What is the best cheap 40cc saw out there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know i was very vague in the title..i just meant what saws have the least failures and have parts easy to come by. I knew homelite made a pretty decent saw..just couldnt remmeber what model it was..but it was mentioned above. Price wise would be anywheres around $100. I might be lookin at the wild thing..and just putting a new 16" bar on it. The only thing that makes me hesitant about it is finding parts. I already have an 026, so im just lookin for the best way to go and thanks for all the good replies guys.
If you have an 026 you should be all set.

Light, cheap and powerful- the Homelite XL-1/superEZ fits the bill. I have two of them and use them for 90% of my cutting. I'm using the aggressive Stihl RS chain and can bury a 16" bar in oak no problem. A Stihl 024 av super is very nice, but heavier and quite a bit more expensive.

Ready to cut a Echo CS400 is 13#, I'd think a 026 is around 14 3/4 ready to cut. Steve
Cheap, ? Well in my mind the Cheapest most economical saw is one that is priced lower than the competition and HOLDS UP a long time. I paid 228 for a brand new Echo 352 by getting it when Echo has their yearly 20% off sale. It's lighter than my 024 has less cc's only 34 but cuts as well. AND it'll get more economical as the years go by. In my hands the cs 400 feels about the same weight as the cs490 but the 490 is a 50cc and cuts every bit as well as my Sthil 026. They weigh about the same. As far as I'm concerned the cheapest saw you can run and enjoy with LESS headache is Echo. I think Sthil cost to much and unless you buy a big one and use it often you could have gotten an Echo. At 250 bucks it cost less than a dollar a day the first year. That's CHEAP . Pay 365 for a great saw and in two years you rented it from yourself for 50 cents a day. You made money on self rent alone. How much an hour does a Chainsaw rent for. Make a call find out. Buy an Echo 490 and it's all the saw the average home owner ever needs. Get an extra bar and chain. Buy at 20% off. Take care of it and rent from yourself. By the time your warranty is out you paid for the saw and earned 100's of dollars surplus because what you save, you earn.

As brad said the ryobi branded redmax gz400...that was a great saw for 120 bills. The ryobi 3714 is a good saw and costs about a Benjamin, they pop up on ebay and can be bought for 20$ occasionally.

As brad said the ryobi branded redmax gz400...that was a great saw for 120 bills. The ryobi 3714 is a good saw and costs about a Benjamin, they pop up on ebay and can be bought for 20$ occasionally.
I loved my Ryobi 3714. It lasted all of 5 days. Remove the top cover. Look inside. Cheaply made. Remove the cover of an Echo, any Echo and see the difference. Thankfully I got a full refund. 109 dollars. Bought the Echo tax and all under 230 bucks. The Echo cs352 cuts as well as the 37cc Ryobi. The Ryobi IS a tad lighter but much more fragile. In my mind save the 109 instead of spending it on a Ryobi save another 120 put that with it and buy an Echo. To me that's money better spent. If you lived near me id sell you a good used 024 or 026 Sthil. I never use them since I bought Echo's.

Those echo 352s are nice looking saws. Someone mentioned tanaka. I have the cs40ea, it is a good running saw but dont loose the scrench because the bar nuts are smaller than on a husqy and the chain brake handle can snap off easily.

A cs 400 with the cat removed is a strong cheap saw. As for the weight of the 490 heres mine ready to cut with 16" 3/8lp 20180610_090309.jpg I dont know how much the standard 20" 325 setup would add as I ordered mine with a 16.

Those echo 352s are nice looking saws. Someone mentioned tanaka. I have the cs40ea, it is a good running saw but dont loose the scrench because the bar nuts are smaller than on a husqy and the chain brake handle can snap off easily.
Is that chain break attached at only one place to the saw?.
I call those 1 leg chain brakes.
Absolutely hate them.
After I snapped one of those off a Poulan, I sold that saw and Echo connects on BOTH sides of the saw, like my Sthils.
Avoid one leg chain brakes like the plague. Any good modern saw will attach both sides. Good luck.

You can get an Echo cs-352 new in box off ebay all day long for $215 .... I love mine, opened up muff, and CCW the H screw a bit after grinding off the tabs on the carb screws. This little saw rips for 10.4 Lbs

Is that chain break attached at only one place to the saw?.
I call those 1 leg chain brakes.
Absolutely hate them.
After I snapped one of those off a Poulan, I sold that saw and Echo connects on BOTH sides of the saw, like my Sthils.
Avoid one leg chain brakes like the plague. Any good modern saw will attach both sides. Good luck.

They are two leg but only have a tiny screw holding the left side on. The screw on the brake side is much bigger.

You can get an Echo cs-352 new in box off ebay all day long for $215 .... I love mine, opened up muff, and CCW the H screw a bit after grinding off the tabs on the carb screws. This little saw rips for 10.4 Lbs
You are SO CORRECT.
The cs352 is ABSOLUTELY the very best deal on a great saw for the cost.
That saw is amazing like my girlfriend was back in 1970. . She lasted 7 years but those last 5 was hell. A good Chainsaw will outlast a lot of marriages and never give you regrets. Forget diamond rings, buy an Echo. There, I said it. Those who disagree may be lucky or either inexperienced. Good day.

Gardtech Chain Saw 52cc Gasoline 20 In. Cutting Wood EPA CARB
BY Vertak Mechanical & Electronic 0 / 5
2 Questions \ 2 Answers
here for hours and location.
SHIPS WITHIN: 5 DAYS, WARRANTY: 1-YEAR Warranty For Parts, Service and Repair by:
TPIN: BNV8JQ75WCondition: New
Price:
$98.00

+ Shipping from $14.39

This item is on display at our Cerritos showroom.Click here for hours and location.
SHIPS WITHIN: 5 DAYS, WARRANTY: 1-YEAR Warranty For Parts, Service and Repair by:

1. Engine type: cooling single cylinder, two strokes

2. Bar length: 20 in.

3. Rated output power: 2.68HP (2000W)

4. Transpire capacity: 52cc

5. EPA & CARB compliant

Gardtech Chain Saw 52cc Gasoline 20 In. Cutting Wood EPA CARB
BY Vertak Mechanical & Electronic 0 / 5
2 Questions \ 2 Answers
here for hours and location.
TPIN: BNV8JQ75WCondition: New
Price:
$98.00

+ Shipping from $14.39

This item is on display at our Cerritos showroom.Click here for hours and location.

1. Engine type: cooling single cylinder, two strokes

2. Bar length: 20 in.

3. Rated output power: 2.68HP (2000W)

4. Transpire capacity: 52cc

5. EPA & CARB compliant
Today my brother who can afford ANY Chainsaw he wants dropped by my place.
We ran my Echo's. The 490 and the 352.
He already has a Echo 620p and several Sthils.
He was very impressed with the Echo cs352.
We cut cookies off a 14 inch log. The 490 is almost as light as the 352 and cuts every bit as good as the Sthil 026.
Then came the cs352.
He never bogged the 34cc saw and it was not a lot slower than the 50cc saw which really surprised him.
Before Id spend 100 bucks on a cheap unknown brand with a 1 year warranty, I'd apply that money on an Echo with a 5 year warranty.
Recently I had to replace about 800 feet of 1.5 inch water line. The line was thin wall PVC. Yes in the beginning it cost a lot less than Schedule 40. But replacing it has cost me more than double what idI have paid for a proper schedule 40 line. What I'm saying is I saved about 100 dollars but lost 200 when that line busted and ran up a 200 dollar water bill. Then the repairs plus having to re dig almost 4 feet deep.
If you do it correctly the first time, that IS the most economical way.
Ive had lots of crap Chainsaws. Today I talked a friend out of spending 151 bucks plus Tax for a Craftsman. Hes putting a little more cash with that and buying an Echo 352.
I don't sell Echo. I don't get a dime from anyone connected to Echo but friends don't let friends waste money on something that isn't money well spent. People come to me for advice. I saw Echo.

Echo saws are sold really cheap in the US, in other countries there 3/4 price of a Husky or Stihl. Sure there well made saws that perform OK but if they weren't so cheap only a fraction of the market would buy them. Most other countries its rare to see anyone using Echo saws. MRSP $399 for the 590TW is a bargain. Its over $1k in many other countries & next to none are sold. You see the odd top handle around.

Before Id spend 100 bucks on a cheap unknown brand with a 1 year warranty, I'd apply that money on an Echo with a 5 year warranty.
Ive had lots of crap Chainsaws. Today I talked a friend out of spending 151 bucks plus Tax for a Craftsman. Hes putting a little more cash with that and buying an Echo 352.
I don't sell Echo. I don't get a dime from anyone connected to Echo but friends don't let friends waste money on something that isn't money well spent. People come to me for advice. I saw Echo.

You're absolutely right and that is really the best advice for anyone looking for a "low cost" chainsaw. I should have stated that this was the cheapest saw I could find online but wasn't recommending buying it. But if I had $100 bucks to waste I wouldn't mind seeing what the thing can do. BTW I did some further research on YUUTOOL and found a lot of complaints about not honoring their warranty, or wearing people out in the process until they gave up trying.

How I really feel about the subject of buying a cheaper chainsaw is stated in the thread "562XP Durability" where I responded to these 3 comments:
[QUOTE="ammoaddict, I buy what I believe is the most value for my money. It might not be the absolute best, but it's the best I can afford.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE="Big Red Oaks 4 me, you can get a good or bad one in regards to everything mechanical.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE="SmellyPirateHooker, Competition breeds improvements, one more competitor in the batch is awesome. As far as the dudes being brand specific to a fault, sucks for you. [/QUOTE]
"To the OP, there you have it. I couldn't agree with these comments more. Do your research, buy what's best for you and your circumstances with the best quality you can afford, don't get caught up in the "I only buy brand X""

P.S. I have 2 Echo saws myself.

MRSP $399 for the 590TW is a bargain. Its over $1k in many other countries
Don't know about "many countries", but in Europe (where all chainsaws are more expensive than in USA) the CS590 really doesn't cost $1k... In Germany $800, in CZ ~$600, etc.

I know i was very vague in the title..i just meant what saws have the least failures and have parts easy to come by. I knew homelite made a pretty decent saw..just couldnt remmeber what model it was..but it was mentioned above. Price wise would be anywheres around $100. I might be lookin at the wild thing..and just putting a new 16" bar on it. The only thing that makes me hesitant about it is finding parts. I already have an 026, so im just lookin for the best way to go and thanks for all the good replies guys.

I didn't see anyone mention this Husky I found on Amazon. It's 38cc and looks like it might fit what your looking for. If you don't want the Amazon Rewards Visa you can cancel it after you get the discount.

Husqvarna 240 2 HP Chainsaw, 952802154 (16-Inch)
Price: $179.95 & FREE Shipping.Details
Get $50 off instantly: Pay $129.95 upon approval for the Amazon Rewards Visa Card.
  • X-torque - delivers lower fuel consumption and reduced exhaust emission levels in accordance with the world´s most stringent environmental regulations
  • Air injection - centrifugal air cleaning system removes larger Dust and debris Particles before reaching the air filter. This results in reduced air filter Cleanings and improved engine life
  • Combined choke/stop control - allows for easier starting and reduces the risk of engine flooding
  • Lowvib - system designed to reduce vibration levels to the operator, which lessens fatigue
  • Air Purge - removes air from carburetor and fuel system for easy starting

Back