What is your ideal truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmersfirewood

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My Ideal Trucks:

2006 Dodge 3500 cummins diesel, 6 speed, texas ranch edition, dually, crew cab, 4x4, all the interior goodies, black with chrome running boards, wich and grillle guard, exhaust stacks, banks power pack and exhaust brake.

1979 f-350 extended cab 4x4, 460, 4 speed, fully restored factory orginal, chrome grille guards and running boards, dark mettallic blue.

LOL Dada, I know how you feel.
Being a farmer i can not afford much, so I ended up getting a old 1991 Ford F250 4 wd E4od 7.3 IDI diesel non turbo . Well I have just done a few mods to it. It has the injection pump turned up 15%, timing advanced, soup bowl off under the air cleaner lid, K &N air filter, and 3 inch exhaust from the Y back with no muffler. On the last check on winter fuel on short runs it will do about 12 to 13. Last summer on a long highway run at about 75 she done 17 to 18.
Not bad for a farm truck running 4.11 gears. The adjustments to the engine sure make a difference. This winter yet I will add a cold air intake along side the radiator. This will also act as a ram air system then too. Then maybe some day a turbo under the hood. But, now I just have to worry about getting the trans rebuilt.
Later
Bob

LOL

Yeap I go to a ford diesel forum all the time. Helped out with a few things over the time I owned the truck. Last summer I had injection pump problems. Got some good info there on changing it out.
I also had a 85 1/2 with a straight 6 and 4 spd manual overdrive. That poor truck seen it all. Rolled across the scales one day at the junk yard with a load of cast on. The load weighted more then the truck empty. Had 6200 in back. That was the last time I did a dum thing like that.
Bob

My '79 F250

I already own it!

Last edited:
A Ford Ranger or Mazda truck with a diesel engine, which unfortunately they stopped making some years ago. I believe the engines were supplied by Mazda. Good truck,just the right size for the city, plus I do not need anything larger, just the mileage sucks, and it is low on power for hauling heavy trailers and the like.

slabracing: I love that model of truck. My dad has had at least one the whole time i have been growing up.

Ideal?

1978 or 79 F-250 Super Cab Camper Special 4x4 with a 5.9 Cummins 12-valve running around 500hp/1200 torque. New Venture 6-speed, New Process X-fer, Dana 80 rear axle, air locker. Someday.

What I gots:
1995 Ram 2500 4x4 on the fat side of 400/1000
1998 Ram 2500 4x4 also around 400/1000
2000 Ram 2500 4x2 Dyno'd 473/1040

Yes, I am President of the local chapter of TDR--Turbo Diesel Register AND we're having a BIG meeting tomorrow in Dickson, TN(Underwood Tire). Giving away a HP Clutch, set of gauges, set of 10-ply tires, and lots more. See the TDR website if'n you care for more info. or call me 615 542 1957.

And I can give you the specifics of the mods on any or all of those Doggies if you care. 5.9 Cummins IS the 327 of the nineties!

Hey Wade,
Good to see you on this forum also. I too am a member of the TDR. (You already know that, talked to you about bicycles on that forum)
I don't know of anyone who has a dyno here, but what would you guesstimate my hp and torque would be at the rear wheels?

My current ride is a 2001 Dodge 2500 4X4, Cummins HO, 6 spd. It has Mach 1.6 injectors, TST PM3 with remote gauges, diPricol fuel pressure gauge, FASS lift pump, a PDR HX40/16 turbo, AFE air filter system, RanchHand bumpers front and rear, Mad ecm and a South Bend OFE clutch to hold all the power. This truck will push you back in the seat when accelerating. Everyone who I have taken for a ride and the select few who I have let drive it had their eyes pop out with the power. Most all thought diesels were slow.:laugh: . I know my truck is not even close in power to some of the members in your region. BTW, this truck has almost 105000 miles.

Driving it! :D

1988 crew cab GMC,(3/4 ton)

354 Perkins
NP 540 5 speed
3.21 rear

Gets 29 mpg (imperial) empty, about 19 - 20 pulling the wife's 31' gooseneck horse trailer

(driveline is out of a 1966 Dodge PD600);)

Seriously, I'd prefer a new cummins, but there's no payments on this one! Gets a lot of attention too.

rb_in_va said:
Got a pic?
Yup. Let me see if I can attatch it.

attachment.php

Had a little issue with a Norway maple in a windstorm last summer. About 8" in diameter, looked healthy. Wind twisted it off at teh ground, didn't touch anything else.

Got some other pictures of the installation somewhere, can't find them at the moment.

attachment.php

Believe it or not, the only damage was a few scratches in the paint that polished out!

Koa Man said:
Hey Wade,
Good to see you on this forum also. I too am a member of the TDR. (You already know that, talked to you about bicycles on that forum)
I don't know of anyone who has a dyno here, but what would you guesstimate my hp and torque would be at the rear wheels?

My current ride is a 2001 Dodge 2500 4X4, Cummins HO, 6 spd. It has Mach 1.6 injectors, TST PM3 with remote gauges, diPricol fuel pressure gauge, FASS lift pump, a PDR HX40/16 turbo, AFE air filter system, RanchHand bumpers front and rear, Mad ecm and a South Bend OFE clutch to hold all the power. This truck will push you back in the seat when accelerating. Everyone who I have taken for a ride and the select few who I have let drive it had their eyes pop out with the power. Most all thought diesels were slow.:laugh: . I know my truck is not even close in power to some of the members in your region. BTW, this truck has almost 105000 miles.

I've flat out spooked a few folks who thought diesels were all rattle and slow.

I don't know enough about Don's injectors or TST's boxes to make an edjumacated guess on yours.

The basics I'm running on the 24v is City Diesel Dodgezilla 35/40 with 14cm housing, DD3 injectors, and Drag Comp. With big fuel line--zero banjos, OFE, etc. 50psi in two blinks of the eye.

We're dynoing on Dunbar's rig this March. I'll get some real numbers for the other trucks then. They all make from 45-50 psi and scoot.

Now the BIG hp guy 'round here is Meacham. He's working on getting into the 10's with his drag truck. He's put a P-pump on a 24valve. Then took it all apart to start over with BIGGER twins. He already had a 5" big turbo. Now I think he'll have two 5" ers. Truck was easily over 700hp before, he'll be pushing 900-1000 next time out.

Shhhh. don't tell.

depends what you want to do

My current heavy pickup is a 1990 F250 diesel that I baught with 196,000 miles and a junk tranny that a friend and I fixed up. Nice on the highway. I kinda liked the look of the military Kaiser Jeep pickups, most have rotted away. As for going on a beer run up the road I like the look of this http://www.vannattabros.com/truck6.html

dont know if its my dream truck but I love it and i`ll probably never sell it, i`d lose my shirt if I did :dizzy:

98.5 quad cab shorty 12 valve 4x4 with a manual , ported head, pdr cam,ats manifold, pdr 370 sticks, b1/s400 twins, arp studs, 215 pump, FASS, custom DP into 6 inch stacks, haisley DD clutch, nv5600 with the big shafts, 6 inch lift, 37 inch bfg`s on weld wheels.

i`d really like to find an old late 60`s to 72 suburban and cut the rear off it behind the doors and turn it into a crew cab then fit a short bed on it and drop in a 24v and a 6 speed I have sitting on the floor. i`ve done the body work for a guy once before so the only issue I have if finding a clean ol burban to start with.

There's old crew cabs around, saw a mid 60's dodge down in Kentucky a few years ago. Don't know if there was GM stuff at the time.

I don't do a lot of hauling, my pickup is more of a errand-runner and occassional small trailer puller. My ideal truck isn't available in this country. It would be a Ford Ranger extended cab decked out with a 'Lariat' or 'Eddie Bauer' luxury package. I recently moved 'up' to an F150 Lariat simply because there isn't a Ranger available with the options I want.

Back