What is your ideal truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last post

i probably shouldn't reply, but...

my 4x4 Suburban (aka: "car") K1500 has pulled loads of wood, fill dirt, cars, motorcycles/atvs, and stuck vehicles. the space behind the seat has hauled building materials (lumber), rotary tillers, appliances, and sofas. maybe it is a car, but is a large and strong car that seems to be able to pull or haul (especially with a trailer) as much as a truck.

and finally, i believe i have as much room behind my 2nd seat as these short bed , 4-door trucks i see. those things have very small beds.

Take my 1996 Chev 4x4 shortbox and then magically make it:

1) Float on snow

attachment.php

2) Electrocute the bugger that stole the tailgate off it while it was in the driveway.

3) Get 50 mpg on regular

4) Make the box automatically extend when needed

attachment.php

5) Make so that all 4 wheels turn so I can put the thing into these itty bitty parking spots in the new malls with narrow lanes

spacemule said:
BS. Suburbans are considered trucks by all here that I know of. Regardless, whatever you choose to call it does not change the object in any way. In fact, they make 1 ton Suburbans. I've seen a few with dual wheels. I bet the "truck" you drive is a Volvo. :laugh:
You have a tough CAR. The truck I drive is an International.

stihlatit said:
I am ten years your senior and have spent my whole working life in auto as a union official. I just checked on a american dealer site and it is as I said. Stick to trees, make your logs and be a good little boy and stay out of auto. I know this will put steam in your ears so enjoy the heat sonny.

Arnie

Doesn't steam my ears you silly old Canadian codger. Be calm our you might blow a fuse. Suburban's a car.

We had a guy down here who would put cutlass-type bodies on top of 3/4-ton 4x4 pickup chassis, and paint them gov't camo. A survivalist type. What do you call that?

The odd thing is that the "survivalist" died a spectacular death. He managed to ignite a few sticks of dynamite while in a big enclosed "tree stand" one night. Rattled windows in three counties--couldn't find a big enough piece of him to put in a box.

SO, back to the truck/car thing. 1/2-ton pickups are much more like a car than a truck to me--and I drove F-150's for over 10 years.

But I really don't care what YOUR truck/car/motorcycle/saw is. I like mine and I hope you are happy with yours.:buttkick:

I'm going fishing.:laugh:

WadePatton said:
We had a guy down here who would put cutlass-type bodies on top of 3/4-ton 4x4 pickup chassis, and paint them gov't camo. A survivalist type. What do you call that?

A "rurnt" Cutlass and a wasted truck frame.

sunshineband said:
my 4x4 Suburban (aka: "car") K1500 has pulled loads of wood, fill dirt, cars, motorcycles/atvs, and stuck vehicles...... maybe it is a car, but is a large and strong car that seems to be able to pull or haul (especially with a trailer) as much as a truck.

My son-in-law's 1999 4X4 Suburban K1500 towed my Woodsman 18X chipper (8500 lbs) once. He could only pull a small hill at 20 mph. In contrast, my Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins diesel pulls the same chipper on that same hill at 45 mph. I don't think too much of its towing ability, but it can carry a huge amount of stuff safely inside the vehicle. He now uses it as his "truck" with the rear seat removed. He is in construction.

To me real trucks must have full floating rear axles. Anything else is a facsimile of a truck.

s10 cab on a blazer frame 510 ci.fuel injected BB th400 205 t case 40" boggers :D it can get you to work and skid the trees back home:D
attachment.php

[/QUOTE] SO, back to the truck/car thing. 1/2-ton pickups are much more like a car than a truck to me--and I drove F-150's for over 10 years.

But I really don't care what YOUR truck/car/motorcycle/saw is. I like mine and I hope you are happy with yours.:buttkick:
[/QUOTE]

ya'...what he said.

Koa Man said:
My son-in-law's 1999 4X4 Suburban K1500 towed my Woodsman 18X chipper (8500 lbs) once. He could only pull a small hill at 20 mph. In contrast, my Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins diesel pulls the same chipper on that same hill at 45 mph. I don't think too much of its towing ability, but it can carry a huge amount of stuff safely inside the vehicle. He now uses it as his "truck" with the rear seat removed. He is in construction.

To me real trucks must have full floating rear axles. Anything else is a facsimile of a truck.

Ya', what he said too!<snicker>

OK, seems this one's settled. If it has a whimpy frame and nothing less than full floating axles under it. It's a car.
Nuff said.

stihlatit said:
Hey RB count all the nice North American built trucks in here. Especially the trucks. Hmmmmm!!!!! Not much foreign content here. Guess we know wha does the work.

Arnie

Is that a chip on your shoulder? I thought so! I have nothing against American trucks, even if they are made in Mexico or Canada. But there is no comparison between US and Jap compact pickups, which is what suits my needs right now.

yanno i`ve always driven american trucks in my 9 years of having a license (mostly dodge diesels or old chevies with cummins swapped in) but the japs do make a damn reliable truck, if I was gonna drive a half ton truck it`d probably be a toyota tundra, which by the way has been built in the states for years.

I am driving my ideal truck right now. 2000 Nissan Frontier. It's small, fuel efficient, and almost paid for.

My Truck

This is my truck, a '99 Dodge V-10. In the background is an industrial park that I helped to clear about 15 years ago. The big Dodge rolls on 38" Swamper radials and averages a whopping 7 mpg.:bang:

Last edited:
I'm ALMOST in my ideal truck, after the engine/tranny swap, it will be ideal. got an 83 ranger, 2.0l straight 4 and 4 spd tranny, plus a whopping 73 hp. gonna put a 2.3L and M5OD 5 spd in it to gain roughly 140 hp or so, and possibly a few mpg more than the 20-24 I'm getting now. its beat up, and ugly, but still rust free, and paid for.

Latest posts

Back