What is Horsepower?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...and watch 1 1/4" copper cables jump about 2 feet off the ground the first time you spin them is a sight to see.

Dizamn...I kinda would like to see that!

I remember once being on a commercial aircraft, coulda been a 737...I can't remember, and they couldn't get the engines cranked.

So we had to sit there just off the jetway, roasting, while they brought the auxilliary unit over. And much to my surprise, the thing worked on air. (Insert suck-start comments here)

They just piped a big ol' hose up to the engines, one at a time, blew 'em up to speed, then bang...ignition. Kinda cool.

I'd love to know the CFM and velocity requirements to start a Pratt & Whitney.

Last edited:
Dizamn...I kinda would like to see that!

I remember once being on a commercial aircraft, coulda been a 737...I can't remember, and they couldn't get the engines cranked.

So we had to sit there just off the jetway, roasting, while they brought the auxilliary unit over. And much to my surprise, the thing worked on air. (Insert suck-start comments here)

They just piped a big ol' hose up to the engines, one at a time, blew 'em up to speed, then bang...ignition. Kinda cool.

I'd love to know the CFM and velocity requirements to start a Pratt & Whitney.

Air to air is the way to go, every time a medium is exchanging TQ, there is a little lost.

There is an "Air" air start procedure, I never seen it first hand, the classic would have been a 747 Delta flying to Anchorage , as it passed a plume of ash from MT ST Helen's, 4 engines blinking red lights at you. the ash choked the engines! In a steep dive it is passable to re-start engines, as this flight did. It is my thought that there is an engineering formula somewhere that would prove that 4 engines out, on a 4 engine AC , means that your going to be stuck up there forever?

Cross-bleed air tubes are not very thick walled, but fairly huge , IOW a lower pressure, but higher flow, getting the CFM from a higher amperage or TQ , so to speak, then a higher voltage or RPM .as a prespective.

Last edited:
Ohh Please,,,,,,,

Stihl the best CS dyno is log and a stop watch, we can determine Best "H" setting, Best chain or chain angles, best DG setting, Best cutting technique, Best fuel or octane rating, Best mods, muffler , port or ignition timing changes and we don't need a engineer to argue the results with.

Lets let the Engineers argue more results!!!!!:popcorn: :fart: :p :sword:

If you have an engineer friend, take him to the nicest mammary bar, and
see what happens.
Most cannot drink, but all of them have not totally phased out their
testosterone, some implode somewhere near the runway, others will break
out their pocket calculator. Every now and then. one of them gets laid,
that is why they still are here to haunt this forum and the real men that
post here, as there progeny is quite verbose and cocky................

see what happens.

Was wondering if they reproduced, or freaks of nature?

Just raises more questions however, do they have a formula for that, or do some of them just remember what did't work last time?

I had a nickname for one , FAP, a real cocky type, and generally wrong, nephew of the owner I think. This one was running out of people to work with him on his scattered ideas, and could not remember what didn't work the last time. He was always quick to rattle off engineering formulas, like Pie R squared, if a new guy had a pipe in a band-saw, or other off the wall gibberish.

The day he got his nickname, he screwed up a pump size on a hydraulic system, nothing was working, everything was slow. But to save the day he went out to swap a couple hydraulic lines, but couldn't't get a line to fit and started a street L into a fitting and twisted a line into it. FAP had a nug start the system up and it broke the bottom thread out of his street L and drenched him in fluid! Down to his socks, well not sad to admit that rattling off his hydraulic formula sort of stuck, a true Kodiak moment!

Pie arn't squared, cornbread R squared, pie r round!

see what happens.

:ices_rofl:

Hey!!!!! I once resembled that remark! (then I smartened up a pretended I was a sales guy) :biggrinbounce2:

Engine torque as specified in car magazines only tells you what the characteristics of the engine look like. What the power vs. rpm looks like. It has nothing to do with the ability to accelerate fast or reaching high top speed.
That's a big negatory on that, good buddy. Newton said F = ma, so a = F/m. The mass of a vehicle is very nearly constant, so to increase the acceleration, we need to increase the force applied to the road by the tires. To find that force, you divide the torque (force x distance) at the axle by the radius of the tire. Divide the axle torque by the rear gear ratio and the trans gear ratio, and you have flywheel torque. :D

Thanks Sergi,,,,

What he said he said, *passes RR mug o' SSI Dark Ale*
:D
:cheers:

You know I have a weakness for a good stout dark Brewsky,,,,Ehhhh? :givebeer:

attachment.php

I dont care for bud really!!!!

It just goes back to which bassis the power is rated at,Rex.In days of old,the HP rating of the old steamers was actually based on how much a horse could pull.

If for example and old Case steam engine was rated at a lowely 40 HP,it could pull as much as 40 horses.Of course they never gave the horse sizes,Could be 40 Shetland ponies or 40 Clydsdales,with or without the Budwieser girls.

But lets keep tha girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

I can say it again.

This is the LAST time I will try to explain it ok?

Power = Torque * angular velocity (since we are talking a rotating movements)

Now we have the famous formula:

M1*v1 = M2*v2 (that’s in a perfect world where you don’t have any mechanical losses on the way but that doesn’t matter here.)

Now let’s take the car example again:
M1 = torque on the engine’s crank shaft
V1 = speed of engines crank shaft
M2= torque on the rear wheels (where you want it! This torque will cause the acceleration)
V2= speed of rear wheels.

Since we are interested in M2 we have:

M2 = M1 * v1/v2 now use eq.1…… M1*v1 is ….. P! Engine power. Engine hp!

Hence M2 = P / v2

So where did the engine torque go? We lost is somewhere in the transmission!
Now what happens as the speed increases? The wheels will turn faster right?
V2 will increase. In order to continue the acceleration we need to keep our M2. So what do we need? More P, more hp.

So the fundamentals of all this is: The ability to cut more chips from a log or drive faster with a car is directly dependent on the power, raw kW.
(prefer kW over hp since hp is not unambiguous, depends for example on where on earth you live because of different g-constants)

A 600hp with 500Nm of torque will pull a heavy truck up the hill just as fast as the 600hp 2500Nm truck diesel engine. Engine torque as specified in car magazines only tells you what the characteristics of the engine look like. What the power vs. rpm looks like. It has nothing to do with the ability to accelerate fast or reaching high top speed.

Disclaimer: I've rented alot of beer tonight, RiverRat and Lakeside will be very pleased to know that it was microbrew. I can't remember what label. They were in brown bottles, so that narrows it down!:ices_rofl: Anyway, I've been working on returning it though there may still be some lingering effect. If I appear to be obnoxious, it's the beer. Be glad I don't drink whiskey much anymore. :popcorn:

This thread has gone, what... 13 pages? There've been lot's of opinions floating around Peter, your's included. I'm happy to see we've arrived at equations finally! I dig it! :) :)

Ok Pete, can I call you Pete?, Good! What happened to the torque? Someone stole it and doesn't want to give it back? Naw, it's there, always has been. From your last equation Pete:

Hence M2 = P / v2

Where M2=Torque at the rear wheels
P=Power in horseypower
and V2=Speed of the rear wheels

and we'll also use this from your post. Especially the part I highlighted (of course you emphasized it with exclamation points, like you wanted me to see it. Thanks, I will use it!).
M2 = M1 * v1/v2 now use eq.1…… M1*v1 is ….. P! Engine power. Engine hp!
Something I will tell you right off the bat Pete. When you're juggling equations, sometimes it's a good idea to factor your answer into simpler units. It gives you a different perspective. So let me give you a different perspective. :D
Wait, I have to return a beer. :clap:
Much better!
Now good ol fuzzle was kind enough to put up this picture for us.
attachment.php

Remember that picture? I have a feeling you never looked at it or didn't comprehend it.

Soooooooooooo, (those o's look so cool all lined up! How do they do that?) if we know Power=(torque/time) and we look at your equation
Hence M2 = P / v2
LOOK, there's a P in your equation that you say is
P! Engine power. Engine hp!
Now this makes it really easy!

We take your equation Pete, and we substitute (torque/time) for P or power or horseypower or whatever you're calling it this week... which yields:

M2 = (torque/time)/ v2

I think we found the long lost torque Pete!!! It's as real as real can be! Have a beer for yourself and good job!!!!

edit: Pete, I had to add this just because it was mentioned so long ago. The answer was there for you if you had read it.
Or horsepower = (torque/time)

So Peter, everywhere that you have mentioned horsepower, we can substitute the term (torque/time)

Last edited:
+214.8765466343432555 (had a couple or so myself).

If you can't remember the name, it was a good beer... heck, are there any bad micro beers around here???

In any case, I feel totally inadequate., I just moved 33,000lb of gravel about a foot ot so, and it took me three frigging days!

Last edited:

If you can't remember the name, it was a good beer... heck, are there any bad micro beers around here???

In any case, I feel totally inadequate., I just moved 33,000lb of gravel about a foot ot so, and it took me three frigging days!

Yeah I found one tonight. It was Dead Man ale or something like that. Made in Oregon I think. Really bitter. I had to cleanse my mouth with Bud Light just to get rid of the taste.

Oh No,,,,, Andy,,,,,

You must have lost your torque too!!!!!!!:bang: :bang: :bang:

Back