What is it with firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "gathering" part of "Hunting and gathering"?

cave-MAN.jpg

The "gathering" part of "Hunting and gathering"?

cave-MAN.jpg

I really don't think you're too far off. Before I had access to a woodlot, I always felt like I was on the hunt for my decidious quarry.

I think if I lived in the 1920s or beforehand, I'd consider firewooding more of a chore. But with all of the equipment to make things easy - and knowing that a backup oil furnace would prevent us from freezing - woodheat is as much a pasttime as it is an economic strategy.

That, and the world seems to becoming more abstract and further removed from authentic experiences. I remember being at a musuem where there were reproduction butter churns to give kids a sense of what buttermaking was like. Same deal with wool carding, rug hooking, and a variety of other chores that were essential to our forebears keeping fed, clothed, etc.

Having an up close relationship with what heats my home and cooks my food is an antidote to the alienation inherent in modern life. And a neat stack of 10-15 cords is a tangible reminder of a job well done.

I'm not hooked, I can quit any time I want:mad:

I was getting wood the other day in a t-shirt. About 55 and sunny. Has put a crimp in the firewood sales this winter, but I'd rather have the good weather.

Last edited:
Do it long enough and you will get tired of it.lol I'll be the odd man out, I've had enough for this season, we're way over 200 cord sold prolly closer to 250 haven't looked at the book recently. The conditions for cutting this winter have been horrible, either snow or mud to your azz, it's been a challenge to keep up with the winter we've had. If you can't get enough man come on down we could use the help, heck we'll even furnish the mix and bar oil.
Be sure and wear some boots that will keep your feet dry, mud will probably be ankle deep.

I feel for ya, We have been lucky. We have had a good winter up until a few weeks ago. Ground stayed frozen just about all winter. The last couple weeks were tough with about 40+ inches of snow. I finally got back to cutting though this past weekend and it felt good

Right now I'm two years ahead and still cuttin', the quest for a bigger woodpile keeps me going out to the woods. Every time I think that I've got enough and think about selling some, I think "Nah, it'll look better behind the barn":chainsaw:

I think that it is a part of our genetic makeup and there's not much that we can do about it. We just carry stronger genes than others that make us want to prepare for the future. I'd say that the majority of us that cut and burn wood are also hunters.

Woodbooga mentioned that if he lived in the 20s or before that he'd consider gathering firewood a chore. It's hard to say how long it would take using a crosscut saw and an axe to do what we do in a few hours. I would imagine that they spent a lot of time working the wood and still didn't stay good and warm in their mostly uninsulated houses. Yep I agree, it would be a chore.

1. instant gratification - you can sit back and look at what you did

2. its a guy thing

3. it gets you out of the house

4. wife knows where to find you (somtimes good sometimes bad. but better than the lecture about 'i couldnt get ahold of you all day')

5. firewood is security - you can heat with it, you can cook over it, you can sell/trade it for anything you need.

6. male bonding between friends, relatives, neighbors.

7. its an excuse to play with and purchase toys!

I like that quote so well I,ll have a sign made up for the shop. Rep sent. :greenchainsaw:

I prefer to use a gun

but if you can catch a deer on foot you are one heck of a man!!

in this economy firewood is as good as currency :confused:
its a manly thing to do kinda like grilling on the BBQ
its like deer hunting your directly taking care of business with your hands
and supporting your families needs by your physical ability :chainsaw:

Oh, and having the wood separated by species is good.

Keeps you from grabbing an armload of birch when you are in the oak pile...LOL
FAD here too!

firewood is like CAD. once you do it or try it just once your hopelessly hooked. My cutting career started with felling across the county road and bucking just as fast as i could... with a wild thinga-ma-jigger.

As for OCD stacking well ya i do it too. gotta have my hickory, my oak seperated even down to type of oak and then my soft woods all go into a trash pile i burn just to get rid of.

You know, I did not get out to get a lot of wood last year due to work, school, family etc. This year is going to be the same and everytime I think about it, I feel miserable.

Sure, I come home sore, need beer (hey good excuse, relax those muscles)! At the end of the day when my head hits the pillow and I know I have some more fuel to heat the house, keep the family warm and not pay the gas man, it is a good feeling!

Plus I believe we humans need to interact with mother nature and being in the woods surrounded by nature is a great feeling, add the physical labor involved and stress tends to melt away.

Tes

Yeah I'm kinda sad that spring is getting closer. I enjoy tending to a fire as much as I do cutting wood.

I mean really why am I almost obsessed with the stuff. I burn and sell but can't seem to have enough. When I have 10 cords cut split and stacked I want 20, then I want 40, 60. It's all I do with any free time I have. I am fortunate that I have a yard about 150 yards from the house where the firewood operation is and I'm always there. It must be that instant sense of satisfaction and watching the stacks grow. I just love doing it, even stacking is fun to me.

Well, this is all I have to say about it:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=74988

Back