What is a Efco?A Tanaka?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
I was visting over on the chainsaw forums, where it was mentioned that Husky now forbids any of their dealers from selling their chainsaws online, you have to sell them now through your brick and mortar store. I got to wondering what Northern tools did with all their saws once they couldnt sell them online. Send them back? Put them in their store?
Visited the Johnson City store last night, asked the man behind the counter.
Nope, no homeless Husky 3120 for sale, but hey, we have some great Efco's, and maybe a Tanaka on the side.
What? Where did these things come from? I understand that the Efco's are Italian made, but the Tanaka's look like more of the homeowner junk you find at wally world.
I call to my local saw shop (that I avoid like the plague) this morning yielded the same question. What is going on? Does anyone, including NT, think that we need more junk? We got enough already! I have enough junk laying around without buying a disposable chainsaw.
What, run out of gas?throw it away and buy a new one. In fact, buy two that way you can saw most of the morning.:censored: :censored: :censored:
Forget about parts for these things, at least in my area they dont exist.

No way Ave,

I've never run a Tanaka chainsaw (think they only make small ones), but their 2 stroke motors (used on scooters and those skateboard things with handles) are great. They also make some cool little trolling motors for canoes\boats.

I happen to have a Tanaka brushcutter and string trimmer and they are top of the line. Comparable with Shindaiwa's, Stihl's or any other and they ain't cheap either. They are priced in that same range as those others. Solid steel shafts, low vibes and again super running motors. Anybody in the Lawn Maint or landscaping bizz knows of them. :clap:

Well, I am relieved then. One thing that I would hate to see is NT going the way of Harbor Freight! Now, I know that NT probably carries some junk stuff, but for the most part I have always had a lot of confidence on what I was buying from NT was going to be a good tool.
Our local repair shops never heard of em, but that doesnt mean a whole lot. I dont think they ever heard of......
Oh wait a minute.....they never heard of a raker gauge. No, I am not kidding.
Went in there a month or so back and asked for one, dropped mine in a big snag out in the woods, and knew that it will take me weeks to cut down to the ground level to retrieve it.
They all looked puzzled, and asked me what is a raker gauge.
"you know, what you use to set the raker level on a chainsaw chain."

"oh, we just use a flat bar and a whatchamacallit"
you mean a feeler gauge?
yeah, thats what we use.
Well, glad to see that NT has replaced their husky line with something compatible, but I like I said before it is out of the question for me, no parts available around here.

No way Ave,

I've never run a Tanaka chainsaw (think they only make small ones), but their 2 stroke motors (used on scooters and those skateboard things with handles) are great. They also make some cool little trolling motors for canoes\boats.

I happen to have a Tanaka brushcutter and string trimmer and they are top of the line. Comparable with Shindaiwa's, Stihl's or any other and they ain't cheap either. They are priced in that same range as those others. Solid steel shafts, low vibes and again super running motors. Anybody in the Lawn Maint or landscaping bizz knows of them. :clap:

Tanaka products are first rate. The push edgers (two stoke) are easily the best; shaft driven and lightweight.

However, their distribution is far worse than even Dolmar. But, if you can do it yourself, ordering from their website is easy.

Oh wait a minute.....they never heard of a raker gauge. No, I am not kidding.
Went in there a month or so back and asked for one, dropped mine in a big snag out in the woods, and knew that it will take me weeks to cut down to the ground level to retrieve it.
They all looked puzzled, and asked me what is a raker gauge.
"you know, what you use to set the raker level on a chainsaw chain."

"oh, we just use a flat bar and a whatchamacallit.

Ha,ha,ha. yep It's really amazing sometimes when I step up too the counter and ask for a specific chain type. My guys are fair, but it's usually a blank stare, then over too the 100' chain spools and a here's what we got, pick one and we'll make it up. This is a full service Stihl and Huskie dealer. :greenchainsaw:

Efco's are good machines also. I don't know what models NT carries but I'm told that the 62 cc and 81cc are solid well built saws. I hear some of the smaller ones are a little underpowered but still good saws.

Efco used to be sold under the name of Olympic. They were sued by the Olympic comittee and ordered to change there name. I have a Oly 264 and 945. Very well built saws. A little slow by todays standard but very torcquey.

I hear that Efco string trimmers are top of the line.

Tanaka Saws

No way Ave,

Hi,
We also have a 43 cc and 50 cc saw as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4SDk7caUw4

-MW

Back