what is the BEST ALL TIME FIREWOOD SAW?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best ALL time firewood saw

• Total voters
The poll was limited to 10 choices. If you contact a mod and have them add more I'd be glad to add more

That's a common problem with polls here!

Since you said "all time", the Jonsereds 621 and 80 also should have been included, but it simply isn't possible to cover everything with a maximum of 10 choises.....;)

Last edited:
The options are great on the poll but I've seen mostly 455 ranchers and the like cutting firewood quite a few 3400's still in service. I haven't seen a homeowner firewood operation around here with bigger than a 6400 Dolmar and that's only 2 people. 346xp's are great but at full retail i would get myself 3 5020av craftsmans for the same price and durability shouldnt be an issue with proper care. For a production firewood guy a 372 or 7900 is awesome but average... A mid range saw usually lasts the lifetime of the user. Just my .02

The question was about BEST, not about cheap substitutes! :msp_biggrin:

It is true that quality does cost something, but most expensive hardly ever equates to being the best. Remember, the question is best FIREWOOD saw.

Just cutting up plain old firewood doesn't require a hot rod, anymore than building a shed requires those $750 hammers that governments are fond of paying for.

It is true that quality does cost something, but most expensive hardly ever equates to being the best. Remember, the question is best FIREWOOD saw.

Just cutting up plain old firewood doesn't require a hot rod, anymore than building a shed requires those $750 hammers that governments are fond of paying for.

I agree fully with your comments. Problem is that this forum is comprised of many people who are extreme chainsaw aficionados. Many appear to be more about the saw than about the work. Personally, I appreciate a good saw. However at the end of the day, a light, easy handling, good cutting saw will get my admiration, regardless of the brand.

I've got two mid '80s Jreds (630 and 670) both in excellent shape and running order. I've also got a little 34.5cc Echo CS346. It sees most of the work I do now. Particularly brush cutting, limbing and bucking anything 12" dia. and under. I'll pull out the 630 to buck bigger trees because it's pretty much gravity doing the work. Therefore, the weight of the saw is less of an issue. However, in tight spaces with lots of maneuvering, give me a small saw with half decent power any day.

I see in the polls the 372xp original with a lot more votes than the 372xp X-Torque.

What does the original have over the x-torque?

The original (depending on year), didn't have a rev limited coil. Most of the guys here mod their saws. In stock form the old 372 takes better to mods according to people on this site. MY old 372 has had ton of work done to it. Domed piston, machined chamber, etc. It screams with a 20". it was may favorite for a long time and is the way I voted. Plus people are hard headed old school that don't like change. Kinda like when the 441 came out, they wanted to bash it about it being so much heavier than the proven 440...

I have one of each. If you want a strong saw, get the 372xp XT. If you wanted a modded saw to cut cookies at GTG's then get the old one. The X Torq was a cross breed of a fresh air strato in the old proven 372 case. With some mild porting, an unlimited coil, she rips and has tons of torque for longer bars, and sips fuel compared to the old one...The old one was a 20" bar saw imo. The new X Torq is currently wearing a 26" carlton with an 8T. that ought to say enough... but they are both awesome saws.

I voted 372xp , because I own two of it's older brothers , the 272 and 371 . I must say , they are extremely powerful ,fast animals . :chainsawguy:

But , now that i'm older/slower/weaker , i must admit the 346 cuts about 80% of my firewood , and I try to keep the wood under 16". :chainsaw:

For me , bucking @ a log pile the 72cc is a no brainer . Taking the truck into the woods and getting my own trees/tops , etc , I prefer swinging the 346 .

I prefer Swedish pro saws because IMO they're designed to rev higher, and are easy to wrench if needed. Just like my Chevrolets ..... :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Oh , I almost forgot the best anti-vibe and best filtration too !!!

How about a snellerized 362? This tank went for another 4-5 minutes, but i can only put one video in a single post.

[video=youtube;1mQB3n5MreE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mQB3n5MreE&list=UUzRiEcxME2EObEmQCmrAfFg&index=4&feature=plcp[/video]

Last edited:
second part of the gas tank, that's a lot of work for one tank IMO.

[video=youtube;HicnNQ4SVTM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HicnNQ4SVTM&list=UUzRiEcxME2EObEmQCmrAfFg&index=3&feature=plcp[/video]

There is just something about a 372xp! What a saw! As time goes on new improvements in saw technology will eventually trump our favourites. The new stratos from husky are an example; however, the classic 372 still makes great power, is silky smooth and has great filtration. It will be a while before it is 'really' outdated and the small improvements in technology can't justify the money for new saw purchases for me. I will be cutting wood with my 346/ 372 combo for years to come Lord willing.

Long live the 372xp -- LEGEND :rock:

Tim

How about a snellerized 362? This tank went for another 4-5 minutes, but i can only put one video in a single post.

[video=youtube;1mQB3n5MreE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mQB3n5MreE&list=UUzRiEcxME2EObEmQCmrAfFg&index=4&feature=plcp[/video]

second part of the gas tank, that's a lot of work for one tank IMO.

That's one way to split firewood, but what a waste of fuel, and human effort! I'm sure he wasjust trying to run some fuel through it.. Looks strong. I prefer the Fiskars for that kindof work though... lol

The 362 is a strong runner but it's not much good for cutting dry hardwood with that useless air filter, way too much dust goes through it.

That's a nice 362 you have there bowyer! Don't let some of the dopey comments rain on your fun. I've noodled many a big round to get down to something I can throw in the truck easily, and I can do it faster and with less effort than any other way, too.
My favorite saw is my 046. I like the Dolkita alot too. I use the 066 for milling. I came to the realization this year though that being able to sling around the bigger saws is going to come to an end at some point in the not to distant future, what with my bad shoulder and knee. After seeing your 362 demo it kind of reinforces what I've been thinking about working over a 261 and see how it turns out.

I can some times get a few rounds that need to be cut to more manageable size pieces and the only way is with a saw, my 8lb maul just bounced off this one.

[video=youtube;CZs6wB4eOxs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZs6wB4eOxs[/video]

Its so hard to just choose one...

3ED47132-7C01-4869-AE2F-EEDC9D185E63-361-000001E9DBE805A4.jpg

That's one way to split firewood, but what a waste of fuel, and human effort! I'm sure he wasjust trying to run some fuel through it.. Looks strong. I prefer the Fiskars for that kindof work though... lol

It costs me $0.56 for a 20oz tank of fuel. Including mix oil and bar oil it might be $1. Seems plenty efficient to me, I also have a fiskar's splitter, but prefer to use it on other wood species.

Well, to me firewood cutting includes felling, limbing and bucking in the woods - it isn't an "inferior" type of cutting, that you indicate it is.

Each to their own, as usual! :givebeer:

It costs me $0.56 for a 20oz tank of fuel. Including mix oil and bar oil it might be $1. Seems plenty efficient to me, I also have a fiskar's splitter, but prefer to use it on other wood species.

how many btu's of wood did you waste noodling the tank away? :msp_sleep:

Back