what is the BEST ALL TIME FIREWOOD SAW?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best ALL time firewood saw

• Total voters
Homelite Super XL

Stihl 029/290

McCulloch 10-10

Between those three saws they have heated hundred of thousand homes
over the years.

1. Homelite XL-12
2. McCulloch 10-10
3. Poulan 3400
4. Pioneer 1110,1120
5. Partner 5000+
6 Poulan Pro 330

While these are listed 1 through 6, any and all are great firewood saws.

NOTE: Not a Stihl or Husky or Dolmar in the lot.

Tne 346xp is easily worth that differense! :msp_biggrin:

Now there's the ST that we've all come to know and enjoy!

But the truth of the matter is that no, it is not. Most cutters are getting the job done with far less expensive saws than even the pro models of any brand, let alone paying 25% more.

Last I checked, $150 to $250 buys quite a bit of fuel and oil.

i like em old...

The best is totally subjective but... I vote S25CV for the small stuff, Poulan 3400 for the middle, and a big old echo or poulan for the big stuff. I'm not looking for screaming banshees, I'm looking for honest to god firewood saws. Maybe one day ill have a 395xp for the 32"+ stuff but my saws have never let me or my friends and family down for the last 30 years

Terry beat me to it, but there should have been an entry for the 028. I would venture to say that the 028 and its variants have harvested more true firewood than all the others combined.

52862d1181960784-100_2376-jpg

And the Husky 55/455 and Stihl MS290 are probably the most popular firewood saws of today which didn't even make it to the poll.

I personally don't do polls.

Them's for dancin' girls, firemen, electric wires and Nascar racers.

My thoughts exactly. I'd say after that, the cheapie box store saws but I bet the XL and 10-10 number far surpass the dispose a saws of today.

My answer was unbiased, but based on I feel those three saws were the best selling "firewood" saws/series of saws
of all time.

The best is totally subjective but... I vote S25CV for the small stuff, Poulan 3400 for the middle, and a big old echo or poulan for the big stuff. I'm not looking for screaming banshees, I'm looking for honest to god firewood saws. Maybe one day ill have a 395xp for the 32"+ stuff but my saws have never let me or my friends and family down for the last 30 years

Like a 655 BP or 8500 poulan for the big saw?? I would imagine they would be darn close to a 395. Close enough anyway. Just guessing though, based on what I have read and looking at tons of vids. Someone here or someones here would know from actual experience running all three.

Like a 655 BP or 8500 poulan for the big saw?? I would imagine they would be darn close to a 395. Close enough anyway. Just guessing though, based on what I have read and looking at tons of vids. Someone here or someones here would know from actual experience running all three.

Well yeah that would be great but big for me would be 65-70cc. Don't usually need much bigger than a 24" bar I know of a 4400 for saw but $240 is rich for my blood. The older larger 75cc+ saws are rare in these parts

Last edited:
372. Plenty of power to pull up to a 28" bar if needed with no modification, pulls a 20" bar like a beast. Plenty of parts, very well known saw. The weight overall isnt bad for the power you get. I think its the best all around firewood saw.

The best all round firewood saw, for me would be anything of decent quality weighing less than ten pounds with bar&chain and having around 50cc displacement.

Anyone aware of anything that fits that description?

I've found as I get older, I choose wood that's easier to process. I tend to keep diameter to 16" or less. Easy enough for any decent saw to handle. Accordingly, a light saw with decent power will do 95% of the work I do. If it can't, someone else can have the wood. It'll be too much work to make it worth the effort.

I didn't participate in the poll either. Far too biased.

372xp original versus 372xp X-Torque

I see in the polls the 372xp original with a lot more votes than the 372xp X-Torque.

What does the original have over the x-torque?

Now there's the ST that we've all come to know and enjoy!

But the truth of the matter is that no, it is not. Most cutters are getting the job done with far less expensive saws than even the pro models of any brand, let alone paying 25% more.

Last I checked, $150 to $250 buys quite a bit of fuel and oil.
My answer was unbiased, but based on I feel those three saws were the best selling "firewood" saws/series of saws
of all time.

The question was about BEST, not about cheap substitutes! :msp_biggrin:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back