WHAT is it about chainsaws-?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy in Wilton

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
About 3 weeks ago I bought a "muscle saw" on eBay after destroying two cheap $125 chainsaws from Lowes and Home Depot. I was confused and discouraged; They both basically burned up after small short use. I've since learned upon this website that these cheap Poulan and Homelite saws are basically disposable saws from Taiwan.

I've flown 747's over Taiwan, and was amazed; The haze was so bad each time that I couldn't see the ground. That haze was actually pollution. Taiwan today mimics Detroit in 1970: The sky is a different shade of orange every evening!

-For what ever reason, I feel the need to own a saw. I live in a house in Fort Lauderdale with 7 coconut palms, 2 queen palms, a palmetto, and a loquat. My partner owns 39 rental properties, so there are plenty more species of tree that I could come in contact with, including the nefarious "cats claw".

I figured I needed something better, and I was NOT impressed by the Stihl chainsaws that I saw at the big box stores. I own an older Porsche 928S2, which I use as a daily driver. This car amazes me! It is 27 years old, it has 154,000 miles, and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it the 3000 miles to Los Angeles tonight if I had to, since I'm sure it would make it. It is my baby, I work on it every night, and the minute something goes wrong, since I have such a strong knowledge [factory shop manuals from Germany are on a shelf in my garage: I paid $400 for these books 10 years ago] of the car...I fix it my self. I instantly know what is wrong, I never take it to the shop...and basically; There is so much of my blood from my cut knuckles soaked into the metal of that car that is probably now a blood relative!

Need not say, but yours truly is a CAR GUY.

And yet, the notion of finding a BETTER older saw, kind of like my 928S2...instantly came to mind and I started searching. I don't want the biggest saw in the world [I'm dealing with...palmettos!] I want the saw that kicks ass and takes names, but is easy to use and is something that you could lend your mother. The Porsche 928 and the McCulloch 250 for some reason to fit this bill. That 928 in my garage brought home a clothes dryer in its yawning hatchback last fall, when I found one on the cheap at a thrift store, and the only way that I could have gotten it is if I had taken it RIGHT THEN. One of my tenants had called and we had a dead dryer. I solved the problem on the cheap and probably saved $150 because my 928 was so versatile, and I suspect that the new saw [when I get it running; It has a carb adjustment problem] gets worked out, then it will work for me at our various rental properties, and just like me driving the 928 to Publix to pick up a couple of onions...the McCulloch 250 knocking down a traveller palm at one of my properties will see little but deliberate use!

My point: For some reason, some people like odd chainsaws. For the same reason, some people like odd old Porsche cars.

Go figure!

Thoughts-

T

About 3 weeks ago I bought a "muscle saw" on eBay after destroying two cheap $125 chainsaws from Lowes and Home Depot. I was confused and discouraged; They both basically burned up after small short use. I've since learned upon this website that these cheap Poulan and Homelite saws are basically disposable saws from Taiwan.

I've flown 747's over Taiwan, and was amazed; The haze was so bad each time that I couldn't see the ground. That haze was actually pollution. Taiwan today mimics Detroit in 1970: The sky is a different shade of orange every evening!

-For what ever reason, I feel the need to own a saw. I live in a house in Fort Lauderdale with 7 coconut palms, 2 queen palms, a palmetto, and a loquat. My partner owns 39 rental properties, so there are plenty more species of tree that I could come in contact with, including the nefarious "cats claw".

I figured I needed something better, and I was NOT impressed by the Stihl chainsaws that I saw at the big box stores. I own an older Porsche 928S2, which I use as a daily driver. This car amazes me! It is 27 years old, it has 154,000 miles, and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it the 3000 miles to Los Angeles tonight if I had to, since I'm sure it would make it. It is my baby, I work on it every night, and the minute something goes wrong, since I have such a strong knowledge [factory shop manuals from Germany are on a shelf in my garage: I paid $400 for these books 10 years ago] of the car...I fix it my self. I instantly know what is wrong, I never take it to the shop...and basically; There is so much of my blood from my cut knuckles soaked into the metal of that car that is probably now a blood relative!

Need not say, but yours truly is a CAR GUY.
And yet, the notion of finding a BETTER older saw, kind of like my 928S2...instantly came to mind and I started searching. I don't want the biggest saw in the world [I'm dealing with...palmettos!] I want the saw that kicks ass and takes names, but is easy to use and is something that you could lend your mother. The Porsche 928 and the McCulloch 250 for some reason to fit this bill. That 928 in my garage brought home a clothes dryer in its yawning hatchback last fall, when I found one on the cheap at a thrift store, and the only way that I could have gotten it is if I had taken it RIGHT THEN. One of my tenants had called and we had a dead dryer. I solved the problem on the cheap and probably saved $150 because my 928 was so versatile, and I suspect that the new saw [when I get it running; It has a carb adjustment problem] gets worked out, then it will work for me at our various rental properties, and just like me driving the 928 to Publix to pick up a couple of onions...the McCulloch 250 knocking down a traveller palm at one of my properties will see little but deliberate use!

My point: For some reason, some people like odd chainsaws. For the same reason, some people like odd old Porsche cars.

Go figure!

Thoughts-

T
Well, prepare to have alot more. Nothing you can do to prevent it at this point.

Last edited:
There is definitely a "cool" factor with any older machine. I've got an old Pioneer 1200A chainsaw. And although not into old Porshes, I've had a few different old snowmobiles. First one was a '73 John Deere JDX4, second was a '76 John Deere Cyclone 440, and current one is a 1979 Kawasaki Intruder 440.

Its just begun for the OP. Now you will need to cut trees down to clear space for a shed dedicated to holding a chainsaw collection.:msp_tongue:

About 3 weeks ago I bought a "muscle saw" on eBay after destroying two cheap $125 chainsaws from Lowes and Home Depot.

i gotta ask, how did you destroy those saws ? Perhaps you would destroy "any" saw.

If you had two different saws pack in on you, you may want to study up on the site some because it is likely there is some operator error involved. Any saw can be torn up if not operated properly. The older Mac can probably take more abuse but if you drive your Porsche without oil in the crankcase the engine will go bad just as sure as a Yugo or Hummer would. So just because you have some "old iron" don't make the mistake that it is bullet proof.

As intense as you are about your car, I am sure you can become proficient in everything chainsaw related. It just takes some time to understand the differences in two stroke technology. The two things that typically kill chainsaws are failure to use the correct gas/oil mix (ratio, age, type of oil) and running the saw with too lean of a fuel/air mixture. Both of these will lead to piston scuffing/scoring and depending on the severity can even seize the engine. So "carb tuning" will be the area you want to familiarize yourself with first and of course make sure you use an appropriate fuel mix. There is a lot of "discussion" regarding fuel/oil mix and most people are right. ie, lots of opinions but all will work (almost all).

Good luck on your new toys. (it will soon be plural if not already, lol)

There is definitely a "cool" factor with any older machine. I've got an old Pioneer 1200A chainsaw. I've had a few different old snowmobiles. First one was a '73 John Deere JDX4, second was a '76 John Deere Cyclone 440, and current one is a 1979 Kawasaki Intruder 440.

Same here. I have a Jonsered 36 (no a/v, no brake, no baffle/spark arrester), a '94 Polaris quad 4x4 2-stroke. I do own a new 435 Husky, but more from necessity than desire. I've owned a few old sleds myself, first one was a J-D 295 with a 340 Moto-Ski engine, which I converted to a Mikuni carb; then a Polaris TX-440 1981 which didn't last, then a TX-340 1979 which ran way better when clutched and carbed to '76 Starfire specs (turning 10,500 rpm); then on to a TX-L 340 with straight K&N Filters and 2 pipes from a set of 650 Indy triples. That sled turned 8500 rpm and would lift the skis from 60 mph on demand ! Even though the new sleds have more power and work better (subject to opinion of course) I just can't get myself away from the old school machines. I really need an old Alpine doubletrack, my wife's uncle has one collecting dust in his back yard, might commendeer it this fall...

Anyway, don't ever excuse yourself for liking old stuff, I never will. It defines you. It's what makes you who you are, and others can appreciate that. The rest, who cares !

I got hung up on your destroyed saws. I have one I've been trying to destroy, but it is one lucky saw. Tihs old 1997 saw is still kicking high, and it's a cheap saw.
attachment.php

Classic saw Sage, if I squint it reminds me of a fine german roadster... Russ

You're not destroying it because your bar is upside down. We all know that makes it run backwards and is giving it life not hurting it.

I've since learned upon this website that these cheap Poulan and Homelite saws are basically disposable saws from Taiwan.
That is incorrect for the Poulan, I don't know anything about the Homelites. The Poulans was made in the USA - some folks dispose of them fast, some of us use them for many many years. The difference is not the saw.

After 12 years my 1999 42cc Poulan got a scored piston due to poor fuel mix (my fault), but still ran pretty well. The one I put together from parts of that saw and a 1998 saw I got on eBay is running great.

Last edited:
Just curious what big box store you saw the Stihls in. Russ

Stihl does not allow there products to be sold in big box stores.

Might depend on the OP's definition of 'big box store'. I see STIHL saws sold in larger format, multi-location stores, including 'farm and fleet' type stores, contractor tool outlets, and hardware stores the size of an big city supermarket. I don't know the details of the STIHL dealer agreement, but somehow these guys must meet them.

That said, a lot of guys keep their Craftsman, Poulan, and homeowner Husqvarna saws going for a lot of years with a little bit of care. Surprised that a Porsche gearhead would not be attracted to a German engineered saw. First time I worked on an MS250 I was struck by the engineering detail, even though this was an 'occasional use' saw.

Not sure that I would give my mother an old iron type saw to use . Probably more likely to think of a modern electric saw or the 40 volt cordless one.

Philbert

Just curious what big box store you saw the Stihls in. Russ

Fairly close to me there are a few Ace Hardware stores and they have a decent selection of Stihl products. These are hardware stores the way I remember them growing up....you can basically find just about anything in there and there's always someone greeting you at the door, eager to help. Matter of fact, I was surprised to see the 192T alongside the 200T there yesterday since they are more "specialized" saws.

What is it about chainsaws? Probably the gearhead in all of us feeds the desire, alongside with what brings home the paycheck. The fact you are holding onto this small motorcycle engine with a cutting chain strapped to it turning wicked RPM's...and the fact you can modify it's tune or power range with some ingenuity...how cool is that?

When I first started with saws using a mini-mac or what ever that thing was, it just cut wood when I needed it, but later after messing with car engines, there was a different understanding for the chainsaw and while I don't use one to put food on the table, there is just something about them.

I get my hands dirty on all my vehicles as well, and I do what I can to fix them myself, growing up I was a big fan of the 928S4 though...:cool2:

The cheap saws like was stated earlier still run, so speculating it could have been user error....how did they "burn up"? Depending on what size gas can you use it's easy to get the mix wrong if you are used to filling up one can not realizing it may hold more than 1 gallon, most small cans are 1 gal but anything is possible.

There's no "1 saw plan" here BTW.....:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
The L&M Fleet Store near our northern Minnesota lake cabin is a really big store, and has Stihl, Husqvarna and Jonsered chainsaw lines. Same deal at quite a few of the Fleet stores up here.

Sort of back to the OPs post- If someone, (even a mechanically inclined someone), has burned up two saws, (even cheap saws), in a short period of time, we need to be having a look at how these saws are being run, how their chains have been adjusted, what's going into the tanks.

A friend of mine who's had Stihls for many years bought a new 362 one day last Fall while I happened to be at the dealership, took it home and immediately smoked a bar and chain because he never thought to open the bar oil tank and look. The saw had been gassed by the dealer. Why it had not had oil added, I don't know. I expect that assumptions were made by both parties.

From a safety perspective, I would also submit that for someone who is somewhat new to chainsaw use, a 'muscle saw' is perhaps not an ideal choice at the beginning. Chainsaws are very controllable and entertaining to use, right up until the instant that they're uncontrollable and dangerous.

My heartfelt advice to the OP would be to befriend someone with knowledge of chainsaws and their use, perhaps try out some different saws in a semi-instructional setting, and proceed to the purchase of a new(er) saw and some PPE. There's a ton of info here on AS about saw selection and safety, if there's nobody local.

Vintage saws are wonderful, I've got a few myself, but chainbrakes are awesome, too.

Back