What is a good, smaller saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkesler

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all. Newbie here with a question. For background, I cut wood for our family to burn and whatever I have to clear on the 3 acres we own. I currently use a Homelite C5 which is as old as I am, which although it runs and cuts like a champ, it also weighs almost as much as I do. Parts are scarce for it as well, so I am considering buying a newer, smaller saw to handle smaller wood and save the wear and tear on the bigger saw for when I need it.

Question: What to buy? I own several other pieces of Stihl equipment, and have been more than pleased with my experiences with their stuff. I may not be cutting 10 cords per year, but I like equipment that works everytime without problem.

Welcome to our world.

Now, depending on how much power you want, you have a choice between MANY MANY saws. large, small, you name it pretty much. theres ALL kinds of saws, if you tell us the general size, type, and amount of wood you cut yearly, the guys here can help you decide what to buy.

Welcome to the site. Stihl MS 250, 260, 270, 280 depending on your taste and wallet are all good candidates. If power to weight ratio are important then the 260 and 280 are the best IMO. :)

Or if you care to stay low and build a Homie collection, you could add some power 1500 rpm and loose 3 pounds with a different power head (xl923 924 925 or VI944 VI955) and probably more with the thinner kerf 3/8.

Heck an XL12 would drop over 5 lbs power head alone. (12lb 9oz) but you don't gain anything but your back not hurting.

From listening to the guys that know - it's almost time to ask what local support you have?

What's up with this MS stuff for Stihl nomenclature?
Magnesium Send-off? I wish I could be collecting them instead. But... it's a character builder. I still get "rare" (obsolete) and "vintage" parts cheaper. :dizzy:

The above mentioned saws are entirely satisfactory.Are you mechanically inclined?Is dealer support an issue? If you are than mail order for Husky can be done,also Dolmar.If you have had good luck with Stihl than go for it ,after running a old Homey you will be pleasantly suprised.Dont forget PPE.

I went thru this 6 months ago on this board. I was advised to get a 50cc saw. I did not want that big of a saw. But I took good advice. I bought a name brand 50cc saw. Best move I ever made. Do not go too small regardlees of what you think your future needs will be. So sooner or later your 35cc saw will not be up to snuff. Also,in the 50cc range quality,longevity,ease of cutting, is well worth the extra 2 pounds of weight. You will not notice it in a quality name brand saw. As I said I was in the same position you are some months ago. Buy a quality 50cc saw,you will never regret it.

Maybe Mechanzie Sawhiester?

I love German machined tools. When I was stationed in Germany (briefly) I took what words I could remember and made my own stuff up. Actually the one guy was fluent and we would visit a gasthous and after a few beers (and they make beer like their machinery) he would announce to our table that he had taught me some German...
"Nix verstain yeagherschnitzel" (I don't understand pork and mushrooms) I would declare with enthusiasm and the whole place would pause... and then erupt with laughter. You had to be there I'm willing to bet. Of course there's always that fear that the pause never ends.

But we got to talk to their soldiers and tip a few. You either have to join the service or go to college. The clock is ticking, when you're 18 you better know.

Last edited:
Compared to most folks here, I don't cut any wood. Right now I have 8 or 9 trees waiting on me, mix of oak, locust and some kind of trash trees, none of which are bigger than 2 ft. in diameter. That plus whatever pine falls over would be about what I cut annually, which I know is not a lot, but that will most likely increase as we are using wood for heating more and more. Want something lighter and smaller than the C5, but don't want "mart mart" junk. Went down that road with weedeaters and trimmers, which is how I ended up with the Stihl yard equipment.

To address some of the questions, there is good local support and dealers for just about any of the saws listed. Stihl and Husky dealers are about 1 mile from home. I have a "big" saw already, which will readily cut down and slice up any tree that I would attempt (I heard once that a man has got to know his limitations, and I know mine. I won't be wading into battle with any 4 ft. thick oaks anytime soon, which makes the C5 plenty big.). Saw man (repairman, not salesman) says it would take a 7 or 8 hundred dollar saw to replace the C5 and parts for it are not readily available, so I need to maximize it's lifetime and not use it up on 6 inch stuff, which is probably most of what I cut. I had looked at the Stihl 260 on their website, and that looks to be about the size for what I have in mind. I do appreciate the feedback, and if my logic is out of whack let me know.

from what you have described I think even a home owner saw would last the expected 15-20 year life span of a saw. You have a bigger saw so I say go with a minimum of a 40cc saw and up to a 55cc saw you have a lot of choices the huskered 340,345, and 350. Stihl has the 250, 270 and 280. Dolmar and some of the smaller companies have some competitive models, Just do some shopping. There are also the pro models in this size range but I don't think you will need it. Let us know how you make out

Lucky

since you are already used to handling a larger saw. a MS460 would be nothing. but would be covering same duties.

I'd go with a MS260 for small end, but for two feet diameter trees. you need a little more. that sure sounds like 361 territory. 034 super, 036 and MS360 are all simular size.

but since getting 046, almost never touched my 034 super. so I sold it off. ended up with 026 for handle duties and 046/460 for everything else.

I've used an Stihl 026 for the last 6 -7 years which, I believe, is the same as its replacement from Stihl, the MS 260. Its a lightweight saw, about 10 lbs for the powerhead and came with a 16 inch bar.

I just recently bought the Stihl MS 361 which is a bigger saw to supplement my 026, but plenty big for what I cut in the Southwest.

Latest posts

Back