What is your favorite all around Stihl chainsaw ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must be a great saw, because Randy says his ported 441 is his favorite 70 cc saw! Hey, when I get mine back from Randy and I'm through with tax season I will have to arrange a get together to try each others saws (through MechanicMatt). Will be interesting to compare that to my ported 362 C-M and your 441 C-M to my 044.

12mm 044.
The most useful Stihl. My opinion is any smaller is top handle time. It feels as light as my 362c but uses the same stuff as my 6'z like clutch cover, dogs, air filter. It can brush or lop and can be built to spin a 32 and be a faller saw. I like mine for cutting culls with a 28" bar on it because I don't have to limb them.

Attachments

• 20190809_180455.jpg
    20190809_180455.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
Welcome sawbum. I was going to mess with you and say my Homelite Super 1050, but I saw you were new so I’ll play it straight. I only have 3 Stihls, an MS 170, 290, and 660. I was surprised how much I liked the little 170. The 290 gets the most work, and the 660 is my favorite. It usually has a 36 on it, but even with the 25 it gets to my back after about half an hour.its far and away the lightest of my bigger saws, so that makes it my favorite Stihl.

I have a 10mm w a hultz micro big bore.... I am a slinger trying to be a builder so I'm a little cooky so... It seems to rip but the duder I got it from put too large of screws in the handle and put holes in the case. Idiot. Damn. Anyways it was way impressive felling culls. It adjusted plane cuts with out have it back out, just hold, sight, pull trigger. 7pin comp
My 12mm got a log rolled on it but was far less impressive. I called it the museum piece. Gave it to my buddy who likes stockers. Good to have to compare.

I was super not impressed with the 462. I have a modified 362c that seems like it. Wouldn't buy either now. My next saw is a 44...4 want to get me a little blue badass.
Nice to meet you guys finally.

Wow, talk about reviving an old thread!

My 10mm 044 was my favorite, will run just as strong as a 12mm and is lighter. Then I got my 462 … lighter, just as strong, spring AV, computer tuning, and a stay clean filter! Real hard not to like it a whole lot!

BTW, welcome to the site!

The 25" would wear me out way more limbing than the 36". Same with lopping. My 362 only comes out for cutting culls and the landing when I am sharpening my 661. I can take the taunting... Been a character in shops n manual labor all my life.

Welcome sawbum. I was going to mess with you and say my Homelite Super 1050, but I saw you were new so I’ll play it straight. I only have 3 Stihls, an MS 170, 290, and 660. I was surprised how much I liked the little 170. The 290 gets the most work, and the 660 is my favorite. It usually has a 36 on it, but even with the 25 it gets to my back after about half an hour.its far and away the lightest of my bigger saws, so that makes it my favorite Stihl.

The 25" would wear me out way more limbing than the 36". Same with lopping. My 362 only comes out for cutting culls and the landing when I am sharpening my 661. I can take the taunting... Been a character in shops n manual labor all my life.
I never did any logging, all residential tree care. Now I only use the 660 for milling and firewood, that's why the 290 gets most of the work. It's funny, the 660 with the 25 is balanced nice enough it really doesn't feel that much heavier than the 290 with the 20, and it knocks out the work much faster.

The 029 is most likely the most sold and used Stihl of all time, but the 034 super is the best Stihl right out of the box ever sold
Not arguing because I don't know. But, my buddy pulled an old 08S out of a dumpster and gave it to me. In researching the 08S I read it was the longest in production Stihl. It was made up to a few years ago in other country's.

440/460 or hybrid of the two. Can run the little bars and be a light saber or the longer ones for felling and bucking. Definitely don’t feel the weight in your hands over the course of the day like a 660 would. Best of all it runs a bar long enough you don’t have to bend over to buck or limb!

I don't have an 034S, but I have a MOFO ported 360, I also have 2 ported Hybrids, and my CFB hybrid won the NYS GTG 77 cc competition against other ported Hybrids and 460s, and I have numerous ported 660s that I like for milling and noodling big wood.

But for best all around with a 20" bar, I'll take the 462. That said, all of the above, and my 044 are all real darn nice saws and they all get used. My MMWS 261 Ver II also sees a lot of run time with a 18" B+C. It is a great limbing/light bucking saw and is refreshingly lighter than the other saws listed.

When you change elevations, temp, etc. and you just want to pull out a saw and use it, you start to appreciate the computer controlled saws.

Latest posts

Back