what is a good mod. saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS-310

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Very new in messing around with saws. I've just got a outdoor wood stove and been cutting with my MS-310 its a very nice running saw (love it).
But I have some friends that have a, I think a 7301 0r a 7901 makita. It has some mod work done to it. I just want to have a alsome mod. saw. around like $0-$400 new (+ the mod work) that will have a lot of kick "butt" fast sawing. Thank you.

I do not think that there are any under-$400 saws that are worth doing any meaningful mod work to, assuming that by modified you mean more than just drilling some holes in the muffler. Most (all?) under-$400 saws are not pro-grade, and for the time and effort of putting money into modifying them you could simply buy a new pro-grade saw that would likely perform as well or better anyway.

Possible exceptions would include Husky's 359, Dolmar's 5100.

The 7900 is pretty awsome in stock form and even better with the muffler opened up. I see Bailey's still has some of the Makita power heads left at $599. On the other hand, you could go with a smaller saw; get the 5100 from Tony M., and have ehp or someone else modify it for $200. Either way, I bet you and your friends would be impressed.

what are some good web sites for the "ehp" or some places to mod it up. I really thank you guys for helping me. thanks

EHP has his own forum here, ask him about the mods, and he'll probably tell ya a bit about how to get it done.

I was unaware that customizing chainsaws was popular at all until i saw this post. Whats the are the most popular mods? Wouldn't drilling a hole in the muffler make the saw unbearably loud?

Yea i messed around with a pro mac 6 and "cleaned the muffler out" it was pretty nosie but it sure could cut for how small it was. I think this is so cool and I would like to learn more on mod. work.
Is my ms-310 worth mod work.
??? how long will it last with mod work done???

Sounds like noise is definatly an issue! Maybe i'll just jump to a big time mod. How hard would it be to install a corvette engine in my ms180?

I've been looking at a solid fuel...
In moderation...
turbine with worm gears...

Instructions for solid fuel pellet saw.
1) start gasoline engine until you hear the turbine fire.
2) squeeze trigger to dispense solid fuel pellet
3) lean forward to cut any log.

computeruser said:
I do not think that there are any under-$400 saws that are worth doing any meaningful mod work to, assuming that by modified you mean more than just drilling some holes in the muffler. Most (all?) under-$400 saws are not pro-grade, and for the time and effort of putting money into modifying them you could simply buy a new pro-grade saw that would likely perform as well or better anyway.

Possible exceptions would include Husky's 359, Dolmar's 5100.

The Husky 346 can still be had for under $400!

Yeah, I figure it would take that much electrical power transferred at once for the spark. I replaced a sparkplug with a cap in this fictitious saw engine. Tho 1 farad was once considered a hypothetical value.

Also have plans that run off of the static discharge of an angry wife.

Microfarad would be the Poulan version. Light enough but you have this odd feeling you are forgetting something.

Static Wifey saw goes from 0 - b!tch in 2milliseconds, no user settings. Comes with wifey recharge kit; Life-size picture of Adrianne Barbeux, digital cat-call maker and protective cup.

Latest posts

Back