what is a dependable small chainsaw for homeowner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike f

Reaction score
In my youth I cleared land and removed trees for homeowners,and cut my own firewood to heat my home for many years.I had a STIHL 015-AV which I loved.Later I used bigger HUSKYS and STIHLS.Now those saws are too heavy for me and I need advice on what would be a reliable,less expensive chainsaw to use for limbing and storm damage,and to use to show my son some of the skills I had back then,and how to responsibly use the saw.I can afford to buy something thats not made to fall apart or require constant repair,but what saws are well made today?I just want to get my moneys worth.Any suggestions???

Stihl MS-170. Lightweight, runs fine for any smaller size work. If you're not dropping 24" round trees, you don't need a big saw. Remember most of the guys on here are pro's so they are going to recommend something that is way big and alot of overkill.. I mean, it's nice to drive a turbo Posche with 400 Horsepower, but a 4-cylinder Nissan Sentra still gets you to the grocery store and back just fine with 92 horse power...

Small ECHO saws are good quality.
Take proper care of them and they will last a lifetime.

I would buy from a dealer.

David

How light do you want to go?

My dad's little saw is a John Deere CS40LE with 14" bar (aka Cub Cadet CS3916 aka Efco MT4000). It is light and sips fuel and was dirt cheap 3 years ago. He has used it for everything up to ~14" diameter ever since he got it because his 70cc saw feels heavy these days.

If don't mind adding a couple lbs and a couple hundred dollars a Husqvarna 346xp with 16" bar is a better built saw.

If you don't mind adding a couple lbs and a couple hundred dollars an XYZ123 is an even better saw, etc, etc, etc.

Last edited:
i own a ms170 and have ran a 435. IMO, if I were you i would get the Husqvarna 435. A great little saw for sure. However, the ms170 would be a great choice too. The ms170 is hard to beat for the $$ involved.

there are several 346xp's for sale on the classifieds here from a very reputable seller,Im a stihl guy but purchased a 346 and have been nothing but impressed with this saw
FYI im not a pro just a firewood burning enthusiast

In my youth I cleared land and removed trees for homeowners,and cut my own firewood to heat my home for many years.I had a STIHL 015-AV which I loved.Later I used bigger HUSKYS and STIHLS.Now those saws are too heavy for me and I need advice on what would be a reliable,less expensive chainsaw to use for limbing and storm damage,and to use to show my son some of the skills I had back then,and how to responsibly use the saw.I can afford to buy something thats not made to fall apart or require constant repair,but what saws are well made today?I just want to get my moneys worth.Any suggestions???

Good on ya for wanting to pass the skills onto the kid!

I'm gonna buck the trend here, and say stay the heck away from the Box stores period.
Sticking with your intent of passing things on to the son, reliability, and quality.

Head to the nearest Stihl or Husqvarna shop and take the kid with you.

Stihl MS-211, MS-250, MS261. Take a look and handle all three.

Then head to the Husky dealer.
Grab a 435, and a 346.

Take mental notes concerning the dealer and thier set up, and which is the sort of place you would prefer to deal with and trust.

If you plan on passing the saw to the kid in 30 years, grab the 261 or 346.
If not, the others will all do you fine, and may very well hold up as long.
Either way, your boy will learn the other part of the equasion, and that is dealing with people who stand behind a product for a lifetime, instead of hanging it on a peg in a blister pack.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Good on ya for wanting to pass the skills onto the kid!

I'm gonna buck the trend here, and say stay the heck away from the Box stores period.
Sticking with your intent of passing things on to the son, reliability, and quality.

Head to the nearest Stihl or Husqvarna shop and take the kid with you.

Stihl MS-211, MS-250, MS261. Take a look and handle all three.

Then head to the Husky dealer.
Grab a 435, and a 346.

Take mental notes concerning the dealer and thier set up, and which is the sort of place you would prefer to deal with and trust.

If you plan on passing the saw to the kid in 30 years, grab the 261 or 346.
If not, the others will all do you fine, and may very well hold up as long.
Either way, your boy will learn the other part of the equasion, and that is dealing with people who stand behind a product for a lifetime, instead of hanging it on a peg in a blister pack.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Couldn't have said it any better than what Dingeryote just posted :)

i love my ms-250 i didnt go for the tooless chain adjustment thow. i went with the manual adjustment model. might just be me but im not highly impressed with any tool less adjustment systems. if you go real cheap poulans have served me and my father well over the years.

i also shy away from anything with those horrendous little primer bulbs if i can. my poulan is just old enought to not have one. and that was also one of the things in my decission to go with the stihl over a husky in the same size range.

MS250 Not too big, not too small and not overly expensive. I've had mine since '07 and have done nothing to it except change the spark plug and air filter. Never even touched the carb screws.

The best for you would be any top brand saw below 45CC. Why top brand? They are easier to start right off the shelf. A cheaper brand does fine after it's broke in, but that takes time and work.

I prefer STIHL, and because I do cut some small 8"-14" trees, I went with the MS211. That would be what I'd get to teach my son the ABC's of sawing, and it'll be ready to start right up and do all the limbing you want.
small-saws-only-picture205105.jpg

Lots of good saws to choose from out there, many already recommended here by other members. If you want a really well built saw without breaking the bank, and you have a Dolmar dealer not too far away, take a look at either the PS-420 or PS-421. Pro magnesium cases and will last you almost forever. If you need to save a few more bucks, there is also a 35cc version.

I think there's lots of good advice here already. I've not run Huskys but they seem to be as well thought of as Stihls, which I will comment on.

I would look at the homeowner line from Stihl, do a little research, then pick one. The reason I say that is that you do not seem to be constrained so much by the cost. I have an MS261, and it's probably not only more than you'll need, it may be even more than I need. Read some reviews and then go see a dealer so you can pick up a few of the models with features you like and see how much the weight bothers you. There are usually several saws made off the same basic design, so pick the weight you can handle and then buy the most power Stihl makes in that chassis.

My two cents' worth. Have fun.

Stihl MS-170. Lightweight, runs fine for any smaller size work. If you're not dropping 24" round trees, you don't need a big saw. Remember most of the guys on here are pro's so they are going to recommend something that is way big and alot of overkill.. I mean, it's nice to drive a turbo Posche with 400 Horsepower, but a 4-cylinder Nissan Sentra still gets you to the grocery store and back just fine with 92 horse power...

lol and true

but for a few more bucks you can smoke that Sentra with a Civic SI.

I have a ms250 and a 346xp. The difference is Mr. Rogers to Jason from Halloween. Not sure if you want to share Jason with your son but you will enjoy the next storm clean up a whole lot more.

One of the best answers I have seen in the "Which saw is best threads" basically says this..... All the top brands are good, pick the one that has a dealer that is closest to you and you feel most comfortable with for service and warranty work , period.. All the major brands will serve you well....:blob2:

Get a used or new husqvarna 346, It will do everything you need it to, Its very reliable, Its light and its built to last

Back