

some pride

If you show some pride in the truck you arirve in, the first thought of the customer is that you will take some pride in the work that you do for them.
Paint it what ever color you would like then letter it in a contrasting color to be seen clearly , think of some saftey colors on the boom at least. the paint job doesn't need to be real smooth as if for show but done in some type of detail, and do the rims!

I love this new school/kinder gentler treeworkin mentality - too much for you that climbing?? thats alright, here's a binky, take my hand and I'll gently and kindly lead you to the bucket - being sure not to raise my voice too loud, as I know you'll quit (or break something on me latter).

ROFLMFAO :clap:

That's wonderful! I really dislike all these bucket babies who flat out can't climb. "I'm gonna start a tree company. I can't climb, so I'll just buy a bucket, or hire somebody else to do all the dangerous work." WTF are you gonna get with a bucket that can't even get up 45 feet? I've used a 50 footer a couple of times, and the thing isn't good for much.

ROFLMFAO :clap:

That's wonderful! I really dislike all these bucket babies who flat out can't climb. "I'm gonna start a tree company. I can't climb, so I'll just buy a bucket, or hire somebody else to do all the dangerous work." WTF are you gonna get with a bucket that can't even get up 45 feet? I've used a 50 footer a couple of times, and the thing isn't good for much.

As I said, just tryin to keep it real, lol. The above mentality is what I was really "bashing" in the first place - not TKO personally. It really does get tiring after awhile this everyone's a treeguy just add bucket truck mentality.

It takes more than an $800 truck to start a tree buisiness, even less really, just a job doing it for a real tree service for awhile. But everyone seems to want to avoid that step like the plauge for some reason :monkey:

Tree mds, I know what you are saying as well I understand arborpro!

the thing that does bother me is watching a new guy (tree service) start up with equipment that has pretty much been put outta service by the utility whos auctioned it off in the first place.

as long as he doesnt take on work he cant handle, however I have heard that said many times only to be called in for the butchered up all I could reach hatrack that I have to either make look nice or remove!

It is a new world of tree trimmers I`ll say that, kid just be smart, do only what you can handle, as for the lawn service thing you were talking about...I see this alot too, If you had "tree" exp. as you say then why chose lawns? if lawns are your bread & butter then surely you could of bought better unless that work line isnt going to well!

either way, dont get in over your head....your Reputation will be ruined & thats the most important thing for a biz.....good luck!

BTW, lettering will look fine, boom will be too short & truck needs some TLC

LXT...........

What do you all think of this idea on lettering my truck.

I will paint it of course and try to get a new door for the back cabinet, if I can't get one I guess I will just drill holes and Mount I peice of Plywood and paint it white, but I do not know yet.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

so if you have an idea and want to post it let me know, I am posting one picture that has no writing other then the phone number. SO you can put itin paint if you want to.

Thanks for any idea in advance

It's not a full on tree service truck,but can still be handy for small to med. trees,especially in tight spots.There is a guy here that has one like yours and a hi ranger also.Can't allways get the big one to the tree.You use what you got,i say.

Other guys are right about keeping it simple.Name and #, vinyl letters are great and cheap
You could even improve the looks just with a brush,and roller.
Please do yourself a favor and replace,or at least cover the door on the bed.

Why Lawn. Well because I did not start this business. My other half did she cut lawns around here neighborhood for a few years before we met.

Then we met at a place we both worked nights at. After awhile of us being together I started to over cutting them. She insisted on paying me but I didn't mind. We decide that there was no use just cutting a few lawns. So we started to grow it into a business.

we started getting into tree's because a lot of our customers needed tree work over the years and would ask us who to use and we could never find anyone we could recommend. They where either not legal,didn't have insurance,unreliable,or the weirdest one wanted to run our credit so that we could refer people to them.

We didn't want any money, or anything for it. We just wanted to know that our customers tree was being taken care of by a responsible company that would not rip them off or destroy their property.

After many referals not working out and tons not having the insurance they said they had.

we decide we would start taking care of them for them.

At first we put out ads to hire an experienced climber(that could pass a drug test) Never found one and starting pay was $25 an hour. For the few who showed up that had real experience we offered the lowest one $29 and the highest $36 an hour to start.

Guess what out of 6 that we even thought of hiring 5 didn't pass the drug test and the one who did never showed up for work.

So eventually I finally decided it would get back in the tree even though I did not want to, because at my last job doing trees there was a chainsaw injury of another employee and I had decided no more for me.

But after a while dealing with all the unreliable,unproffesional services, and or workers out there I realised that the accident at my last tree employer wasn't because everyone gets injured it was because proper safety measures where not followed and we pretty much where discouraged from the because of the added time safety caused( I am sure some of you who worked for tree services know what I mean) It took me a little while but I told myself it would not be like that if I was in charge which I am in our business. So I make sure we have all safety gear and if it isn't worn you get written up. One guy still doesn't follow all the safety guidelines and somewhat refuses(he is 19 and think he knows everything(he also thinks it is uncool to where safety equipment) So he gets written up a lot for that. He also loses his bi weekly bonus every time he gets paid. for some dumb reason he would rather look cool then make 100+ more dollars every two weeks.

doesn't bother me that much because when he tries something that would be really unsafe like not wearing a hard hat when under the tree while i am cutting above I scream at him and he puts it on. he is a great worker just the typical stupid kid raised from helicopter parents. By the way It also means that I pay out $250 or more less every month.

He also can not use a saw unless I am on the ground because of his typical safety gear attitude.

Anything I missed

So if any of you have some lame excuse still as to why you should be able to cut down trees and not me let hear it.

By the way that is me in my avatar and I have been told I hit like a truck by other fighters who have got in the ring with me either at a bout, or in the gym sparring.

So if you really feel like you are that much more of a man then me. You can always ask where the gym is and come by for a few light rounds and show me how much more of a man you are.

Thanks again to all the real tree services responding with helpful criticism. It is greatly appreciated.

This will also be the last time I respond with the whole reason we got into tree's. Or why we got into lawns first so if you need to be reminded feel free to come back to the post for a refresher as much as you want/need.

Good luck this year to everybody

It's not a full on tree service truck,but can still be handy for small to med. trees,especially in tight spots.There is a guy here that has one like yours and a hi ranger also.Can't allways get the big one to the tree.You use what you got,i say.

Other guys are right about keeping it simple.Name and #, vinyl letters are great and cheap
You could even improve the looks just with a brush,and roller.
Please do yourself a favor and replace,or at least cover the door on the bed.

Yeah we use vinyl lettering on all of vehicles, We have our own 48" inch vinyl plotter so we do it all in house. Much cheaper when you have multiple things to vinyl. plus for yard signs here most companies want $40+ per sign and the amount we use would cost a small fortune for things that get stolen or thrown away a lot.

yeah we definetely will be doing something with the rear cabinet just not sure what yet.

I am not sure if you can tell or not but the back passenger side had been backed into something at one time, by the previous owner. So we are not sure that the original type door will fit. I was thinking of finding some 1/4 inch sheet/plate of metal to weld into place.

Any ideas on what we could use their would be greatly appreciated.

Why Lawn. Well because I did not start this business. My other half did she cut lawns around here neighborhood for a few years before we met.

Then we met at a place we both worked nights at. After awhile of us being together I started to over cutting them. She insisted on paying me but I didn't mind. We decide that there was no use just cutting a few lawns. So we started to grow it into a business.

we started getting into tree's because a lot of our customers needed tree work over the years and would ask us who to use and we could never find anyone we could recommend. They where either not legal,didn't have insurance,unreliable,or the weirdest one wanted to run our credit so that we could refer people to them.

We didn't want any money, or anything for it. We just wanted to know that our customers tree was being taken care of by a responsible company that would not rip them off or destroy their property.

After many referals not working out and tons not having the insurance they said they had.

we decide we would start taking care of them for them.

At first we put out ads to hire an experienced climber(that could pass a drug test) Never found one and starting pay was $25 an hour. For the few who showed up that had real experience we offered the lowest one $29 and the highest $36 an hour to start.

Guess what out of 6 that we even thought of hiring 5 didn't pass the drug test and the one who did never showed up for work.

So eventually I finally decided it would get back in the tree even though I did not want to, because at my last job doing trees there was a chainsaw injury of another employee and I had decided no more for me.

But after a while dealing with all the unreliable,unproffesional services, and or workers out there I realised that the accident at my last tree employer wasn't because everyone gets injured it was because proper safety measures where not followed and we pretty much where discouraged from the because of the added time safety caused( I am sure some of you who worked for tree services know what I mean) It took me a little while but I told myself it would not be like that if I was in charge which I am in our business. So I make sure we have all safety gear and if it isn't worn you get written up. One guy still doesn't follow all the safety guidelines and somewhat refuses(he is 19 and think he knows everything(he also thinks it is uncool to where safety equipment) So he gets written up a lot for that. He also loses his bi weekly bonus every time he gets paid. for some dumb reason he would rather look cool then make 100+ more dollars every two weeks.

doesn't bother me that much because when he tries something that would be really unsafe like not wearing a hard hat when under the tree while i am cutting above I scream at him and he puts it on. he is a great worker just the typical stupid kid raised from helicopter parents. By the way It also means that I pay out $250 or more less every month.

He also can not use a saw unless I am on the ground because of his typical safety gear attitude.

Anything I missed

So if any of you have some lame excuse still as to why you should be able to cut down trees and not me let hear it.

By the way that is me in my avatar and I have been told I hit like a truck by other fighters who have got in the ring with me either at a bout, or in the gym sparring.

So if you really feel like you are that much more of a man then me. You can always ask where the gym is and come by for a few light rounds and show me how much more of a man you are.

Thanks again to all the real tree services responding with helpful criticism. It is greatly appreciated.

This will also be the last time I respond with the whole reason we got into tree's. Or why we got into lawns first so if you need to be reminded feel free to come back to the post for a refresher as much as you want/need.

Good luck this year to everybody

Ok! FINE! Just paint the truck first and about that drug test - I thought a high score was good.
How high does that boom go? What year is the truck?

Bring it on

Not bashing, not taking sides, just throwing my two cents in. I support my family and the families of my employees by doing dangerous, risky, technical and hard work. The only way we can support all of these people is by being one of the most expensive around. The only way I can be one of the most expensive is by doing an excellent job EVERY time. Excellent job starts with a professional phone call, followed with a professional visit (in a clean truck, clean shaven, uniform, ect.) If we are awarded the job, we show up in clean trucks, everyone in uniform, newer equipment, no leaks on the driveway, no, "sorry about the fence", clear and professional comunications throughout the workday ("Clear?", "All clear"), ect. Our clean-up goal is to make it look like we were never there except the missing tree(s). Yada, Yada, Yada.

Showing up to the job in that piece of crap will not help to grow your business.

One more thing

All of the tree guys I know are pretty BA mutha F ers. I would not make it a habit of picking fights with them

I say if it works for you and you can be professional with it then it's cool. Best of luck to you TKO. Paint it nice and do quality work and you will do fine. Oh and don't leak any oil on the driveways..... Mike

first you need to paint the truck and make it look as good as possible then I think the lettering will be fine as you showed in the second picture but I'd switch the web address to the bottom boom or the sides of the hood and move the company name and number to the top.

I can think of a 100 places where that little truck would have been very useful for tree work.......

Arbor pro, for your information most professionals will admit that you cannot properly prune trees from a bucket truck anyways.
what makes you feel this way??????

and it's not hard to do tree work and lawn work as one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back