What is the best tree climbing saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brylon644

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Im in the market for a tree climbing saw. Read some about the stihl ms210t not being a great saw. Just wondering what your opinions are.

The ms210t is not worth a crap, but from what I have seen the ms201t can be made to run better then the 200t

Thats fine and all but I kinda just want to buy one and use it. I love my stihls but dont want to buy a dog, and dont feel like messing around with it. I was just wondering how the husqvarna saws are? Or other brands that may compare.

wait for the T540xp to be available or buy a CS355T. The King is dead and there ain't a new king.

I would wait but I have a job coming up that I need it for. So what should I buy. The job is paying for what I buy and Im looking to purchase no later then 2 weeks.

If it was me, I would get the MS201T and use it for the job. You might find it to be very nice. If you don't think it measures up, with your profits you can send it out when you have a lull and get it tweaked. If you are doing a lot of in the air cutting you would need a back up saw anyway so maybe try two different kinds and do some comparisons.

A bit unclear from your post but will this be "your" saw or just a saw provided for the job?

I have never owned an echo. How do they hold up over time? It would be hard to buy anything but a stihl for me. Lol If they are good saws I would entertain owning one.

I have never owned an echo. How do they hold up over time? It would be hard to buy anything but a stihl for me. Lol If they are good saws I would entertain owning one.

In my experience they are very long lived. Past models were very low powered turds, but this new one looks really good. Do a search there are videos and a porting thread showing the innards. It's a clamshell but has a very nice cylinder design and makes good power.

If you can afford to add 50 bucks to the cost just get Brad to pick you up a new 201T and mod it for you. Then you get a saw ready to go that you don't have to mess with. You lose the warranty, but the commercial usage warranty is short anyways.

the best top handle hasnt been released yet:hmm3grin2orange:. But if you have to have one immed you could settle for the 201:potstir:. I've thought about it myself while waiting for the 540xp. My luck would be it would be released the very next day.

If it was me, I would get the MS201T and use it for the job. You might find it to be very nice. If you don't think it measures up, with your profits you can send it out when you have a lull and get it tweaked. If you are doing a lot of in the air cutting you would need a back up saw anyway so maybe try two different kinds and do some comparisons.

A bit unclear from your post but will this be "your" saw or just a saw provided for the job?

I mean work/the job is buying me the saw. It will be payed by the company through the job but will be mine to keep. Thats why I want to buy the right saw.

In my area most tree services use the stihl 200t or the newer 201t in the air. And in my opinion (for what its worth) they pack the most punch mod or not. The Huskys are a distant second around here and guys who run them like them. As far as the echos go they seem to have a great reputation for reliability but always seem under powered, but that does not include the newest model which I have not run or now anyone who has. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

I like to cut tree's with my saws and leave the climbing to my cats.....now if my saw starts to climb tree's I'll recommend it to ya.....

But seriously now, anything tiny and can be one handed. T's are a great choice but think older some times. Here my MAC 140 and she's a great addition to my saw plan.

Do some searching on the MS201T. You'll find that there is a very specific sequence to the tuning process that must be followed or it will under perform. Or send it to Brad and he'll perk it up a bit for you.

There really isn't anything in the same class as of today. If you'll be using it a lot, don't even bother with an Echo, Husky, etc. Stihl is still king of the climbing saw.

My jonsered 2139 has done me well in the tree, stock form was fine, a muffler mod made it better and then throw a little timing at it made it better yet. The price isn't to terrible either.

My jonsered 2139 has done me well in the tree, stock form was fine, a muffler mod made it better and then throw a little timing at it made it better yet. The price isn't to terrible either.

I have ran this saw, and it sure is strong. In my opinion the best top handle is the one that is full of fuel & oil, with a sharp chain, and WILL START AT THE TOP OF THE TREE!:angry::angry: Under any circumstances never take a Homelite xl, xl2, super2, of any such cinfiguraton to the top of the tree expecting anything more than to be frustrated and throw it as hard as you can and hope that you dont hit the truck!

Back