What is a good first saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My suggestion would be a 346XP NE/2153 18" bar & chain in .325, very user friendly, light weight, not overly powerful and easily will fit into that price range. Since you are looking for quality, value, and reliability I would stay with Husqvarna/Jonsered or Stihl. Some catastrophic bearing failures with new Dolmars have got me steering clear of that brand until I hear otherwise. If you want something with a little more grunt, more weight, and the ability to run a 24" bar look at a 359/2165, excellent saw for the money and highly upgradable with some mods.

Scott

i am going to pick up a 6401 or two tomorrow, can you show me some thread about the bearing failure you mention?

Since I am a noob, I don't know what saw to buy as a first saw. Several brands are well represented in my province, Dolmar, Husqvarna, Stihl and Jonsered all have several dealers within driving distance. I am looking to spend in the 500-600$ range, would like a saw that is easily serviceable with high durability, figure on about 6 cords/year.

Suggestions would be great, thanks in advance,

I have the 346xp non epa and its well worth every penny
my 034 is great also and the 10 year old craftsman still cuts like it wants too!
Its how you treat the saw that counts not the color or name!!!
:cheers:

I don't have a 361 (closest thing I have is a 360 Pro), but I'll recommend it as well if you're looking at new saws. Good power, light weight, and from what I hear in my neck of the woods, reliable as well.

Get a MS 361 and don't look back. Its a great saw. It blows the doors off my buddies 455 Rancher and my Dad's MS 290. The initial cost is a little more, but well worth it IMHO.

A nice Homelite SXL-auto can be had for a song, and has plenty of balls to cut all but the biggest trees. It was my first saw......

I was started out at age 12 with an old blue XL12, whatever is in that size range should be fine.

:agree2: yeah buddy! i learned on an xl-12. those old homelites got nuts and are hard to kill. does it have to be a new saw? how 'bout a used MS440 or 044 or something like that? 440/044 is a good one saw plan and it's not too big to learn how to cut with is it?

Since I am a noob, I don't know what saw to buy as a first saw. Several brands are well represented in my province, Dolmar, Husqvarna, Stihl and Jonsered all have several dealers within driving distance. I am looking to spend in the 500-600$ range, would like a saw that is easily serviceable with high durability, figure on about 6 cords/year.

Suggestions would be great, thanks in advance,

I guess it would all depend on the length of guide bar you need. If a small bar works for ya(20" or less), I'd look at the small pro saws, like the 260 stihl or 346xp husky...

Back