What Do You Wear For Boots While You Are Logging?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep losing the spikes. I'm not sure what is going on. I tighten them up, but then one or two are gone. I may give Kulien's a call, except they wanted me to get the permanent ones. I like to be able to replace them without a trip to Centralia.

Maybe I need an air compressor run tool to drive them in? Maybe it is the brand I bought?

The timer is going off. Time to go check the HUCKLEBERRY PIE made out of this year's berries. :hmm3grin2orange:

Huckleberry pie? I'll bring the vanilla ice cream. I was just kidding about the "boots in adult sizes"...really I was. Kinda.

And, back on topic...permanent spikes? What happens when they get run down? I don't think I've ever seen permanent spikes.

. Un bolt all the corks , put a dab of shoe goo in the nut then screw the corks back in while the stuff is still nice and wet and goooy ......... Thats a Boom mans and tug boaters trick .. It makes a gasket that keeps the salt water away from the threads of the nut and cork .. I found it also eliminated loose or missing corks ... It is not enough adhesion to make changing them out when dull a problem ....... I use a cordless screw gun to change corks ... I cut the handle off a t handle wrench and save my wrist .. I set the torque real light when running them back in and do the final torquing by hand with a diff t wrench ..

Shoe goo? Good idea.

Huckleberry pie? I'll bring the vanilla ice cream. I was just kidding about the "boots in adult sizes"...really I was. Kinda.

And, back on topic...permanent spikes? What happens when they get run down? I don't think I've ever seen permanent spikes.

You take them in to the boot maker.

Oh no. Now which box is the shoe goo in? :dizzy:

Griffin Corks

For a hundred years or so there were Drive in corks ,( Griffin corks ) then West Coast had the rivited in cork .... They were real good as they were real hard steel and didn,t wear down as fast as griffin corks ....... The down fall of the driven in cork was the sole leather .. With very few range bulls the leather wasn,t tough enough to hold the cork in .........But you couldn,t walk on rocks with them if you wanted them to stay sharp ..... Thats a main reason alot of guys had Triconies on their boots .. to save the corks ...... I like them because they help cut into the side hill and seem to reduce me falling down 25-30 % .. On steep wet ground triconies help alot and they will teach you not to step on your soles ...............:)

There is no Shoe Goo to be found, either in a handy, open box, the grocery store, or the hardware store. The hardware guy didn't even know what it was! That's it for local shopping.

I did find a tube of tire patch adhesive, and am considering using it. The tube says it stays flexible. Any ideas?

:Try RTV Silicone or a non hardening permetex found at hardware stores or local autoparts.It should be pretty close to shoe goo. :cheers:

I saw neither at the two "downtown" stores. Actually, the hardware store is more in the suburbs. Think little place with small grocery, two minimarts, three restaurants. There used to be a NAPA store but it went out of business after the spotted owl restrictions kicked in. But, maybe, come to think of it, it is now an RV camping type store and they just might have something?

How do you get the dull ones out ???

First soak the soles in water overnite, Put on shoe last (you really need one but I've seen it done without) hit the side of the caulk with a cold chisel, one good rap with hammer to cold chisel usually enough, use tack puller to get under flange on caulk and pop out.

Plug hole with match head and hammer around hole with ballpeen hammer to close hole. Drive new caulk in with caulk set,

Shoe last and caulk set a must.

I know what you're saying about the sole leather. Kuliens about the only shoe with quality sole leather any more and even they went to a teflon liner in the sole to keep the caulks from pushing threw.

Never thought much of the west coast rivited caulks. I always considered them pretty much a junk shoe.

My favorites were Hi-Lines and Johnsons. Much better then Kuliens. Both been gone for years.

Shoe goo , the operative word here (for starters ) is Shoe ....... Yall don,t Have marine supply stores there , Like where you buy Xtra Tuffs and Grunden's , Crab pot bouys , and halibut ganyon Ect ... They also sell Shoe Goo .......... Just think how mad they will be at Kuliens if you glue your corks in ..:dizzy::)

Last edited:
Shoe goo , the operative word here (for starters ) is Shoe ....... Yall don,t Have marine supply stores there , Like where you buy Xtra Tuffs and Grunden's , Crab pot bouys , and halibut ganyon Ect ... They also sell Shoe Goo .......... Just think how mad they will be at Kuliens if you glue your corks in ..:dizzy::)

Google "Englund Marine Supply"...they have a few stores on the left coast.

Yes, I'd get the Stink Eye and a lecture and probably a bill. I'll leave them until I find out that Morton has no shoe goo either. I'm due for a trip to Chehalis and Sunbirds will be sure to have it. Or Service Saw, or Madsens.

Shopping without going there is challenging.

Madsen's has it . Don,t use Free Sole . That stuff is great but VERY ADHESIVE ..Pemrel's I,m sure would have it .....Bought my first pair of custom High Lines from them ..... They even have it @ Fred Meyer's .and Wal Mart ... Arn,t those everywhere down there ?????????

Pemerals is no longer in business. I have shoe goo but moved recently so don't know which box it is in. But all of the other places will have it. And, I may stop in at Kuliens and ask their opinion. Or I'll just use it on one spike and see how it works.

A shopping trip is in the works. Then more unpacking.:cry:

whites cork boots. so expensive that they are the only boots i have now besides some busted up cow boots.

M left foot grew like a halfinch inch and now my left boot is too small:censored:, I have to wear it though...

I wear Viberg 105T corks ..... summer , and Hoffman felt lined rubber bottom leather top corks until 20 below 20-below I wearwhite Bata bunny boots or Lacrosse Icemans .... I found out Hoffman's will put a cork sole on bunny boots so I am going to send them a pair .......I am probably the only man who actually wears Corks in Prudhoe Bay ................. Cork tracks on the Kaparuk .....

Viberg 105, yep, great boots.

Back