What is worth keeping..... 2002 ms290, 2010 ms 290, 2015 ms311?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlMaster88

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got 3 powerheads that all need to be rebuilt. both 290's have scored pistons and heads and the 311 has a broken piston skirt. engine sizes are around the same but were the old ones built better ? or the newer 311 is better? I'm probably only gonna keep one and maybe fix the others to sell. thoughts?

Fix as many as you can and sell them all. If you sell 2 of those on Craigslist, you should be able to come up with $4-500, which will get you into a saw much nicer than a farm boss.

we got rid of the 2 290's and keeping the 2015 ms311 so that is gonna be our rebuild project. do you have any links for shortblock and just setups for standard replacement or upgrading also ms311 top end heads

we got rid of the 2 290's and keeping the 2015 ms311 so that is gonna be our rebuild project. do you have any links for shortblock and just setups for standard replacement or upgrading also ms311 top end heads
I would have kept the 290 s. THose EPA 311 are a POS. Notorious for needing high dollar coils, POS carbs, parts unreal high (gas line $26 OTD). I bought one to flip that looked to be in good shape, cylinder and piston nice, but the rest of the saw was an endless money pit. THose old 290 s can be refurbished on the cheap and are pretty decent except a little heavy.

Latest posts

Back