What is the best all around saw "mid duty"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Hudson

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have never used a chainsaw before. I have had about a million times where I SHOULD have went out and purchased one for a job, but went at it old school with a hand saw and clippers.

I currently live on a 1 acre property that needs some small trees cut down and some brush cleared up. I'm land shopping for 25+ acres to buy and build a home on and it seems stupid to buy a small saw that I can't continue to use.

Budget is tight at around $300-350. I have always used stihl trimmers and blowers, but I am not set on any brand name. Is buying a used pro saw my best option? The newer saws seem to have some really silly things/gimmicks added, but that may just be my perception.

Thank you
Aaron

I'm digging through old threads as we go along. A new saw would be a huge plus as I have some projects that need to be finished in the next two weeks. Fencing is going up on two sides of the property, and right now the corner of the lot is a nasty mess of saplings, an old beat up apple tree mixed in with poision ivy and honeydew.

So far:
Poulan 5020 for a cheap work type saw
Husky 445-450 (Exceeds budget, but its new and may fit the bill)

Considering I don't know jack about chainsaws, who would I take the saw to for repair? I have a great Husky dealer nearby, and two decent Stihl dealers. I don't know of any Echo dealers beyond Home Depot.

(Not trying to sound like a smart butt). I don't know anything about Echo product support.

For that price range you can get a nice husqvarna 262xp. Its an older saw but they are great size for 'all around' duty.

First saw.....$3-400 budget......used to get away with hand saw & loppers as your purpose is sub 10" wood............you need a 30-40cc saw with 12/14" bar. Ms171/Ms181 may well be perfect for your needs. Keep it light, simple and learn to sharpen a chain.

CR888,

How long should I expect a bottom of the barrel saw like the MS171 to last? Assuming occasional use and proper maintenance. I admit something light and small would fit the bill for 70% of what I need to do over the next couple of years. I could always add a bigger saw down the road when I actually have the property to maintain.

Plenty of Echo dealers around, not that you'll need one, Echo's are simple and reliable.

With proper care a ms171 will be fine, just don't push it beyond it's capabilities.

Best all around smell saw hands down is the Dolmar 421, but dealers are scarce.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

a clean Stihl 038 magnum. Cant go wrong with one of those!

Is that like other Stihl 0 series saws where many parts are NLA?

40-50cc saw with a short bar is what I would suggest you start with.

A clean used Stihl 026/026Pro would be about perfect. Put on not more than 16" of bar and then go learn how to safely cut and how to maintain your saw.

By far a Stihl ms440. A perfect balanced saw with a 20 inch bar and plenty of ponies.

How many tasks honestly require 20" of bar? That seems a bit much for someone who has historically managed to meet their needs with a handsaw and pruners.

How many tasks honestly require 20" of bar? That seems a bit much for someone who has historically managed to meet their needs with a handsaw and pruners.
A ms440 is a midrange saw and that is what the op was asking. The op said he is shopping for 25 acres. I run a ms260 and ran a ms440 for years. a ms260 is a good limbing saw but that's about it. When you start getting into 12 inch and up oak you need a 440 or bigger. You didn't read the complete post.

When you start getting into 12 inch and up oak you need a 440 or bigger.

No, you don't.

Also, a ms440 is a midsized saw, but isn't a mid-duty. It's as pro as it gets...for a Stihl:baaa:.

To the OP...remember, this is a forum for chainsaw enthusiasts. Even if a mid-duty fits the bill for someone, the advice will heavily favor used pro saws over consumer-grade. We don't like saws that are made to be thrown away when something inevitably happens. The advice for a 262xp is good...great power, fairly small...easy to work on, easy to get parts. But there are plenty of others.

As these guys have stated, You need to learn on a smaller saw and get comfortable with using it and sharpening the chain........if you have that many acres you will undoubtedly get into some bigger wood from storms, and what not....with that said you will end up needing a smaller limbing saw like a ms250 and probably a ms441, or a ms461 for the big stuff....

So I guess to answer the question as to what saw I would get right now, I would get the ms250, as you will still use it even if you get bigger saw in the future...if you are in a state that has mostly softwood, I would get a ms362, as it can handle a wide range of bar sizes, and has great power and torque for its size!!!!

Clear as mud?!?!?

No, you don't.

Also, a ms440 is a midsized saw, but isn't a mid-duty. It's as pro as it gets...for a Stihl:baaa:.

To the OP...remember, this is a forum for chainsaw enthusiasts. Even if a mid-duty fits the bill for someone, the advice will heavily favor used pro saws over consumer-grade. We don't like saws that are made to be thrown away when something inevitably happens. The advice for a 262xp is good...great power, fairly small...easy to work on, easy to get parts. But there are plenty of others.
Your post is a contradiction! A 262xp is a pro saw also and not much smaller.

No, you don't.

Mid-Duty.... True. Of course I'm an elderly gent, so slinging a MS440 around for limbing, ain't going to cut the mustard with me. For just felling, I'd like it though, but really not necessary. An MS211 can , and has done that repeatedly, but it has its weak points, the biggest being it only has one bar nut hold the thing together, and usually gets stripped out from doing undercuts.
One acre could support any big box store saw.
Twenty Five acres could too, but that's where name brands come to mind. Not necessarily pro saws, but a name brand that supports local dealerships, and good service. Around here that'd be STIHL, and they usually have all the sizes of saws on display for U to look over, and check prices, and fit to a personal comfort.

I have never used a chainsaw before. . . . I currently live on a 1 acre property that needs some small trees cut down and some brush cleared up. . . .Budget is tight at around $300-350.
1. Buy a new saw - if you were a guy who likes fussing around with 2-cycle engines and taking chances on used power equipment, you would already have 3 or more saws off of Craig's List and not be asking this question.

2. Shop for a dealer, as well as for a saw. As a newbie, you will have questions and need support. Some places sell saws, some places service them. E.g. if you buy an Echo, buy it from a dealer, not Home Depot. Same thing with Husqvarnas from Lowe's or a STIHL from an ACE Hardware that has 1 or 2 on the shelves. Find one where you feel comfortable asking questions.

3. Buy the saw for your current needs. Most guys with 25+ acres will have more than one saw: a smaller one for limbing, a mid size saw for bucking, and a larger saw for falling an bucking large stuff. No one plays golf with just one club . . .

4. Models that meet the specs you stated (in no particular order):
Echo CS400
STIHL MS251
Husqvarna 445
Dolmar (Makita) PS421

5. Include in your budget: chaps, helmet, safety glasses, gloves, a couple of wedges, some type of filing/sharpening kit.

Philbert

Back