What is junk and what isnt in chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The craftsman 55cc saw, is it a solo or not?

Here is the saw you all are asking about. I dont know about solo or anything, so you tell me what it is. 55cc craftsman pit.

Could be the winner

oldsaw-addict said:
It looks to me like a larger model modern McCulloch pile of crap.

Looks like it could be. Closest I found in size was a 49cc, but they do look alot alike. Could it be?

Knot Whole said:
Craftsman/relabelled Solo?.

The one I spent hours looking for was 52cc, I think. The MFG code was like 363 onstead of 017. I was told they were discontinued a few years ago. I have a huge Sears recycling center near my house and thought they would show up but the manager only orders up what he knows will sell. I really don't want to take the time to dig up the part number again but I'll see if it's someplace handy. A search here should turn up the Mfg codes and you can figure it out yourself. The 'easy start' 55cc saw, that looks like the Mac, looks similar but is wider and lower profile.
John.......

???? dude, you need to see a doc. Get some meds. A lot of anger there. That is probably why you can't seem to see the logic of anyone else's recommendations.

BTW, your previous quote in reference to the current cheap saws ala Poulan and Homelite:

"Granted I'm not really fond of the newer cheaper saws on the market today"

"Granted I'm not really fond of the newer cheaper saws on the market today, but you would probably be fine with a homelite or Poulan Pro."

The point of the above suggest that even though I may not believe the "cheaper" saws out there today are the greatest, they do have their place which I feel can meet the guy's needs.
You should quote me entirely so that the point comes across. Then you should go on to further explain the quote so that you can make your point.

Thanks doc for your recommendation. So far your posts directed at me have nothing but crass remarks. I'll try not to post in any thread I think you may be involved in... to spare the other folks from having to read such nonsense.

Have a great weekend.

I found this Sears 55cc at Sears.com

$229.99
Rebate details

Craftsman 18 in. Gas Chain Saw
Sears item #07135084000 Mfr. model #41AY85AR799
Incredi-Pull™ Unbelievable Starting Ease™, with MAX FIRE IGNITION™ for more reliable starting, 55 cc, 2-cycle engine with chrome plated cylinder for longer engine life, 18" bar length cuts logs up to 36" in diameter, Standard chain brake/hand guard and inertia activated chain brake immediately stops chain in th event kickback occurs, Reduced vibration handle enhances comfort and reduces operator fatigue, Carry case and bar and chain oil included, Fully assembled.

Last edited:
The trouble with the cheap Poulans is not that they have a shorter service life, which you could put up with, considering the low price. The problem is the dismal quality control. You may only have accumulated 10 or 20 hours total time when the saw fails from cylinder seizure due to faulty plating. This happened to thousands of their saws in 2004. My saw parts guy here in Orlando has a large pile of these saws in a metal dumpster awaiting warranty reimbursement. Some failed again after only a few hours after replacement under warranty with the same problem. Then some people have used them for years as 'beater' saws with no problem. It's just a kind of game of chance. But who wants that? The saws labeled by Troy-Built and John Deere are less money than the pro grade saws and seem to have good quality control. Both vendors have saws in the $200 US range that should serve well. It seems that Sears is marketing some of the same saws as Troy-Built under the Craftsman name lately. These seem like a sensible compromise between a 'pro' grade saw and absolute junk.

Jimbo

Craftsman / Solo

whatsnext said:
The one I spent hours looking for was 52cc, I think. The MFG code was like 363 onstead of 017. I was told they were discontinued a few years ago. I have a huge Sears recycling center near my house and thought they would show up but the manager only orders up what he knows will sell. I really don't want to take the time to dig up the part number again but I'll see if it's someplace handy. A search here should turn up the Mfg codes and you can figure it out yourself. The 'easy start' 55cc saw, that looks like the Mac, looks similar but is wider and lower profile.
John.......
Chris and John , the Craftsman / Solo saw that I think you are talking about is catalog number 71-35201 . It's a 3.1 cu.in. , 51cc saw that was in the 1999-2000 Craftsman Power and Hand Tool Catalog .

jimbo1490 said:
You may only have accumulated 10 or 20 hours total time when the saw fails from cylinder seizure due to faulty plating. This happened to thousands of their saws in 2004. My saw parts guy here in Orlando has a large pile of these saws in a metal dumpster awaiting warranty reimbursement. Some failed again after only a few hours after replacement under warranty with the same problem. Jimbo

OK, now I feel vindicated. Mine locked up after about two hours of use. Canadian Tire took it back no questions asked.

one mans way of valueing things,, is different than another,, thats what this forum is partly about.
still my advice get efco ,echo stihl or husk.. just gonna be better money spent and less trouble.jmo

tony marks said:
still my advice get efco ,echo stihl or husk.. just gonna be better money spent and less trouble.jmo

I've got my eye on a Stihl. If they'll let me try it and make it work (for more than three minutes) I may pick it up. I've got at least six trees need to come down (two locations).

another vote for a used stihl 026, but careful who you purchase one from. best to use a known like S&S sawshop.

http://www.snssawshop.com/

they've got a used good condition 026 for $225. they've got a good rep, so I would not be afraid to purchase from S&S.

I hit all the local pawnshops and here's what I came up with.

Shop #1 - basically he wanted to get rid of them. I think he'd give me pretty much my choice for CAN $50. The two best looking of a bad lot were:

Homelight 35
Homelight 350 - a former Alberta Forest Service saw, I suspect it's stolen or if they surplussed it, it's beyond its useful life.

He also had a Pro140 missing parts that he'd probably let go for $10. I've got the parts.

Shop #2 - Stihl 032 looked brand new - CAN $159

Shop #3 - I overpaid here before. This is where I got the Pro140 that won't stay running. Most of the saws I couldn't see the prices other than the big expensive ones.

They did have a Husquevarna 61 for CAN $375 which is out of my range.

Husquevarna - 40, 33, 444
McCullouch - Pro 610, FR 2.3
Echo - CS4400
Stihl - 017 (?)
Homelite - z3350b
Pioneer 1074

and a bunch of Poulans in cases as well as two brand-new-looking 1250's - hmmmmm :dizzy:

Any of these look promising? Store #1 and #3 said I could try them first.

Just thought I should reiterate some of the good advice you have already received here. You really should try and stick with a Husky or Stihl (or maybe an Echo). You mentioned earlier your health was not the best. Do you really want to be worrying about whether your saw is going to start or make it through the day? Sounds like you already had problems with another brand. A 10 to 10.5 lb saw around 3 hp would work for you. A Husky 345, 350 or a Stihl 250, (used) 260 were all previously mentioned. All good reccomendations in that category.
Why add aggrevation to your life? If you absolutely can't afford it then anyone would understand. If you can, then go for it. You won't be sorry.

Just another opinion to add to your file.

asb151 said:
You mentioned earlier your health was not the best.

I'm in perfectly good health. This was originally 4pwr's thread and I kinda kidnapped it (sorry about that).

I'm going to leave work early (the pawnshops tend to close at six) and take along some chainsaw gas and chain oila and see if I can get one of the older Stihl's running properly. I don't really want to pay $159 if I don't have to, nor do I want to get overcharged for a saw that doesn't work at all.

Latest posts

Back