what is a dependable small chainsaw for homeowner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my youth I cleared land and removed trees for homeowners,and cut my own firewood to heat my home for many years.I had a STIHL 015-AV which I loved.Later I used bigger HUSKYS and STIHLS.Now those saws are too heavy for me and I need advice on what would be a reliable,less expensive chainsaw to use for limbing and storm damage,and to use to show my son some of the skills I had back then,and how to responsibly use the saw.I can afford to buy something thats not made to fall apart or require constant repair,but what saws are well made today?I just want to get my moneys worth.Any suggestions???

Hi Mike: "ANY" brand name new saw you buy today is gonna be a pretty darn nice saw and will cut 10 to 12 cords of firewood a year with one hand tied behind its back. We're lucky to have so many fine choices. My only experience is with a 10 year old Stihl MS170 (14" bar, I bought it new for $149 but now they're $180) and a brand new Stihl MS290 Farm Boss (16" bar $350). I've run the snot out of the 170. It's very light, very maneuverable, super easy to start, and reliable as dirt. Cut quite a few 25"+ trees with it. But most of my stuff is 10" to 16". I didn't "need" a new saw, but I just "wanted" another tool (toy). Hence the Stihl MS290 Farm Boss. It's Stihl's biggest bang for the buck. It ain't high tech as it uses old tried and true technology. I cut 10 cords a year so I don't need, and can't justify, a "pro" saw. Stihl sells more 250's and 290's then all of their other models combined. There are quite literally hundreds of thousands of them in use. You might wanna look at the MS250 as it's a little lighter then the 290. But the little 170 would suit your needs to. I'm sure others will chime in with their recommendations.

Best advice I can give ya is to visit a bunch of local saw shops (regardless of brand). Decide which one is the friendliest and most knowledgeable, and go with them. Buy what ever saw you're most comfortable with and fits your budget. Any 30 cc saw will handle the chores you've described. And with proper care and maintenance, it will last a lifetime. You really can't go wrong.

Don <><

attachment.php

Last edited:
Hi Mike: "ANY" brand name new saw you buy today is gonna be a pretty darn nice saw and will cut 10 to 12 cords of firewood a year with one hand tied behind its back. We're lucky to have so many fine choices. My only experience is with a 10 year old Stihl MS170 (14" bar, I bought it new for $149 but now they're $180) and a brand new Stihl MS290 Farm Boss (16" bar $350). I've run the snot out of the 170. It's very light, very maneuverable, super easy to start, and reliable as dirt. Cut quite a few 25"+ trees with it. But most of my stuff is 10" to 16". I didn't "need" a new saw, but I just "wanted" another tool (toy). Hence the Stihl MS290 Farm Boss. It's Stihl's biggest bang for the buck. It ain't high tech as it uses old tried and true technology. I cut 10 cords a year so I don't need, and can't justify, a "pro" saw. Stihl sells more 250's and 290's then all of their other models combined. There are quite literally hundreds of thousands of them in use. You might wanna look at the MS250 as it's a little lighter then the 290. But the little 170 would suit your needs to. I'm sure others will chime in with their recommendations.

Best advice I can give ya is to visit a bunch of local saw shops (regardless of brand). Decide which one is the friendliest and most knowledgeable, and go with them. Buy what ever saw you're most comfortable with and fits your budget. Any 30 cc saw will handle the chores you've described. And with proper care and maintenance, it will last a lifetime. You really can't go wrong.

Don <><

attachment.php

I hate to admit to this....but Don is right......the thing I like about the 346 is its nimble enough that my wife can use it. But truth be told chainsaws can be a lot like deer rifles,a cheap one that goes bang will kill any deer that walks but a cabinet full of customs is a lot more fun!

Any running small to medium saw off your local craigslist. For brand new, you can get a new 50 cc poulan, model 5020av, to your door for two hundred dollars.

I run the snot out of poulans, old mag cased to newer cheapos..they all cut. tune them properly, they work fine. I get them free (got a 2150 yesterday for free) to ten dollars for the newer ones. Older mag cased I have paid a bit more 10-60 dollars. Usually all they need is new fuel lines and a carb cleaning. I have a *bunch* I have gotten back to fine working order that way, Meaning if joe homeowner can handle something that technically difficult (LOL) they are as dependable as anything else.

Now I wouldn't go out and play boy lumberjack with 50 inch diameter hardwoods with a 30 whatever cc saw of any make, but used reasonably, those are the most saw for the cash today, used or new, unless you really luck out and find some exemplary pro saw for cheap some place, as guys brag about here daily. That means you have to go out and scrounge good.

As always, some interesting (and some biased!) answers. Sift through them all & im sure you'll find some good info.

At the end of the day I think you need to ask yourself the following questions:

1) Whatcha gonna be cuttin' ? This is THE key. I would suggest, based on your initial comment in the thread, that a 50cc saw is probably your best bet. You're not taking on too much extra weight over a 35 or 40cc model and yet you will have the added flexibility of running a 16" bar comfortably in ANY wood - and even an 18 or 20" bar on occasion.

2) Pro or consumer. you say "homeowner" but many (most) of us are not professionals, even though we primarily all use pro saws. Why? They work better, they last better and they are more comfortable to use. That said, there have been some great developments in consumer grade saws recently and I cant imagine you'd be too upset with something like the 510 from Dolmar or the MS290 from Stihl.

3) Do you think you're likely to sell this saw? If so, you cant go wrong with the resale value of a stihl - any model.

Latest posts

Back