What is the most worthless saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
poulan 2300 CVA. won"t stay running but won"t die. left it underwater for a week. didn"t faze it.still didn't run any better, or worse for that matter

There are saws out there that are far worse than Poulans. The biggest piece of crap saw I've ever seen are the Talon brand. Sold in Australia by some chain stores. Absolute garbage.
The Poulans are works of mechanical art compared to them...

+1

And any variant they pushed off on Sears or anyone else to sell no matter what color they were.

I'd like to have a nickle for every one of those POS saws folks have brought up here over the years because they wouldn't start after sitting a few months.

The same thing goes thru my mind every time I see one: "They didn't start well when you brought it home from Walmart, what makes you think it's going to start now that it's sat in your garage for two years????".....Cliff

This is absolutely the worst chainsaw I have ever seen

1266343550_chainsaw.jpg

I have many concerns regarding this pic;

Is that a dude or a dudette?
But more importantly . . . what kind of saw is that?

This does not pertain to any certian make of saw but the most useless saw to me would one that would not start or run after driving an hour out to the site where there was an expectation of having 300 trees on the ground for each saw present that day. On the big powerline clearing jobs we did years ago there was always one or more fellers that would have a saw not start or work, these jobs were done on a schedule and lord help the crew that held up a project .

Pioneerguy600

Prolly the worst saw is one you using to cut a yarder strip with. The saw is a very heavy homelite, the strip you cutting is so steep that you need tie a rope off to another tree to keep from sliding off the hill. you get to the bottom of your strip and try to start the saw but the starter spring breaks. You then rewind the rope manually and try to restart, the saw wont fire. then you kick you self in the arse because you forgot were you put your backup saw!!!!! Thats a bad day in the strip, and a long 3000 foot climb out to the road to get another saw.

any saw that quits when you need it to work I.E.- when you get stuck in the heavy woods because two trees fell in the path after you crossed through there and you cant get back out and your about 10 miles deep in BFE in tn.

long walk back to get a saw that would run......dayum ol dayton saw......:chainsaw:

Interesting post, SM, and interesting replies so far.

Its easy to just blurt out some crappy poulan or modern homelite, but the reality is: are they really "worthless" if they meet a niche?

I have sold a lot of saws over the years and yet the very first saw i ever bought (green poulan 3416 for $125) remains on my shelf (right next to a 262 no less!)

Why?

Because for its intended purpose, its actually quite good. It is cheap, easy to run, starts pretty much flawlessly and if my father in law accidentally straight gasses it, i wont shed a tear.

Dont get me wrong, i wouldnt dream of pulling this one out for a day of cutting (although I have done it a loooong time ago) but for what its sold for (cheap, almost disposable saw for those with minimal needs) its actually not such a bad tool. Its certainly not "worthless" when judged based on its selling criteria.

For me a worthless saw would be one that claims to be more than what it is. I have a Poulan 4620 that works really well with a nice small bar on it but considering its advertised as a "big work saw" and even comes with a 20" bar, its not true to what its being sold as & if used as such will almost certainly fail in no time.

Just my 2¢

Homelite 410, overweight, pos never run right from day one. Wouldn't start, twenty pulls hot or cold, was a complete turd compared to the sxl 925 it replaced, that's one trade that I never wish happened. It was the biggest piece of **** real saw that I've ever owned. I don't even consider Wild Things real saws, they are a disposable saw, a few uses and throw the thing away.

ever made?

Name your criteria for choosing.

The last years of the Macs were by far the biggest piles of junk on the saw market. When Mac fell into the box trap with the big box store retailers and the retailers jewed them down to nothing they starting producing pure junk. The failure rate on the last of the Macs was at 75%..

The worst saw I have ever owned and used is the Shindaiwa 488. It is a real pain to start, has no power, and endless carb issues, real piece of JUNK in my opinion. I'm glad the saw was given to me because I would have NEVER parted with my money to buy this thing! I just don't think the saw was ever designed to really work, that's why I have it listed as a "toy" saw in my signature.

I also know of at least (2) of my wood cutting buddies that have been suckered into purchasing this saw, and they have the exact same problems with them.

All I can say is a big thank you to Stihl.......

Craig

One april morning around 1978 I got word that we would not be working that day as the crane had a problem. I hurriedly packed up some gear and grabbed a saw off the rack, I knew it was a completely readied saw meaning it was full of fuel and bar oil. Jumped in the truck and drove for 1 and 1/2 hours, pulled the canoe off the truck and tossed the gear in, the sun was just breaking the horizon. Paddled 20 mins up that lake, landed and portaged 15 mins to the next. Paddled 25 mins up that lake, pulled out and portaged 45 mins to the next lake, paddled up to the backwoods camp we had there. I had taken the saw with me to cut firewood for the coming fishing season. Made a cup of coffee and downed that, grabbed the saw and gave it a couple of pulls over, immediately knew something was wrong, saw had no compression, pulled the top cover off and no spark plug. That was the most worthless chainsaw I ever owned with no plug in it, nearly 100 miles from home, 3 1/2 hours travel and the worthless saw wouldn`t cut wood. What to do, what to do, toss it in the lake, smash it down over a rock, pulverize it with the pole axe? Stewed over my foolhardy rushing to get here for a bit, then remembered we had a 2 hp Johnson outboard hidden about 1/2 mile from the camp. Retrieved the outboard and borrowed the sparkplug from it for the saw. Saw starts right up and I get a good bit of wood cut up in a hour of run time, now that useless saw was not so useless after all. LOL
Pioneerguy600

Latest posts

Back