What is your preferred bar length?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huntaholic

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see all these threads that pop up here and on other sites with people asking "whats the longest bar I can run?" and several other variations of that question. I just don't get it? Are they trying to compensate for other shortcomings or what?????? I use chainsaws to make a living and myself along with every other logger I know use a 20" bar 95% of the time. It balances better, cuts faster, cheaper to replace, faster sharpening, better oiling, the list goes on and on. Anything longer than that and its just a cumbersome hindrance to work with. Very seldom to I run across a tree that actually NEEDS a longer bar to cut!

I agree with 20" as long as the saw has the guts for it. Say maybe 60 cc plus. I very seldom run anything else, but I also have 16", 18" and 25" available if warranted.

But I also think there's a lot of reasons why folks would ask, especially if they have only one saw, or plan to buy only one saw.

I use the bar that is appropriately sized for the wood I am cutting, as well as the saw CC size
447af871dc59e0171a14fc60c3a5952c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Displacement isn't an issue. My felling saw is a 390xp and it wears a 20" bar. Ive got an ms660 with a 25" and another 390xp with a 28" bar just in case. I get it about folks with only one saw wanting to know what bar length to get, my answer is a 20" bar will cut 99% of anything a casual user or homeowner will run across. Its just one of those questions that kinda puzzles me.

This week even the 25 inch bar on my Stihl 441 seems to short. We been trying to open up some trails on our property that been covered with huge oaks that were up rooted by a tornado May 2017.
Big trees need a big bar if you don’t want to spend a lot of wasted time trying to cut through them.

When I have to crawl up a 45 degree slope my 18" B&C is about all I can handle. Sometimes I get there and think, Damn, should brought the bigger saw. Sometimes you just have to make due with what ya got.

I can agree with 20", nice balance.

Age has caught up to me so at present I prefer 18" bar and 50cc.

I generally have a 25" on whatever I am felling with and 28 or 32 on whatever I am limbing with.

Not a logger, but for falling bigger stems I prefer a bar as long as the diameter at the cut. For general use 20” is fine. For back bar cutting small stuff on the ground for firewood 28” to 33”.

In my opinion, comes down to personal preference in most cases though personally I don’t cut anything hard enough to need more than 60 cc to pull a 20” bar. 90+ cc saw with a 20” bar outside of Australia is something I don’t understand.

Ron

Out here a 32” is a normal bar, when I got broke in cutting I ran a 32 and a 42 a lot depending on timber size. Anymore I’ll use a 32 or 36 depending on timber terrain, if I have to jack, get up on boards, and how my back feels that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The largest tree that I have had to deal with in many years was 9' or 108'' so needed a 48'' to get through it. To make up the slack had to be a little creative. I have only used that 48'' bar a hand full of times. For most part a 30'' will do. Why lug around some thing bigger than you have to have. Last week started on a 50'' but with little problem have been able to get though with the 30'' bars. Within 10 to 12' of the base they usually trim down to 40 or 45''. Shorter bars go faster lighter and cheaper. Thanks

Not sure what diameter the OP usually cuts, but I am told sawmills around here won’t take a four footer so it is doubtful that he is logging many in that range. Most loads I see around here are 30” and down - mostly down.

Though I have longer bars, my 125 handles best with a 33” bar. With a little Euro sawing I fell a 6’+ (at the cut) oak with it.

Ron

I use 20" for my 441
20" for my 362
20" for my craftsman 3300
there is no 20" for my Homelite XL don't have a clue what size it has.

I guess I like a 20" bar, though it was a bit short for the 48" oak I cut a few years back. in the end I didn't need the extra length as weight of the rounds finished off the uncut portion of wood when rolled. so still I like 20" bar.

Total noob here...... But, I like the 20" as many have said. I do like a longer bar 28" with for limbing downed trees it's nice not to have to bend down.

BR,

~TW

Latest posts

Back